Do you plug your Amp into the line conditioner?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • titan7
    • Dec 2005

Do you plug your Amp into the line conditioner?

I just picked up a MC HTS 3500MKII, It has 2 high current outlets with a delay. I keep the AMP power button on and power up with the on button on the 3500. I figure it's protected and filtered. I have the CD and tuner plugged in to the switched outlets on the Pre-amp and I plugged the pre-amp into the another filtered/protected outlet on the conditioner. Somebody told me I am starving the Amp??

How are you hooked up?
    Last edited by titan7; 12 January 2006, 04:14 Thursday.
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

cnage to dedicated lines for the amps, it made a huge improvement on my system, your doing right in the other compomets

Kurt

Comment

• Joey_V
      • Jul 2005

I plugged mine to the 3500mk2.
      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• titan7
        • Dec 2005

Thanks!

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

I plugged my RB-1080 at my Belkin PureAV PF60 amp socket and felt it lacked something. It is now plugged directly to the wall.

Comment

• benny
            • Jan 2005

You are limiting current to your amp by plugging it into the Monster. I would plug it into the wall or into a non current limiting conditioner like a Richard Grey.

Comment

• DSGCobra
              • Feb 2003

mine showed up today too. Killer deal on those. I am actually going to dissamble my entire system and rewire it so it looks just as good from the back. Pics to follow :B .

Comment

• tech_table
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by benny
                You are limiting current to your amp by plugging it into the Monster. I would plug it into the wall or into a non current limiting conditioner like a Richard Grey.
                I had all my gears plugged into HTS 3600 MKII, been using like this for several years, just for better, plus it's bit less worry, during the storm season, which causing the power to flickering. I do not know, if using like this is limiting current or not. But like to have something to protect my gears being hit by surge.

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Tomorrow, I'll post my impressions of the ML Vantage plugged into the Monster vs plugged into the wall.
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

I plugged mine into a Monster 5100....it picked up interference that way.I then had it directly into the wall,which was fine...but of course never being satisfied,I now have it into a PS Audio,ultimate outlet.

Comment

• RickF
                      • Apr 2005

I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the amp and receiver, everything else goes into the MonsterPower HTS 2600.

Comment

• Joey_V
                        • Jul 2005

If no one uses the conditioner.. what's the point of the conditioner anyway?

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                          • Nov 2004

Not only that, I see that most people are using Monster power conditioners. The equipment protection, $500,000 or whatever, is only good if all components are plugged into it. Am I wrong? So if something happens and you have everything plugged in except your amp, you are SOL on the Monster guarantee if the surge came through your amp and zapped everything.

Comment

• jim777
                            • Mar 2005

Don't plug the amp in the power conditionner until it's waranty is over LOL.

My HTS 1000 MKII doesn't do good to my amps sound, thats for sure...

Comment

• pembroke
                              • Jun 2005

Most amp manufactures recommend not to plug them into a conditioner, it can limit the power supply during peaks. To answer the question from Joey_V, everything else gets gets plugged in - CD, DVD, Audio processor etc.
                              I have a Richard Gray 1200, but still have my amp connected directly to an outlet.

Comment

• mike c
                                • Dec 2005

what happens in a thunder storm or electricity spike? is the amp safe (when plugged directly to the wall)?

Comment

• tech_table
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mike c
                                  what happens in a thunder storm or electricity spike? is the amp safe (when plugged directly to the wall)?
                                  I doubted, that why I used monster power, for less stress.

Comment

• ht_addict
                                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by pembroke
                                    Most amp manufactures recommend not to plug them into a conditioner, it can limit the power supply during peaks. To answer the question from Joey_V, everything else gets gets plugged in - CD, DVD, Audio processor etc.
                                    I have a Richard Gray 1200, but still have my amp connected directly to an outlet.
                                    Honestly how much power do you think these amps draw? I've had a Rotel RMB-1095, NAD S250, NAD T773 and now a Denon 4806 plugged into my Monster HTPS7000/AVS2000 combo and never seen it go over 4amps total draw while watching a movie. And that reading includes the tv/dvd/cable box thats also plugged in.

