X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oyama
    • Jan 2006

RSP-985 Firmware Rev.

Does anyone know the last Firmware Rev. on the RSP-985?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I don't believe they were every user upgradeable, but I'm not sure what the latest would be. I know there was an update to fix some DTS issues, but Rotel performed those updates.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Oyama
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for your reply Kevin...

I read one of Rotel's tech notes on how to replace the RSP 985 software IC. So this got me thinking.

Comment

• Oyama
        • Jan 2006

Bump

Anyone?

Comment

• DSGCobra
          • Feb 2003

man the 985 brings back some memories. great h/t processor, I agree they are not user upgradeable. Rotel was reprogramming them at the factory to change some DTS settings, sent mine in because the DTS would cut out like half way through a movie. no longer own it though, have upgraded to the 1098.

Comment

• Oyama
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DSGCobra
            I agree they are not user upgradeable. Rotel was reprogramming them at the factory to change some DTS settings, sent mine in because the DTS would cut out like half way through a movie. no longer own it though, have upgraded to the 1098.
            I don't have any problems with DTS, but I do notice the digital signal coming from my Star Choice receiver cuts in and out intermittently... I'm really not sure if its the RSP-985 or my Star Choice receiver..

Comment

• THXTEX
              • Jul 2003

Hi

Read the last post from me in this thread:

There is a list of the FW, that I have seen. They all had different colors - not version numbers.

Comment

• Oyama
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by THXTEX
                Hi

Read the last post from me in this thread:

There is a list of the FW, that I have seen. They all had different colors - not version numbers.
                Thanks THXTEX for shedding some light on the different firmware revisions. I really haven't had a chance to open my unit up yet, but will try sometime very soon now that you've got curiosity and I'll report back... :T

Comment

• Oyama
                  • Jan 2006

Well...I finally had a chance to peek inside my 985, thanks to the information provided by THXTEX, I was able to locate and identify the firmware chip (IC49) in my unit.

First off, I noticed that my firmware chip had a white sticker on it and going from THXTEX's description, this would mean its an original first run firmware chip. I also noticed that one of the pins was not sitting correctly in the socket, but bent outward. h: I managed to pull the chip out (used a static mat and strap) and carefully bent it back to normal position, then reseating it back into the socket.

Anyway, I plan on e-mailing Rotel and asking if there would be by any chance later firmware chips still available for the RSP-985 kicking around. I know its a long shot, but it's worth a try...Wish me luck!

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

They probably burned them as needed, shouldn't be a problem to get one with the latest version.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Oyama
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                      They probably burned them as needed, shouldn't be a problem to get one with the latest version.

Good luck!

Kevin D.
                      I hope so and thanks!

Comment

• Oyama
                        • Jan 2006

I received an e-mail today from Rotel, telling me that upgraded EPROM chips are still available for the RSP 985 processor. I was given a part #, so I went ahead and placed an order with their parts department...

I'm very impressed with Rotel's response time to my e-mail and this is a big plus in my books. :T

Comment

• THXTEX
                          • Jul 2003

Hi,

Glad I could help:-)Will you please tell me the color of the sticker on the chip and if you get other information about the revision.

Oh, can anyone here tell med how my RSP-985 would work with DVDA? I think I read that all analog inputs are sampled - then digitially processed - and then converted back to analog.
                          What about the 5.1 input - is this input also sampled? I don't think the processor is able to handle 96kHz.

Comment

• Oyama
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by THXTEX
                            Hi,

Glad I could help:-)Will you please tell me the color of the sticker on the chip and if you get other information about the revision.
                            I received my firmware chip on Monday, but I still haven't had a chance to install it. Here's a pic of the new chip, which has a gold (copper?) label on it. I received no other information on the chip, so I'm assuming from your description that its the last known revision (Gold - Dec 00, The fixes involved relate to the screen 'white out' when a DVD player cannot keep up with the information from the Disc, it can loose information, causing the screen to go 'blank' momentarily), and also signal recognition. (Info from Rotel).

Comment

• THXTEX
                              • Jul 2003

OK, thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"