This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Dec 2003

1055 reliability

I'm just starting to research the rotel 1055 and my question is basically if it has had any quality issues. I am asking this because I would like to buy it used to save some cash, but this will void out the warranty.

I have read through a lot of threads on this site and others, and haven't really read about any problems reported.

Any comments would help me with my decision.

Thanks
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to the club newbie

The only thing you really need to worry about is trying to get a series 2 or at the least a series 1 that has had the video board upgraded for HDTV. The original series did not have the bandwidth to pass HDTV signals which was fixed with a new video board in series 2 or could be be upgraded on the series 1 if you sent it in to Rotel. As for reliability issues I haven't really heard of any problems. There's the bass management "issue" (which may not be one to you) which I'm sure you've read about and which can also be easily corrected. Other than that, Rotel stuff is built like a tank and there customer service is AWESOME. I've even heard some people having bought used Rotel gear and Rotel still fixes it under warranty even though they don't have to! 8O Now that's what I call customer service!

A last little bit of advice... You may want to hold off for a month or two because there's a lot of rumours flying around about replacements for the 1055, 1065 and 1066 which could mean a large amount of used units going up for sale which could also translate to lower prices on those used models. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any more questions

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Dec 2003

How can I tell if it is a series 2 model? Would I be able to tell if I had the serial number? Has the fact that this model is going to be replaced a hot rumor or has it been officially confirmed?

Also does anybody some speaker sugestions? I have been leaning toward B&W's. I'm probably 60/40 Ht to music. In the end I'm looking for 5.1 but will build up slowly.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

You can tell the series model either by contacting Rotel with the serial number and they can tell you or by checking the installed firmware version by holding the mute button. If the firmware say's version 1.xx its a series 1 model, if it say's 2.xx it's a series 2. The replacement rumours are just that though I've heard unconfirmed info that Rotel has said it will be announcing new products. Check out this thread:

As for speakers... I hate to do anything other than suggest some companies for you to listen to as everyone's tastes are hugely different.

Obviously I have a preference for Energy speakers as you can see by my little picture but I'll give ya some other suggestions too.

B&W's, PSB's, Kef's, Athena and Paradigm's are also good all around speakers. Def Tech's, M&K's and Klipch's are better for movies than music (IMO) but are good companies as well. There are also a few reputable internet brands as well like Axiom and Ascend that you could look into. You may have better luck with speaker suggestions posting in the A/V Chalet section. I'm sure people will be along with even more suggestions

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

You don't read about problems because we delete those threads about as fast as they are posted...

Seriously I've put in several of the 1066,1065, & 1055 units.. The only problems I've really seen were unsoldered component video plugs (these were contracted out and were supposed to be soldered.. They got this fixed pretty early on), one bent case (shippers fault), and one 1055 shot a flameball out the top at first turn on (isolated incident, power-supply failure).. Other than that Rotel's pretty solid..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dec 2003

I actually just went to the local Rotel dealer and he told me that the new line will be introduced in Jan. It will coincide with some conference that is being held. The 1055, 1066, and 1065 will be replaced, posibly others.

He said that the new 1055 will have very similar internal components as the 1098. He also said that it will have the ability to up-convert(not sure if that lingo is correct)the video to component video.

I actually didn't ask him if the power or amount of powered chanels would be changing. He guessed the new 1055 would cost somewhere between 1300 and 1500.

Comment

• gostan
              • May 2003

I am waiting for my 1055 to come back from Rotel repair. No problems for the first 6 months, but then it started powering down on it's own. My dealer was very surprised as he had never had any problems with the Rotel receivers. Meanwhile, 3 weeks later and I am still waiting for its' return. The Denon loaner simply makes me miss my 1055.
              Stan

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"