Comment

• tech_table
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ht_addict
                                      Honestly how much power do you think these amps draw?
                                      Had my 1068/1095 plugged into the monster, had the vol at 82, front speaker set to large, sub set to max, the tv started to dimmed with my ceiling light as the bass punching. The digital meter on the monster read at 7-8 amp at that time, that all I know.

Comment

• KAP
                                        • Jan 2005

I have a Parasound HCA-2205 5 Channel Amp plugged into a Monster. It has always been hooked up that way and the sound is great. If I'm missing something, I doubt my ears are good enough to notice. Plus I like the sequencial timed on and off feature.

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                          • May 2004

"Had the vol at 82" - WOW! :E I don't think I've explored beyond 70.

For what it's worth, I posed the original question to Andrew at Rotel Tech Service and here is his reply:

"Protecting your amplifier is never a bad thing. The concerns you will
                                          have with certain surge protectors is the performance. In order to keep you
                                          amplifier running as specified you will need to purchase a surge protector
                                          design for audio application and power capabilities of your components.
                                          Also, keep in mind that $100.00 surge protector may perform and sound
                                          different from a $200-$300 surge protector. I would suggest demoing a surge
                                          protector just as you would demo audio products, for needed features and
                                          sound performance. Finally, the next level to a surge protector is a line
                                          conditioner. A line conditioner would be the best option; it protects and
                                          supplies your components with condition AC voltage. Please apply the same
                                          rules with purchase a line conditioner as purchasing a surge protector
                                          previously stated."
                                          Christopher

Comment

• lazermike
                                            • Jul 2003

I have eveything but the processor pluged into my Monster HTS 3500MKII. This is my second MKII, as the first one took a dump a year ago. Now this one has lost the ability to turn off the amps on the delay or the switched circuits. I guess its going to be replaced too once I get around to it. I believe they are crappy condtioners, in the sense that they dont last, at least not for me.Thank goodness for thier lifetime warranty. Its kinda like the Dell laptop my Daughter has, the extended deluxe warranty is great, but I have shipped that out I dont know how many times till they got it all right.

Comment

• Eliav
                                              • Jul 2005

I have everything plugged to the MC 3500II.
                                              I tried the amp. plugged to the wall - no difference.
                                              I don't think that this conditioner does anything to sound. The only reason I keep it is for surge protection, Had I known better, i would have bought a simpler one, for surger protection only, probably for less than half the price
                                              Eliav
                                              :T Socrat

Comment

• audiofan
                                                • May 2004

I have my RB-1080 plugged into Panamax 5300. The bass is more defined and tighter than i plug it into the wall outlet. (I don't have dedicated outlet).

Comment

• Claude D D
                                                  • Jan 2003

With my Krell KAV400xi,Rotel RMB-1075,RSP-1068 + my Definitive PF1500 sub,DVD player,cable box etc. plugged into my Monster HTPS7000SS watching multi channel rock concert videos with the volume peaks in excess of 110db,the current draw was peaking at 12.7 amps.With my RB-1080 instead of the Krell my system never drew more than 9 amps.Unless you're running a serious current sucking amp or amps(in which case I would recommend running a dedicated 20 amp circut to power the amplifiers)I would plug your amp into a high quality surge protector/line conditioner that is capable of suppling the current your system requires. With the power fluctuations and lightning storms we get around here it gives me peace of mind. I've used power protection products on my gear for over 20 years and have yet to experience any equipment failure. Most consumer grade electronics do benifit from line conditioning. Rotel in conjunction with APC just announced a couple of interesting power products at CES. :T

Comment

• titan7
                                                    • Dec 2005

I noticed not difference with the my RB-1080 whether in the wall or the HTS3500, Actually it sounded better in the conditioner, but that could be I think it sounds better??? Who knows? Since it did not sound worse I am not going to risk damage to my Rotel Equip.

