X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Enjoying my 15-Series Rotel!

I’ve been a fan of Rotel for a number of years, beginning with my RSP-1068/RMB-1075 pairing in a dedicated space in my previous house. When we moved from a house to a condo, I was constrained by the media cabinet and the incorporation of the system into the main living space. As a result, I opted to downsize the amp (to an RMB-1085) and use a receiver (Denon AVR-3808CI) as the processor, so that I could use HDMI exclusively for connectivity. It was basically impossible to wire 5.1 multi-channel analog within the new cabinet, so this option made the most sense at that time.

The Denon performed quite well in this capacity, and was definitely a solid option – giving me HDMI connectivity, Audyssey calibration, an Ethernet port for DLNA network connectivity and firmware updates, and basically every other option that I could think of or want. However, I always considered the Denon an interim solution until I found a worthy standalone processor, because to me, optimum sound quality was my goal above all else. I have built a decent collection of SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray concert performances, and 2-channel FLAC music that gives me great enjoyment when I get the opportunity to sit down and really listen.

I don’t really have the time or flexibility to demo a bunch of different processors, but I did do a fair amount of research on what is out there – including NAD, Cary, Anthem, and other similar options. I do look for value, and while I am willing to spend some hard-earned bucks on a good component, I wanted to make sure that what I selected would be of high quality and not overpriced, or just plain “overkill” for the modest space of my listening environment. The rest of my system is solid, including B&W 805S, HTM4S, and SCMS in a 5.1 setup (with a Velodyne MiniVee sub for the bottom end), and an Oppo BDP-83 for universal disc transport, and a Logitech Transporter for streaming 2-channel music from my NAS.

So…after sifting through tons of research and elimination of many contenders, I basically circled back around to where I began – Rotel. I was fortunate to find a local dealer who was willing to “work with me” a bit, which is important to me. I decided to give the 15-series a try, mostly because of my previous experiences and satisfaction with Rotel. I ordered the RSP-1570 and RMB-1565, which would fulfill all of my requirements, and would also fit neatly into my limited component space. (I’m attaching one picture, but did post others of my overall setup in the Rotel picture thread.)

Did I make the right choice? I absolutely believe so. While the Denon had all of the features I could ever want, it is well known and documented that the Rotel does not. But, I believe this is really the point – I view the Rotel processor as more of a pre-amp that just happens to support 5.1 channels and decodes the latest codecs. Beyond that, I definitely don’t miss Audyssey calibration, video scaling, 3D passthrough, network connectivity, satellite radio, or any of those other features. I was actually quite surprised that I enjoy the Rotel sound significantly better than the Denon, even given the lack of Audyssey calibration. (Two caveats to note: I do have the Transporter which does a fantastic job of music streaming, and also provides Internet radio, so I’ve never had the need for the processor to do that; and, the Rotel does provide the ability to do easy firmware updates, albeit not directly over the Internet.)

For me, the Rotel’s minimalist approach has produced the more refined, detailed, and impactful sound quality that I was seeking. They might take a lot of flak over lack of features, but for some like myself, their quality, value, and sound quality are what really shine and provide tremendous listening (and viewing) enjoyment.

Attached Files
    Brad
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Later yesterday, I received my latest copy of Home Theater magazine, in which they reviewed the RSP-1570 and RMB-1575. The guy loved the processor, but was not too fond of the amp. Not sure how my 1565 compares sound-wise to the more powerful 1575, but it sounds pretty sweet to me.
    Brad

Comment

• jam200
      • Jan 2009

Good looking Rotels

Those are good looking Rotels. I have the RSP-1069 with 3 RB-1091s and a RMB-1095. I love the Rotel sound for both music and movies. The amps power a pair of B&W 703s for the mains and a B&W HTM2S for the center. The 1095 powers a pair of B&W601s for the Center Backs and B&W685s for the surrounds.

The RSP-1570 sounds sweet as well. Can't afford it right now.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Industrial
        • Mar 2009

I got the same combo. I quite like it.

Comment

• B&W_Group_Fan
          • Sep 2008

I am also enjoying my 15-series, though I do not have separates (RSX-1560).
          HT
          Rotel RSX-1560
          B&W Signature 7NT (x6) | B&W FPM6 (center) | Velodyne MiniVee
          Panasonic TH-46PZ800U | Panasonic DMP-BD55
          Apple TV

Kitchen / Dining
          Rotel RB-1510 (RSX-1560 providing source)
          B&W CCM 65 (x4)

Control
          URC MX-880 w/ MRF-350

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Hi Blindamood,

I agree totally!. Rotel equipment produces better sound quality than Denon hands down!.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bows3r
              • Jul 2010

I was talking with my retailer and he said that Rotel RSP-1570 has HDMi 1.4 hardware inside and that there will be a software update that unleashes it in few weeks. This allows 3D and audioback via HDMi.

Comment

• RichardB
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by bows3r
                I was talking with my retailer and he said that Rotel RSP-1570 has HDMi 1.4 hardware inside and that there will be a software update that unleashes it in few weeks. This allows 3D and audioback via HDMi.
                Im not to sure if Rotel have started shipping the 1570 with 1.4 spec HDMI, or if they are going to. However a firmware update was released several months ago to allow 3D pass-through.

Rich

Comment

• TommyV
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Blindamood
                  Later yesterday, I received my latest copy of Home Theater magazine, in which they reviewed the RSP-1570 and RMB-1575. The guy loved the processor, but was not too fond of the amp. Not sure how my 1565 compares sound-wise to the more powerful 1575, but it sounds pretty sweet to me.
                  Possibly he does not like the sound of class D amps. Some people love them, others not so much.

