X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

RDV-1060 vs 1040

Ok.. Trying to decide on a new dvd player.. I know older panasonics and the new Denons would have better pictures than either of the Rotel's, but with my luck and the overall trend in DVD players I would rather take a 5yr warrenty and higher build quality than better picture..

That said, I've had two DVD-audio players and have yet to hook up the multi outs on either one of them.. I just don't have enough desire to listen to the current media that's out there to care enough.. Does anyone know if the 1040 is a 1060 without DVD-A, or is it an overall cheaper player with worse video circuits and such?

I could easily sell the two DVD players I have now and get a 1040.. A 1060 would stress me a bit.. I guess I'm worried about paying a lot more for a 1060 to never use the only thing that may be truely better about it (DVD-A).

Any thoughts? Rotel lists the chip in the 1040, but not the 1060.. In fact most of the spec listings don't list much about video performance..

Thanks,

Kevin D.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Kevin, I've owned quite a few DVD players over the years and have never had any of them stop working. Personally I'd be more wary about spending a bunch of money on something that will be out of date before the warranty expires. Also Denon is not known for shotty components. Though maybe not quite as solid as something from Rotel, I really doubt you'd have any problems. Personally being that top notch video performance is not a must I'd say just get a Denon 2200 for now and save your money for when companies (hopefully Rotel) comes out with a machine that you're sure you want. Also from what I heard the PQ of the 1060 anyways is pretty darn good. Not sure how it compares to the higher Denon's though..

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Ouch.. Guess I should have prefaced my message saying that since I'm buying under employee discount I wouldn't even have to pay as much for the 1060 as I would the Denon 2200...

I'm looking at $450 for the 1060 and $250 for the 1040.. I guess I'm wondering if the 1060 is worth $200 more because of better video, or am I really paying $200 for DVD-A that I'll never use.. In all honesty, I would probably sell either in a year when I can buy at a discount again, so I'm mainly looking at 'a' warranty vs 'no' warranty on an RP82 or the like..

As far as problems, my first DVD players broke after a year, and I'm on my third laser in my current Technics DVD-a10.. I'd keep the technics as it was a $1200 player and I can pick up lasers all day long at $40, but it's not progressive..

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

That does change things a bit! 8O ...lol Having looked on their web page I'm tempted to reccomend the 1040. It seems to be able to play DVD+/-R/RW discs (which the 1060 makes no claim of) as well as jpeg's and CD-R/RW discs with MP3 and WMA-encoded music files. What they really need on their web page is a set up to pick products and compare them. (ie: their processors, DAC's, outputs, format etc.) I'd write an email off to Rotel and ask them to break down for you what the individual stats and differences are between the players. Unless someone on here knows....? Anyone?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Just when ya think you got it all figured out Rotel introduces yet another player the 1050!

Check out this link:

Something else for you to consider now ..lol

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"