X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangebull
    • Nov 2005

RB-1090 too powerful for B&W 703s?

I have a pair of 703s for my main speakers. I am looking to buy a new Rotel amp for my main speakers. I currently have 1098 processor and RB-1075 130w x 5 amp).

I am trying to decide between the RB-1080 and RB-1090. From reading the specs of the 703s it indicated power handling of 50 - 200 watts. The RB-1090 is rated at 380 watts per channel.

Does this mean that since the amp is capable of 380 watts that it is too powerful for the 703s that seem to have an upper end of 200 watts?

I found a 6 month old RB-1090 for $1,200 slightly used, but in mint condition. A new RB-1080 is about $1,000.

thanks,
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

Without a doubt at that price get the 1090. Best amp Rotel makes. You will almost never damage a speaker with too much power, but you can easily damage one with too little power. Both the 1080 and 1090 are great and more than enough to drive your speakers, but at the price you can get the 1090 its a no-brainer purchase decision :T

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

I recently upgraded from the 1080 to the 1090, using Klipsch RF 7's. At lower listening levels (up to 50-55 on my RSP-1068) the 1080 stayed with the 1090 identically. Very similar sonically. Deep prominent bass, mids and highs were right on. Now, push the RSP-1068 up to 65 and the 1090 starts to creep away. The 380 watts of the 1090 would not be to much, as I would doubt you would EVER push it that far. The 1080 is a beaut of an amp, as is the 1090. I chose to keep the 1090 , solely on the fact that one day I may want the extra snort should I ever change speaks. My take is, let listening level (amongst $$ and other variables) guide you, sonically at reasonable volumes, they are quite similar, if your'e going to run full throttle because of a huge room, grab the 1090. On a side note, if your'e in the states, dealers can do better than 1K on the 1080.

Comment

• orangebull
        • Nov 2005

thanks

You said that US dealers can do better than $1k on the 1080. What would be the best discount I could expect...say from a high end dealer like the Home Theater Store in Houston.

thanks,

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I bought mine about 6-8 mos. ago and got it for 820. My dealer has given me 10% minumum w/o even having to ask. I don't know if it has taken an MSRP hike, but 10% should be a gimee....

Comment

• orangebull
            • Nov 2005

other opinions

Still a little worried about the specs saying power requirements on the B&W 703s being 50 watts to 200 watts and the RB-1090 putting out 380 watts per channel.

Anyone out there share my concern or is it a non-issue as long as I don't peg out the volume control.

I usually listen to mid to low volume and only rarely crank up the volume.

thanks,

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

Don't worry about the max power, let your ears tell you when enough is enough. If you can afford the difference in price...and you think you might upgrade speakers later on down the road you will still have the amp to drive them.

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

My 7's are reated @ 250, and I would push the wall they are facing out in the yard with spl before damaging them with to much power. shadow nailed the long and short of it with wattage ratings.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by soundhound
                  My 7's are reated @ 250, and I would push the wall they are facing out in the yard with spl before damaging them with to much power. shadow nailed the long and short of it with wattage ratings.

Actually the 7s are rated 250 continuous, 1000w peak so we know it can take the 1090s peak power output of approximatly 560 watts. Do we know what the 703s peak power rating is?
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

We used a 1090 to demo our speakers for 2-3 years. Everything from $99 in-ceilings to 802's. You'll blow your ears before your speakers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

1090!!!!! :banana: :P

In this (or really any hobby) there's no such thing as too much power :twisted:
                      Jason

Comment

• orangebull
                        • Nov 2005

thanks

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The 1090 it will be!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Orangebull,

Good choice. FYI the RB-1090 operates in Class A for more of the first few Watts than the RB-1080 and has a more detailed / nuetral sound at lower volumes than the (still very good) RB-1080 - so even if you never use the full capabilities of the RB-1090 - enjoy its awesome sound for the $

Geoff

Comment

• Dmantis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jun 2004

Agreed,
                            Buy the rb1090 and don't look back. have to much power is way better then not enough. Honest the RMB 1075 have enough power as well as all Rotel amps for your speakers. The Rb1070 is a nice choice. But at the price your able to buy the rb1090 for, it's a home run.

Insanely as people get , I have ran some inwalls with B&K 200 watt amps before and as they did sound there best, they took every but of power the B&K could throw at them. You will give up before the speakers will.

mantis

Comment

• miner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by orangebull
                              You said that US dealers can do better than $1k on the 1080. What would be the best discount I could expect...say from a high end dealer like the Home Theater Store in Houston.

thanks,
                              With an additional purchase THS will discount up to 10% - if only buying amp be prepared for retail. No other Rotel dealer in Houston.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                • Jan 2006

The RB-1080 drives the 703's perfectly with strong bass & clean midrange & treble. It has plenty of current for the 703's.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"