Comment

• RickF
                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by titan7
                                                      I noticed not difference with the my RB-1080 whether in the wall or the HTS3500, Actually it sounded better in the conditioner, but that could be I think it sounds better??? Who knows? Since it did not sound worse I am not going to risk damage to my Rotel Equip.
                                                      Pray tell me how an amp can sound different or 'better' by being plugged into a surge protector as opposed to a wall outlet? Electricity is electricity...regardless of the source.

Comment

• Arneson
                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RickF
                                                        Pray tell me how an amp can sound different or 'better' by being plugged into a surge protector as opposed to a wall outlet? Electricity is electricity...regardless of the source.
                                                        What?! This is very wrong.
                                                        In Florida my power is up, down, here, gone, all day, and lightning strikes? you shoul;d see what comes out of the outlet.
                                                        Or how about turning on a blender or vacuem anywhere in the house and put a scope on your outlet.
                                                        Hash, Spike, Brownout, not to mention surge, now they offer broadband on your power lines and remote video/ tel.
                                                        I'm just sayin.
                                                        Jim

Comment

• Azeke
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2003

I have all my equipment plugged into Monster HTS 3500 MKII. I just want to ensure that my equipment is properly protected against spikes, surges, storms and is insured against these type of events. I have not evaluated how my amp performs when directly plugged in the line, I just hope that the difference is negligible. Just my $0.02.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• tech_table
                                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Azeke
                                                            I have all my equipment plugged into Monster HTS 3500 MKII. I just want to ensure that my equipment is properly protected against spikes, surges, storms and is insured against these type of events. I have not evaluated how my amp performs when directly plugged in the line, I just hope that the difference is negligible. Just my $0.02.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                                                            I'm having the same thought as well.

Comment

• RickF
                                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Arneson
                                                              What?! This is very wrong.
                                                              In Florida my power is up, down, here, gone, all day, and lightning strikes? you shoul;d see what comes out of the outlet.
                                                              Or how about turning on a blender or vacuem anywhere in the house and put a scope on your outlet.
                                                              Hash, Spike, Brownout, not to mention surge, now they offer broadband on your power lines and remote video/ tel.
                                                              I'm just sayin.

The best remedy to protect your equipment is to simply unplug it during lightening storms, I doubt there is any outside equipment that will positively, absolutely protect your amp or other associated equipment from being fried during a strike.

As to "line conditioning", that's what the transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors in the power supply section of receivers/amplifiers already do. Clean DC is supplied to the amplifying section and no external unit is necessary to do this.

I personally use a MonsterPower HTS2600 for added peace of mind and a place to plug all of my equipment in to....except for my amp, which is directly plugged into the wall outlet. I don't expect miracles from the unit though.

From the MonsterPower manual.....Disconnect During Storms ... go to page 5 and read the 'storm precautions'. These folks are going to pay for my fried equipment in the case it got hit by ligtening? I very much doubt it.

Comment

• Skynut
                                                                • Mar 2006

I have everything running through my Panamax 5510.
                                                                If I am playing music loud or with heavy bass I can see the amps spike up to around 7.
                                                                My amp is a Sherbourn 7/2100
                                                                My Polk subs all run through my panamax also.

I figure if I can protect it I don't have to buy it again.
                                                                Skynut

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Ive been in the panamax vs monster debate for a while, when i get around to it, i will have to make the decision.
                                                                  B&W

Comment

• Skynut
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

I like the build quality and preformance of my Panamax,
                                                                    I plan to try out another PC soon either an Exactpower ep15 or an APC sp15
                                                                    Skynut

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

i am demoing a Richard Grey 600s from my dealer and have had it for about a week. I have my Rotel RSX 1067, RDV 1060, iScan HD, XBOX 360, Cable Box and Plamsa plugged into it. I am a no BS guy, and in all honesty it has made an improvement in audio and video quality.

There is more detail and consistancy in my music, and better black levels and contrast in my picture quality.

