X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Rotel Processor vs Onkyo Receiver

Hi All,
    I've had my HT setup for a few years now based around an Onkyo 787 receiver. Due to extensions being completed at my home, in the next few weeks I will be added a projector (infocus 5700) and replacing my existing speakers with Jamo THX D6LCR fronts / centre and D6 SUR for a 7.1 THX setup ( I already have a Jamo D6 15" THX Ultra sub). Due to the 4 ohm requirement of the speakers I will be powering everything with a Rotel RMB 1075 amp for the fronts, centre and sides and a Rotel RB 1070 for the rears. Both these amps will be connected to the pre outs on the Onkyo. So in effect the Onkyo is now only acting as a processor.

My dilemma is should I try and sell the Onkyo and get something like a Rotel RSP-1066 or keep the Onkyo as a processor as the cost wouldn't justify the improvement. I've already gone over budget so a more expensive processor than the Rotel is not really an option. Also, does anyone know if Rotel have a new processor (to replace the RSP-1066) on the horizon? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • lcajiga
    • Aug 2003

Stephen, your question is very difficult to answer since it will depend on indicidual taste and budget. You like your speakers, some will hate them. You like Onkyo, I personally don't...for Japanesse gear, Yamaha sounds better for me hands down. So I will answer based on my audition experiences. Your speakers and amps are great and sounds very good, but I will definitively replace the Onkyo. The main difference from English and Japanesse processors or receivers is that Japs have a lot more features. I prefer better sound and in this case, Rotel will sound better. The 1066 is a great machine and with the new upgrade, it sounds even better. Besides I think it have a good price.

Regarding the 1066 replacement, Rotel announced some new gears but aimed to lower budget applications. There is no 1066 equivalent replacement...the other step is the 1098 that is almost twice the price but it's a great machine (I own one). I personally think the 1066 makes a great match with your 1070/1075 amplifiers and your THK speakers will rock. If you have a little more budget and have a good selling price on your Onkyo, then step up to the 1098.

Regards,
    Luis

Regards,
    Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
    Regards,
    Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

• twitchie
      • Apr 2003

Alternatively, you could sell both the Onkyo and your 1070 and get a RSX-1055 and use the internal amps on that to power your surrounds.

Many Club Rotel members have listened to both (and some have owned both) the 1066 and 1055 as pre/pro and hear little difference if any, but some may see this as more of a lateral move.

See if you can listen to both setups and trust your own ears.

Comment

• Energeezer
        • Sep 2002

What Twitchie said.
        No doubt in my mind and I had Onkyo then Marantz and now Rotel.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
        The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I too think twitchie's got the right idea here. But really the only way you'll be able to know if the Rotel sounds better and sounds better for the $, is to listen to both and decide.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I agree w/ twitchie also.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• whmacs
              • Oct 2003

Hi all,
              Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. All great ideas. I'll see if my dealer can get in a 1066 and 1055 so that I can have a listen to them both. Ideally I would like to take both home for the weekend so I can do a direct comparison with the Onkyo. Living in a small city limits what equipment is available for auditions.

cheers,
              Stephen
              My Home Theatre

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"