X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doodleboytoy
    • Jun 2003

Another Bi-amping question for 1075 - or Bi-amped 1075 vs. 1080

Finally decided on my speakers B&W 803 fronts, HTM 2 center and cheapo 600's for my side and rear surrounds (ran out of money he he he).

Now the question- (I think i brought this up before and Andrew kinda answered it but i lost that thread.)

1) B&W recommend bi-amping or bi-wiring for their speakers (they have two sets of inputs). How do I do that with the 1075? Will bi-amping increase power to 240 watts (120 x 120) I am using the other one for the center and a 1055 for the surrounds. How do you set the 1055 to reconize that the four channels from the 1075 are for the front L and R and one for center?

2) Will a bi-amped 1075 out-perform the 200 watt 1080?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1) B&W recommend bi-amping or bi-wiring for their speakers (they have two sets of inputs). How do I do that with the 1075? How do you set the 1055 to reconize that the four channels from the 1075 are for the front L and R and one for center?
    What you need to do is buy a Y splitter the has two male ends and a single female end. You'd then run a single RCA cable from the front right pre out to the splitter and plug the splitter into the front and rear right inputs on the 1075 amp. Its then a simple case of running two speaker cables from these amp channels to the upper and lower binding posts on the speakers. You must first remove the metal plate on the speakers though that joins the two binding posts together or you'll short it out.

Will bi-amping increase power to 240 watts (120 x 120)
    No since there's still some interaction with the crossovers but it should sound better then a single 120 watt channel esp if you run the speaker full range.

I am using the other one for the center and a 1055 for the surrounds.
    That should be fine.

2) Will a bi-amped 1075 out-perform the 200 watt 1080?
    No for a few reasons. One the 1080 will put out a true 200 watts to the speaker and second being a two channel amp its power supply only has to deal with two channels vs 5. I've also being told the 2 channel amps might sound a little different then the 5 channel amps due to some sublte design differences (freq response is wider for the 5 channel amps intended for HT) The damping factor is much higher on the 1080 as well. And if you look at the wattage the 1080 uses 550 watts where the 1075 only uses 800 for all 5 channels.

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

I really think you should have saved up and treat the 803's to the awesome power and handling of the RB1090. A speaker that quality and price deserves no less than a good amp that matches it and can make it sound good.

The 1090 is essentially two monoblock amps in one chassis, which means each has its own transformer to feed it.
      The 1080 is a good second choice, although I feel that a RMB1095 is better in that case. The 1095 has also two transformers and when connected well, you can use each tranformer for each channel in stereo use. For HT use it has to share those with the other three channels, but that is quite okay.

The minimum you can do is bi-amp with the 1075, however it will never reach the quality of the 1080, 1095 or the 1090.

I use a RB1090 on B&W Nautilus 804's and also own a 1075, but the 1075 just sucks in comparison. (the 1075 will be sold soon and i start saving up for a 1095).

I don't know who advised you but for consistency with the 803's, you should have gotten the HTM1. Its much much better and integrates into the system a lot better. Anyway... thats just my humble opinion.

Comment

• Energeezer
        • Sep 2002

Dood
        Just an FYI
        I had my system bi-amped as Andrew has described usinfg a 1055/1075 combo but I did not like it. I found that it DID increase dynamics to some extent at loud volumes BUT there was just something missing. I'm not sure how to explain it but the sound just seemed less cohesive. Remember if you have gone to efforts to get good interconnects and then through a splitter in the mix you have changed everything.
        That said. if you want to do it I'll sell you a pair of straightwire interconnect splitters which will allow you to bi-amp. These are decent splitters but as I said they will change the sound somewhat and if you have done a lot of cable testing to find your perfect cables they could through it off.
        On the other hand if you are starting from scratch you could match your interconnects to your sys with the splitters in the mix and all should be good. I am only speculating that the splitters may have been the problem as they are good splitters. Could also have been the speaker wire since you need two sets of speaker wires per speaker. I'm just not sure.
        Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
        The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• doodleboytoy
          • Jun 2003

I think I will limit my choices to the 1080, 1090 then since the power of a bi-amped 1075 might not be enough to make my 803's sing. Right now I am leaning towards the 1080 due to budget contraints but might save up for the 1090.

Had anybody compared the 1080 and 1090 side by side?

Scrap - can you tell me more about how I can use each transformer for each stereo for the 1095? Kinda got lost there. However, given that my surrounds are B&W 600's - which I do not think need 200 watts; I might opt for the 380 watt 1090 for my fronts given that they both retail for the same price.

Scrap - can you tell me more about your set-up? How did you wire your 804's? B&W recommends bi-wiring or bi-amping. Reason I am getting the HTM2 is... hmmm... ran out of cash hahaha. I listen mostly to stereo and I just have this stupid theory that perfect timbre is not as critical for movies given that only 50% of your attention is on the audio. The other 50% is on the screen. At least my fronts will be all nautilus speakers.That is why I am using 600 for surrounds. Hope it will work he he he.

Also heard that Plinius goes well with B&W. How is it compare to Rotel amps?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Doodle no doubt Pillius goes well with B&W...they ought to given the cost they go for Seriously I think you're on the right track with the 1080 or 1090 for the fronts. I've seen a few people compare the two and they all say the 1090 has much better control over their speakers but then its quite a bit more espensive as well.

Comment

• doodleboytoy
              • Jun 2003

THANKS ALL for your words of wisdom. I think I know what to get. Wwill try to audition the 1080 vs. 1090 - I hope I hope the dealer here in the Philippines have both and will allow me to audition at home. Most do not!

As for the pre/pro - receiver. I'll use the 1055. Unless there is a newer model coming out in a year then I will wait he he he.

Bye bye Plinius just heard a lot of people matching them with B&W claiming that it offsets the weaknesses of the B&W speakers. Which I think are kinda bright so it needs a neutral amp with tube like sound.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"