X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjrivera
    • Jun 2005

Recommend a Rotel setup

I'm looking to setup a 7.1 system with Rotel gear, but wanted to get opinions from the Rotel forum and see what you guys think...

I am going with B&W 802N's for the fronts, HTM-1 for the center, and SCM-1's for sides and rears, and an ASW 825 for sub

What processor/amp combo what work well for this 7.1 system.

I was thinking of using an RSP-1068 as a processor, but was wondering which amp would work well for this setup. Or would the RSP-1098 be a better choice for a processor?

Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

What's your budget? Without a budget we'll recommend the most expensive products, as they're the best ones that Rotel offers. Have you gone to a dealer and tried listening to any of their various products to see which ones you might like for a given amount of money....?

Also you may want to hold on until after CES especially for the pre/pro
    Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I agree, I mean at this moment I would recommend the RB-1090 since it has the most power to push the speakers...

but if you can wait the new digital switching amps from Rotel (the stereo or monoblock) would probably be even a smarter choice.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• cjrivera
        • Jun 2005

My limit is around $3000 for processor and amps (I don't mind buying used from somewhere like Audiogon).

When is CES? What's the rumored new products from Rotel?

And what's the story with the digital switching? (I'm kind of a newbie) Will it make a difference with a 7.1 system compared to the RMB 1095 or RB series?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well at $3000 you'd be lucky to get a used 1068, 1075 and 1070 (or 1080) for 7.1.

CES is in mid January and there's the possibility they may anounce new pre's with things like HDMI switching, room correction etc.

Also, do you absolutely need 7.1? With a limited budget I'll always recommend spending the money on a better 5.1 system rather than a lesser 7.1 system.
          Jason

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

Right now on eBay there is a Rsp1068 and a Rmb1095...says like new,I'll bet the final prices for both will be well under 3,000 dollars.

Comment

• Kens1
              • Mar 2005

If you want a new Rotel set up for 7.1 you could always go with the 1056 + 1080 amp which is what I have. The 1080 is great for 2 channel and I am very happy with the HT performance of this combo as well. This would also be well within your budget.
              Good luck with your decision!

Comment

• cjrivera
                • Jun 2005

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking 7.1 because it's a big room, but I guess I could also add in the side speakers and equipment later.

The 1095 on ebay is what I'm checking out now. I wonder if after CES more people will be selling their "old" equipment due to upgrade-itis.

I guess I could bump the budget up by $700-1000 for the room, I'd just have to hide the reciepts from the wife.

Comment

• Boombox
                  • Oct 2005

remember that good amps (e.g. RB1080) will expose poor sources....what source will you be using? Spending 3G on amps/processors will need a 3G player...
                  Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• cjrivera
                    • Jun 2005

I was thinking of starting with a RDV-1060. Right now I do more HT than music, but I am planning on a dedicated HT room, and I could see getting into more music as I get better equipment and can listen to music without the kids bugging me to see "The Incredibles" for the 1000th time (actually I don't mind watching Pixar movies over and over, it's just that it doesn't give me time for music.)

I could see a dedicated CD player after that depending on how much more music I start listening to.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"