I do wish there was a 15 series Class A/B 5 channel amp. I was surprised they completely did away with them for multichannel.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                    • Dec 2008

So let me see if I have the correct...The 1570 has HDMI 1.4 or not?It still says 1.3 on Rotels site.
                    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• RichardB
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                      So let me see if I have the correct...The 1570 has HDMI 1.4 or not?It still says 1.3 on Rotels site.
                      Your 1570 has 1.3 as does mine, however it can pass 3d signal through.

Rich

Comment

• 1oldguy
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RichardB
                        Your 1570 has 1.3 as does mine, however it can pass 3d signal through.

Rich
                        I don't have the 1570,but need a decent 5.1 and figured this may be the best route to go.I wonder if Rotel have any plans on upgrading the HDMI to 1.4?Has anyone inquired about this directly with Rotel?
                        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• RichardB
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                          I don't have the 1570,but need a decent 5.1 and figured this may be the best route to go.I wonder if Rotel have any plans on upgrading the HDMI to 1.4?Has anyone inquired about this directly with Rotel?
                          I would imagine that they will move to 1.4, not to sure of how long it will take them to make the move.

Rich

Comment

• Shinnosuki
                            • Sep 2007

Congrats on your Rotel! I'm waiting to get my Rotel RA-1520 also in black in about 2 weeks! Before I had a RSP 1068+RMB 1077 for 7.1 option but later realized I just stopped watching movies. I'm keeping the RSP 1068 for back up purposes in case I go back into home theater, as the amp is pretty devalued now. I just regret selling my RMB-1077 which I should have kept that as a backup as well. But yes I agree, quality of the sound and components are more important than all the bells and whistles of sound calibration, HDMI switching, ethernet, HD tuner, iPod connectivity and that's one of the reasons why I downsized. The only thing I used was the bypass or stereo mode on my RSP 1068 and that's all I needed. The RA 1520 makes better sense in my case. Also all these new features thats on HDMI 1.4 and all the new audio decodings, many movies aren't even keeping up that fast so I find it meh...

Comment

• specialized
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Shinnosuki
                              Congrats on your Rotel! I'm waiting to get my Rotel RA-1520 also in black in about 2 weeks! Before I had a RSP 1068+RMB 1077 for 7.1 option but later realized I just stopped watching movies. I'm keeping the RSP 1068 for back up purposes in case I go back into home theater, as the amp is pretty devalued now. I just regret selling my RMB-1077 which I should have kept that as a backup as well. But yes I agree, quality of the sound and components are more important than all the bells and whistles of sound calibration, HDMI switching, ethernet, HD tuner, iPod connectivity and that's one of the reasons why I downsized. The only thing I used was the bypass or stereo mode on my RSP 1068 and that's all I needed. The RA 1520 makes better sense in my case. Also all these new features thats on HDMI 1.4 and all the new audio decodings, many movies aren't even keeping up that fast so I find it meh...

Im picking a stereo integrated amp for my second setup (working room), and for my B&W Cm1. In this moment for a test i have

1. DENON PMA-1500AE
                              2. Harman Kardon HK990
                              3. Rotel RA-1520

Rotel sound the worst from those three.. Im a bit dissapointed.. However sound is improvement a lot when i use RA-1520 as preamp and trough preout use Rotel RB-1080 as AMP (this way it's better then HK990). Also i got dissapointed from RB-1070 as amp (at least on this setup).

So if u still didnt order RA-1520 check Denon PMA-1510.. Much better sound (Rotel RA-1520 sound thin).

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Shinnosuki
                                • Sep 2007

Before I was using RSP 1068 + RMB 1077 with B&W 705s. I really enjoyed that system until one day I got really frustrated with all the clutter and decided to downsize so therefore selling it. The first one that got sold was the RMB 1077 which I really regret now cause I can't even enjoy my B&W 705s anymore without a amp. Then I put my old bose speakers up in 5.1 setup and that was just horrible having to go back to that. At this point I'm sure anything is better than using these bose speakers so I'm happy to finally picked up the RA 1520. My lesson learned, don't sell off anything until you have purchased the new stuff you want. I only paid $650 US for the RA 1520, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can get my money back somehow =D

Comment

• specialized
                                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Shinnosuki
                                  Before I was using RSP 1068 + RMB 1077 with B&W 705s. I really enjoyed that system until one day I got really frustrated with all the clutter and decided to downsize so therefore selling it. The first one that got sold was the RMB 1077 which I really regret now cause I can't even enjoy my B&W 705s anymore without a amp. Then I put my old bose speakers up in 5.1 setup and that was just horrible having to go back to that. At this point I'm sure anything is better than using these bose speakers so I'm happy to finally picked up the RA 1520. My lesson learned, don't sell off anything until you have purchased the new stuff you want. I only paid $650 US for the RA 1520, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can get my money back somehow =D

That's really cheap.. How u got that price? Here is almost twice more expensive..

Darko

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

Home Theater Review

Here's the link to the Home Theater review of the RSP-1570/RMB-1575 that I referenced earlier.
                                    Brad

Comment

• Shinnosuki
                                      • Sep 2007

I think thats the lowest I ever seen on audiogon so I picked one up used..Got it hooked up couple days ago and loving it! I don't know if I would call the sound thin since I'm using monitors and can't really tell the difference. It's much more dynamic than the previous RSP 1068 + 1077 combo, bass is more extended and the greatest improvements are in the mids, more lively, more "oomph"..but maybe not as warm as the previous combo, can occasionally come out too bright than what I'm used to as well, but that's a known fact attributed to the 705s. Overall pretty happy! Hopefully some new cables can smooth out some brightness which I'm looking at now.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"