X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike_T_
    • Jan 2004

Disable sub on Multi input?

I apologize ahead on this if it's been covered..but I can't see a way to turn the sub off, for only the multi input..is it possible? The 1.50 update I just installed says that you can now disable the sub for individual inputs.
  • Mike_T_
    • Jan 2004

Looks like the answer is shut the sub off, or do the bass mod...just saw the post...

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

After you have the bass doubling modification, the multi channel analogue input is a simple passthrough. So, any signal coming in from the LFE input will be output.

You will have to use bassmanagement on the source that is connected to the multichannel input to turn of subwoofer usage.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You can still turn the sub off if you like by adjusting the LFE volume for the multi channel input down to the off position. Though I'm not sure why you'd want to if you've done the BM fix.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

He might want to if he prefers, like myself, to listen to all his music (stereo and multichannel) sans subwoofer. But he still has to turn the sub off in the source component.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
            You can still turn the sub off if you like by adjusting the LFE volume for the multi channel input down to the off position. Though I'm not sure why you'd want to if you've done the BM fix.
            That way you loose the LFE. This you do not want normally, therefore you should not use this method.

Comment

• hanser
              • May 2002

I always have the sub disabled on the Multi input. I do not own a single hirez disc, that is remotely lacking in bass. All the bass is there, in the main channels. In my opinion, the LFE on hirez is just doubling some of the bass content of the main channels, for those who do not have large speakers nor bass management for hirez.

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by hanser
                I always have the sub disabled on the Multi input. I do not own a single hirez disc, that is remotely lacking in bass. All the bass is there, in the main channels. In my opinion, the LFE on hirez is just doubling some of the bass content of the main channels, for those who do not have large speakers nor bass management for hirez.
                hanser, where do you have the sub disabled? You just turn off your subwoofer or do you have it disabled in your player?

LFE on a dvd-audio or SACD is there for a reason, I hardly think they put it there as a doubling of whats in the main channel.

Comment

• hanser
                  • May 2002

I have it turned to off in the sub menu in the Rotel 1066. Unfortunately, my player has no bass management, so turning it off there would result in the same effect, i.e. loss of LFE.

LFE on a dvd-audio or SACD is there for a reason, I hardly think they put it there as a doubling of whats in the main channel.
                  LFE is a evolutionary relict from the multichannel layout of movies. Music does not need it, since you have already lots of full range channels, able to carry all the bass you want. Many SACDs are in fact 5.0 or 4.0
                  By the way, there are many alternative channel layouts without it, e.g. Cheskys 6.0 system, or MDG´s 6.0. Telarc also uses the .1 often as a height channel.
                  I own at least one SACD, where there is an explicit note in the booklet that the LFE signal is not necessary for the mix, but a kind of a superfluos "add-on" for additional punch. Its "Alpine Symphony" released by Deutsche Grammaphone. I assume all DGG SACD are mixed this way. And I suspect that most engineer from other labels think similar. At least I would, if I were an engineer.

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by hanser
                    I have it turned to off in the sub menu in the Rotel 1066. Unfortunately, my player has no bass management, so turning it off there would result in the same effect, i.e. loss of LFE.

LFE is a evolutionary relict from the multichannel layout of movies. Music does not need it, since you have already lots of full range channels, able to carry all the bass you want. Many SACDs are in fact 5.0 or 4.0
                    By the way, there are many alternative channel layouts without it, e.g. Cheskys 6.0 system, or MDG´s 6.0. Telarc also uses the .1 often as a height channel.
                    I own at least one SACD, where there is an explicit note in the booklet that the LFE signal is not necessary for the mix, but a kind of a superfluos "add-on" for additional punch. Its "Alpine Symphony" released by Deutsche Grammaphone. I assume all DGG SACD are mixed this way. And I suspect that most engineer from other labels think similar. At least I would, if I were an engineer.

Nope, not all multichannel SACD's (or dvd-audio's) are in 5.0 or use the .1 for extra bass. In fact the ones that I own do have an LFE.

Turning off your subwoofer in the setup of the 1066 won't do much for the multichannel analogue input, since its just a pass through.

Comment

• hanser
                      • May 2002

Nope, not all multichannel SACD's (or dvd-audio's) are in 5.0 or use the .1 for extra bass. In fact the ones that I own do have an LFE.
                      Do you know for sure, from an reliable source like an recording engineer, that there are SACDs where a part of the intended bass is removed from the main channels and put instead on the LFE? Because that´s what you are saying, right?
                      If yes, I would like to know , which SACD.

Turning off your subwoofer in the setup of the 1066 won't do much for the multichannel analogue input, since its just a pass through.
                      There is an distinct turn-off option in the setup for the multi input. Why would this be there, if it would have no effect??? And by the way, I hear the result: no sound coming out of the sub!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"