X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • servo01
    • Jan 2004

1098/Sub Question

Hello@ All,

I do seem to have a problem with my 1098/Sub.

Usually my sub comes on as soon as I feed it with a Dolby Digital or DTS Signal.

It does not come on automatically when fed with PL II and Stereo.

The setup is correct.

I use 5 identical speakers (set to large ) and the crossover frequency is set to 40 Hz.
    Did I do something wrong in the setup ??

The sub out volume in the 1098 is set to maxfor PL II.

Thanks for all hints and sorry for my bad english !!

Greetings from germany
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

The problem is this, because you set all your speakers to large, the subwoofer doesn't receive ANY low frequencies (redirected bass) from your 5 channels.
    The only thing it gets is the LFE channel, which is only present on DD and DTS signals, not in stereo or PLII or any other mode.
    Also, if you set your speakers as "Large" they get ALL the bass information for that channel, no matter what you set your crossover to.
    The "large" setting overrides the crossover settings.
    If you want your sub to play along in stereo, you have to set your speakers to Small and set a crossover.
    Or you can leave them set as Large if you really want to, but then you have to set the subwoofer (in the speakers menu) to MAX instead of YES.
    That way all the bass going to the large speakers, is duplicated to the sub.
    Problem is you'll get twice the bass, which isn't really correct.
    I'd advise using the "small" setting with 40, 60 or 80 Hz crossover depending on the size of your speakers and their frequency range.

Comment

• skipm
      • Jun 2003

Well said DrBoom and a warm welcome to the club and congratulations on getting the 1098 Servo01. Your english is just fine and let us know if you have any other questions.

-Skip

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Yes, well said Dr. Boom.

Does the 1098 allow you to set different speakers sizes (ie: large, small) for the different surround modes like you can adjust the sub level etc for the different surroud modes? What are the options on the 1098 that can be changed again..? If that were the case he could say set the speakers to large for DLP II Music and small for DPL II Cinema... allowing him to listen to music without a sub but utilize it for movies, TV etc.

I myself have my speakers set to large in my 1066 which works great in my set up for DD/DTS and music and I just do without the sub for DPL II Cinema...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

The 1098 does in fact allow speaker size settings for different sources.
          You can select speakers to be Large, Small or follow the Master setting for Dolby, DTS, Stereo and Music modes.
          Dolby includes PLII-C, PLII-M, DD, DD-EX and so on, while DTS also includes the neo:6 setting and DTS-ES.
          So you can set the speakers for Stereo to Large, and for Dolby and DTS to Small (if you wanted to do that).
          If they're set to small, you can specify the crossover frequency independently for Front, Center and Rear speakers.
          But you can't set different crossovers for different surroundmodes.

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

I would recommend against setting your fronts to large and use the MAX setting. In the cases that you do want only your fronts to be used for stereo sources, just switch to bypass mode for that stereo input. This will make the 1098 use the fronts as Large regardless of the large/small setting.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

That's too bad DPL II Music and Cinema get lumped together for the large /small setting though I do understand why. I wonder if that's something that a software upgrade could handle? I know subs and the components feeding them have improved drastically over recent years but I still prefer to listen to my music sans sub. Stereo or multichannel.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• servo01
                • Jan 2004

Thank you for all your help folks.

I`ll give it a try over the weekend.

Cheers

Servo

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"