X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SL Boy
    • Jan 2005

Decoding DTS sound on Rotel 1068

I have recently purchased a 1068 and am very pleased with the performance but do sometimes have a problem when playing DTS encoded DVDs. Having selected DTS from the options menu, the disc will start to play in DTS but if I need to pause the disc, for eaxmple to take a phone call, when I resume the 1068 has reverted to Prologic where it sticks. I am then unable to hear anything when the picture continues and cannot select either Doby Digital or DTS to sort the problem. I have to switch the 1068 off and on again.

Is this normal with the 1068? I have spoken to my dealer who thinks it is strage but doesnt have a solution.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Short answer> It's your DVD player not sending out a proper 'initializing signal"

Long answer> DTS Pause problem

Kevin D.

Comment

• Claude D D
      • Jan 2003

Mine does the same thing from time to time.You don't need to power off and on.I found that just changing to another input and back allows the DTS signal to lock on again. :T

Comment

• SL Boy
        • Jan 2005

Thanks Claude and Kevin for your help

Claude - it doesnt work. I cannot change to another input. The 1068 remains frozen in Prologic.

Kevin - Your "long answer" suggests that that my fault could be due to using a cheap DVD player. But mine is a new Arcam DV79 (not cheap!) bought at the same time as the Rotel. As far as I could see there was no solution posed on the thread. Do you think the Arcam is adjustable to cure this problem or that the DVD player and processor are just non-compatible?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by SL Boy
          Thanks Claude and Kevin for your help

Claude - it doesnt work. I cannot change to another input. The 1068 remains frozen in Prologic.
          Hmm, when you say you can't change the input, do you mean that changing inputs to another and back doesn't help, or that you physically cannot change the input. If the Rotel is locked up and the only way to do anything is to power cycle it, then you have another problem.

Kevin - Your "long answer" suggests that that my fault could be due to using a cheap DVD player. But mine is a new Arcam DV79 (not cheap!) bought at the same time as the Rotel. As far as I could see there was no solution posed on the thread. Do you think the Arcam is adjustable to cure this problem or that the DVD player and processor are just non-compatible?
          Not really 'cheap' players, but ones that don't 100% comply to certain specs. It's an odd situation where a $300 receiver can work around a problem signal from a DVD player while the Rotel expects 100% compliance with spec. If your Rotel isn't locking up, you could try optical vs coaxial, or hitting the AUDIO on the DVD remote to cycle through audio tracks until you get back to the DTS one. Otherwise the Arcam just might not play well with the Rotel.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

I have a 1098 and RDV-1050 and whenever I pause it, the processor drops out of DTS back to whatever I have as default.

It does however kick back to DTS once I restart the film, but it is very annoying. I might try my old Denon DVD-2500

Fish

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Fish,

That's normal. When the 1098 doesn't have a digital signal it defaults to looking at the analog inputs, in which it wants to apply the default surround mode.

The problem SL's having is that after a pause, the 1068 doesn't kick back into DTS due to it not being told by the DVD player what it's seeing.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

What are you using for a cable? I used to occasionaly have a problem with my 1066 not locking on to DTS signals right from the start of a movie from my Denon 1600. It was hit or miss. I upgraded to a much higher quality glass optical cable from Cat Cables and have not had the problem since. In other words try a different/better quality glass optical cable (most inexpensive opticals use plastic fibre, not glass)
                Jason

Comment

• Fishy
                  • Jul 2004

Kevin, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Fish

Comment

• Claude D D
                    • Jan 2003

Mine seems to only loose the DTS signal on certain DVD's when played through my Philips DVD963SA.My Sony DVPS7700 has no problem with the same DVD's.

Comment

• jlee
                      • Aug 2004

I think the only movies where I've had this problem is the 3 Lord of the Rings special extended edition DVD's... I simply hit menu to go back to the main menu and then menu again to go back to the movie... and it usually works the 2nd time around. I have the 1098 and Denon DVD-2910. Did the same thing when I had the Rotel RSP-1066. Funny enough, I don't remember it doing that on any other DVD's... strange eh?

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

I've found if it happens, the quickest thing is to hit the audio button on your DVD remote, cycle all the way through back to the DTS track and hit play... The DVD player re-sends the DTS flag and the 1068 should work perfectly fine! That's the way I've gotten around it with my 1098.
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"