I used a regular Pure AV power condition until I borrowed this RGPC 600s and I have to say that I am VERY tempted to drop 2k CDN on the richard grey...very tempted.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Now for all those that say dont plug in amps to the conditioners and what not, the new rotel digitals should be fine IMO in one of these.
                                                                        B&W

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by H.Donald
                                                                          I plugged mine into a Monster 5100....it picked up interference that way.I then had it directly into the wall,which was fine...but of course never being satisfied,I now have it into a PS Audio,ultimate outlet.
                                                                          I have my Calsse CA-M400 monoblocks and Rotel RMB 1095 plugged into a Monster 5100signature - to my ears it does not make any difference in sound quality. the power conditioner is otherwise hooked up to a dedicated 20 Amp. circuit . the main reason i use it is surge protection and the urge to pamper my power amps with pure current :lol: ...
                                                                          Eliav
                                                                          :T Socrat

Comment

• grit
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2005
                                                                            • 580

Can you try something for us? Try running all of your equipment with no power conditioner, just straight from the wall, and see how it compares.

Comment

• pbarata
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2003
                                                                              • 175

#39
                                                                              As we all probably know by now Rotel will have power conditioners based on APC brand. I’ll wait to see what they will recommend in the end, in particular if they will recommend connecting power amps through mains conditioners or not.

Currently I’ve the power amp connect direct to mains and all other components: RCD-1075, RSP-1066, TV and DVD player to a mains filter from Olson. I benefit from a more clear and crystal sound and crispy image. However if I connect RMB-1075 to my mains filter the bass becomes to overwhelming for my taste.
                                                                              Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                                                              Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jun 2004
                                                                                • 1036

#40
                                                                                I use a Panamax M5500ex and it has non current limiting outlets for power amps. I tried the wall and then the center and found that the center doesn't harm my sound in anyway. I'm a picky about my sound as it gets. If plugging into the wall sounded better , I would risk the amp and plug it direct.

My outlet is a 20amp deadicated circuit with a Ps audio powerport.All my powercables are upgrades as well.

Dan

Comment

• snowball
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 70

#41
                                                                                  can someone explain to me what exactly do these protectors do?
                                                                                  what types exist and when/why do you need them?

or should i start a new topic in the starting block,so i dont hijack this one?

Comment

• Skynut
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2006
                                                                                    • 19

#42
                                                                                    Don't know if it is a hi-jack since tis trhread is pretty old but, The power conditioner does just that, it conditions the power. If it is a decent conditioner it provides surge and brown-out protection, filters out noise that can be caused by emi/rfi in the power lines comming to your house or generated inside your house, and it can balance the power between the line and neutral.
                                                                                    I hope that all makes sense.
                                                                                    I feel like it was a sound investment for protecting my equipment and the added clarity is a distinct benifit.
                                                                                    Skynut

Comment

• snowball
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2006
                                                                                      • 70

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Skynut
                                                                                      Don't know if it is a hi-jack since tis trhread is pretty old but, The power conditioner does just that, it conditions the power. If it is a decent conditioner it provides surge and brown-out protection, filters out noise that can be caused by emi/rfi in the power lines comming to your house or generated inside your house, and it can balance the power between the line and neutral.
                                                                                      I hope that all makes sense.
                                                                                      I feel like it was a sound investment for protecting my equipment and the added clarity is a distinct benifit.
                                                                                      it makes sense,but the technical terms tend to confuze me here!

a surge? i guess its an augmentation in the current,that can fry the amps??

brown-out?maybe the opposite of a surge?

emi=electromagnetic interference?
                                                                                      rfi?
                                                                                      balancing the power?

i know that i am a complete noob,but i have to start learning!

Comment

• Skynut
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 19

#44
                                                                                        I was told that balanced power is basically instead of having 120v on the line and 0v on the neutral there is +60v on the line and -60v on the neutral. You still get 120v but it is balanced between the line and neutral.

RFI is radio frequency intereference IIRC
                                                                                        Skynut

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"