X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rashad01138
    • Jun 2010

Rotel Processor Speaker Settings

Hello, I been on HTguide for only a couple of weeks. I am a newbie at this.

Front Speakers: B&W 703's and HTM7 Center
    Rear Speakers: B&W 686's
    Processor: Rotel RSP-1570
    Amp: Rotel RB-1572 and Rotel RMB-1095

I am trying to figure out what the best setting of speaker size I should set on the processor to get the best bass from. I have it on LARGE fronts and LARGE center and SMALL rears W/ SUB. (sounds ok). When I switch it to ALL SMALL (sounds really good). But my fronts speakers really are not small and I have a excellent amp to run them. Anyway I am a little confused... the rotel processor manual says not to mismatch large+small configurations to get the best bass. Also should I adjust the crossover in the subwoofer setup menu to get more bass?

I just want other members opinions on this. Thanks.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The small vs. large setting isn't about the physical size of the speaker, but what you want to do with the bass. If you want the speaker to handle the bass, set it to large. If you want the bass re-directed to a sub, set the speaker to small. The crossover setting allows you to decide at what freq. bass is redirected.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Frank Helmling
      • May 2009

it's all about handling room acoustics and personal preferences, so nobody will be able to help you there! Go for a cheap spl measuring device as minimum equipment and measure room response on certain frequencies.

Sorry, but there's no getting around that.....!
      Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank

Comment

• hurin
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rashad01138
        When I switch it to ALL SMALL (sounds really good). But my fronts speakers really are not small and I have a excellent amp to run them.
        BIG/SMALL is about bass management. Basically if a speaker is set to big all sound goes to the speaker, if small sound frequences above the *crossover go to the speaker, below to the big speakers or the SUB.

The setup you describe really makes no sense. If you have no sub and all speakers are set to small there is no place to send frequences below the crossover. My guess is the processor is simply ignoring your setting.

*In THX the crossover is at 80HZ, but there is no such thing as an ideal crossover as it depends on the room.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"