X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

1066 and 5.1 multi input issue

OK - I may be dumb, but I am a bit confused and I am hoping that one of you wizzkids can help me out.

Using my RDV1080 connected to my RSP1066 using 5.1 multi-input.
    When playing a DVD-audio disc I select the multi-input , but the display on my 1066 still only shows left, right and LFE.
    If I press the multi-input while I have the CD source input selected in two channel, my sub is gone, as I have set that for none on the stereo setting - but the rear speakers are on.
    If I select video5 it goes into prologic mode and all channels are lit - but I dont know if it is doing the processing or not.
    Funny thing is if I select video 5 and then multi and then 2 channel - it seems to be working..

Can someone figure out what the &/&%ยค is happening and what did Rotel actually think people would do in terms of input and setup???

Finally - how can you select multi-input from the remote? Dont seem to be any button for that..
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Except for the little red "Multi" LED that comes on, hitting multi input will not alter anything current on the display. The display will still show the previous input (and its speaker setup), the one in use before you hit multi input.

For multi input, your speaker setup is controlled by the DVD player, not the 1066. However, the 1066 can turn off or control the subwoofer output. In your 1080, I'm pretty sure you have your speaker outputs setup as 5.1 But in the 1066, check your sub level setting for the multi input, as you might have it as Off. That's why when you hit multi, your rears are active (as should be your fronts and center) but your sub is not.

Do you use any digital connections between the 1080 and 1066? What is going into the CD input?

I'm not clear on what you're saying about Video 5. It seems for Video 5, you have selected Dolby Pro Logic as the default sound mode.

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

The sub level for the multi input is 0 DB - so it is on.
      The setup on the 1080 is 5.1 with everything done correct.
      I dont use digital connections on my cd, as I have external DAC.
      I am guessing that what is happening is that the 2 channel model somehow overides the multimode so that the sub have no output - but only on the cd input as "background" if you can follow me.
      Going to the video5 is just another way of picking an input channel that is not used (my only one left) and there it defaults to prologic, but when I then select two channel stereo everything works fine...

I am just a bit puzzled :??

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

It sounds like you use the 1080 for DVD and DVD-A (via multi input) and a separate transport-DAC combo for CD playback (via the CD input). Am I right?

Anyway, the multi input overrides all other inputs, but not vice versa.
        When you hit Video 5, it goes to Dolby Pro Logic. Then, all six speaker indicators light up, since you, of course, set up the 1066 to have a 5.1 output.

A) If you hit 2-ch with Video 5 selected, then you just changed the sound mode to stereo. Since you set the sub level to off in stereo mode, your sub is gone.

B) If you hit multi input with Video 5 selected, nothing on the display changes except that the red "Multi" LED comes on. The six speaker LEDs are still on but they do not refer to the multi input speaker setup.

C) I need to confirm this when I get home, but if you hit multi input with Video 5 selected, then hit 2-ch, you change the sound mode for Video 5 to stereo (NOT the multi input) but remain in multi input

OR

you change the sound mode for Video 5 and go back to Video 5 (in other words, de-selecting multi input).

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Complex - nes pas..

For C: Selecting video 5 and then multi and then 2 channel gets all channels working including the sub.. So I dont de-select.

For B: Agree - but how comes the prologic is still turned on in the display? Thats why I am asking if it does do any processing. I cant tell if it does from the sound..

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

C: If it doesn't de-select, then you remain in multi input, which means all your speakers should be active, as you configured a 5.1 output in your RDV-1080 and your sub level for multi input is at 0 dB. Again, you changed the sound mode for Video 5, not for the multi input, since you don't have sound modes for the multi input.

B: That's because you have Dolby Pro Logic as the default sound mode for Video 5. When you select multi input, the display still refers to Video 5. You are not listening to DPL. The multi input is purely an analog bypass; the 1066 is just passing the signal coming from the source machine along to the power amp.

Oh yeah: You can select the multi input on the remote by pressing the Ext In button.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"