X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

RDV (1040,1050,1060) or RCD1072 + RDV?

Hi. I mostly listen to music but occasionally watch movies. Since I place more value to listening to music should I get separate CD and DVD players? I have read that some people notice a considerable difference when playing a CD on the RDV and the RCD. If the difference is big then I would be inclined to get separate players as well, even though I would prefer (my wallet prefers it too) to just get a single system.

What are people's experiences?

Do the RDV series play music well? Are there differences between the various models in terms of sound quality?

If I do go with the RCD1072 should I just get the RDV1040 or are there some difference in terms of video that the 1050 or 1060 offer?

By the way, what is DVD-A?

Thanks in advance
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

In my honest opinion, and I am an amateur, to me personally I prefer to listen to a CD on a Analog CD player because to me the sound of a normal CD on a a DVD compnent sounds too bright and artificial. The highs are too bright and I find it too digital sounding to my taste. On the other hand ,the CD player is more subtle in sound and more natural with more bass and the sound to me is tight and correct with no artificial feeling to it. To me it is like comparing a photo that is glossy(DVD player) ; and Mate (toned down) which is the (CD Player). I have the RDV-1060 and for HT it is sensational and great sound and picture. It will also play DVD-A on your RDV(Rotel) that you want to buy and DVD-A is a DVD with Audio capabilities. I am not an expert here but yes a DVD-A on the RDV-1060 or any other DVD player that plays DVD-A will make the music so perfect in my opinion and yes there it sounds better than music palyed on a normal CD player. You cannot play DVD-A on normal CD players so yes the DVD-A is so superior in sound in my opinion. However, be careful on what you pick because there are very few recordings in the market that have DVD-A format and Normal CD's are common so if you can afford both go for it. If you are a music guy then get the CD Player but if you are more HT and less music get the RDV-1060 and it will play all what you want. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• fordster
      • Feb 2005

I think my RDV-1060 is a better CD player than my RCD-02. I've not listened to an RCD-1072 so can't say how that sounds but I'd imagine it is better than the RDV-1060. How much better and whether it's worth the money is probably something only you can decide as everybody's opinion of what is worth the extra is different.
      I've only tried a couple of DVD Audios and at present I don't have a fantastic AV amp but I have to say that I prefer good old CD.
      Dave

Comment

• miket
        • Oct 2004

Hi,
        I recently upgraded to the rdv1050 and rcd1072 with an rc1070 plus aktive linn power amps and speakers. The rcd1072 is noticeably better than the rcd02 and the rdv1050 in playing cds, especially well recorded ones like dire straits, pink floyd etc etc. My advice is go seperates, get the 1050/1060 for ht and the 1072 for cds. If you are on a tight budget get the rdv1050 or 1060 and use it to play cds, in the future for an upgrade you can always get a seperate cd player. Anyhow the rdv1050 still does a decent job, but once you're won gold you will never be 100% satisfied winning silver ....

miket

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

I A/B compared the RDV1050 and the RCD1072; for me the difference is big (the RCD1072 is alot better). Another option, one that I did not try, would be a RDV1040 with a Benchmark DAC1. Maybe that you would get the CD performance of the RCD1072 and the dvd-v performance of the RDV1060. Anybody knows if the DAC1 would do so?

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. It looks like I will go with the rcd1072 + rdc1050 or 1060. Now I need to figure out the differences between the 1050 and 1060.

This may be a dumb question but here goes:

It looks like the 1060 has a 12V trigger. Does that mean I can use a rsp1068 trigger to turn on the 1060? Or is this trigger just an output to be used to turn on other things? Or do these triggers work as input or output?

Comment

• Boone38
              • Dec 2004

I also have the RDV 1060 and bought it over a seperate DVD vs CD player. The 1060 in my humble opinion sounds much better for DVD and CD then the 1040 and 1050. ( I bought the 1050 then took it back and upgraded to the 1060 after 2 days). I use the 1068 as well and Yes you can use the 12v trigger to turn the player on and off. Good Luck.

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Did someone directly compare the RDV1060 to the RCD1072 for CD playback? And what about the DAC1 that we often hear about?

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                  • May 2004

I have the RDV-1060 and the RCD-1072's predecessor the RCD-1070. Heck, even the RCD-1070 sounds better on CD playback than the RDV-1060. (and the RCD-1072 is reported to be better than the RCD-1070). It's hard to find any DVD player at a 'reasonable' price that can beat out Rotels CD players on CD playback. The RDV-1060's playback of DVD-A is exceptional though, and has been well worth the investment!

Cracking!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"