X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcampbell
    • May 2009

RB 1090 and 1075 vs 1095

Okay, so I managed to stumble upon a Rb 1090 for an absolute steal on craigslist. I bought it and love how it sounds but basically I don't know if it is the right setup for me. I could sell the amp and help pay for some new gear but I don't know what would be best. At the moment my system is a 1075 and RSP 1069. My speakers are JBL e90's for the mains and an ec35 for the center and e30's for rears(not the greatest speakers but looking to upgrade in the future). My dad might be giving me his Infinity Kappa 7 series 2 speakers soon so that would be a start. Now just having the RB 1090 for about a day I have noticed dramatic improvements in the mains especially in the bass.

So basically what I want to know from you guys is what would be my best option. One could be to go with the 1090 for the mains and the 1075 for the rest like I have now. Sell the 1090 and 1075 and get a 1095. Or sell the 1090 and get a 1080 and keep some cash since my speakers really arent that hard to drive.

I really like how the 1090 sounds but I feel like it is a little overkill perhaps so how would a 1080 compare to it? Also, would it really improve the sound a lot if I were to have 200 going into the center as well if I got a 1095? One thing I would worry about is blowing the center since it probably cannot take the same levels as the mains. (have you guys ever had problems with this?)

Sorry for the long winded question, but thank you very much in advance you guys always seem to have good advice.

Brett
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Don't sell the 1090!!!!

I have the 1080 and 1095 and trust me...the 1090 is much much better. If you like the sound of the 1090 for music the other two are good, but just do not have the same abilities of the 1090.

I think you'd be much better to keep the 1090 and get a 1075, it'll push the rest of the speakers well (at least good enough for HT use).
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• bcampbell
      • May 2009

Pewter

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am kinda thinking of doing that. I think I could sell it and get a silver one to match and come out even so I might do that. I guess one thing I forgot to mention was that I listen to about 70-80% music and about 30-20% TV and HT. So yeah I think the benefits of the 1090 would be huge for stereo, it sounds simply amazing at all volume levels whereas the 1075 kinda hits that sweet spot once it is bumped up a bit.

I am kinda leaning toward keeping it since it sounds so great and would be the last amp I would really ever have to get.

Anyone else have any opinions?

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I got my own 1090 a few months ago, before that I was using PewterTA's while he was busy setting up his new home. Once I had his in my system, I knew I had to get one for myself. There is no question, the 1090 is a keeper for 2ch music. Like you say, probably the last amp purchase ever needed for 2ch music.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bcampbell
          • May 2009

Awesome, thank you both very much for your responses. After hearing them I think you convinced me to keep it, although I might try to sell it to get a silver one to match my 1075. Or, does anyone know if Rotel sells new faceplates for them? I kinda doubt it but might be worth looking into.

Thanks again now I just need to test this baby out with those Infinity Kappas!!

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bcampbell
            Awesome, thank you both very much for your responses. After hearing them I think you convinced me to keep it, although I might try to sell it to get a silver one to match my 1075. Or, does anyone know if Rotel sells new faceplates for them? I kinda doubt it but might be worth looking into.

Do a search in this forum for Faceplates as there is a lot of info.Some say that yes you can get a different faceplate but only from Rotel UK and others say no.If I recall there was a thread here awhile back with photos on how to change it out.Best to call Rotel and see what they say.

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Face Plate Change info

link

Just a word of caution, Dan's 1090 has the silver faceplate, the one I have is the all phat-black model, and it sounds Wayyyy better. Right Dan? :W
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bcampbell
                • May 2009

Hahaha, it does sound really good and my silver 1075 doesn't sound anywhere near as good so you might be on to something haha.

Thanks a ton for the help I shot Shane an email, we will see what happens.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

No Bill, I think you have gotten it wrong...

See the silver highlights help to clarify and improve the mid and high frequencies. Don't ask me how it does this, but those guru's at Rotel figured it out, Silver Highlights on the amp help! :P

Yes, I think you can get the silver highlights for the 1090, though I think you would have to ask about the light as you'd only have a red light and not blue. Correct me if I'm wrong on that Bill, but I believe your's has a red light, not blue?
                  -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    See the silver highlights help to clarify and improve the mid and high frequencies. Don't ask me how it does this, but those guru's at Rotel figured it out, Silver Highlights on the amp help!
                    Agreed. Even on a lowly 1080 like mine the silver trim makes a HUGE difference to the sound (far less grain) but it's only effective when used in combination with the blue light. Sticking a silver trim onto a black unit with a red light would actually degrade the sound (reduced dynamics and resolution).

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

A humble dissertation on platitude and thought-terminating cliché’s

At the risk of invoking the wrath of our esteemed and respected moderators, I am compelled by way of the shear force of THE truth as bestowed to me by he-who-sits-upon-the-highest-peak-with-lossless-only-downloaded-file-Ipod (the details of this life changing encounter and the resulting epiphany will have to wait for a later and more detailed, i.e. longwinded, telling) to humbly respond if only for the sake of the betterment of all humanity.

Suffice it to say that I am quite disappointed Dan, being such a well schooled and knowledgeable aficionado of music such as yourself, that you would miss so blatant a caveat as you have. What you interpret as superior reproduction is in fact only the minor coloration provided by the subatomic quark and gluon synergy between your silver-colored source media (aka seadee’s) and the metalic hued faceplate. Pleasant as you may perceive this to be, coloration is coloration, and truth of the ‘original’ is lost.

As you well know from your frequent listening sessions at my humble abode, when the combination of the carbon-infused (the carbon itself being the intrinsic cause of its color noir - aside from being the basic element required for life and therefore the ability to conceive and produce music in the first place) 12 inch diameter, 200 gram genesis of all true music is combined with darkest of dark melding of all shades from the material pallet of colors which envelopes the chassis of the real 1090, you are being bathed and blessed in the absolute and final note of the grandest symphony of sound ever conceived.

Oh, and my dear Nigel, with all due respect, being from the southern end of hemispheres, I am afraid the fact that you are listening to your amp while it is perched upside-down is clouding your otherwise proven impeccable perception.

Regards, and only my sincerest respect to all.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Legairre
                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by bcampbell

Hey BC here's the whole thread with info on ordering the parts.

I put together a word doc with step by steps instructions and pics. PM me if you'd like a copy.
                        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          Oh, and my dear Nigel, with all due respect, being from the southern end of hemispheres, I am afraid the fact that you are listening to your amp while it is perched upside-down is clouding your otherwise proven impeccable perception.
                          That's why I do all my critical listening in the headstand position.

That's a picture of me below enjoying the new Robin Trower album.

Nigel.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• TommyV
                            • Feb 2007

Silver Rotel is just sexier.

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                              That's why I do all my critical listening in the headstand position.

Nigel.

My dear friend, Nigel,
                              Due to the evidence presented in your latest post, I must stand (on my head as it were) corrected.

By implementing the corrective action of inverting your stance while conducting your critical listening sesions, you have mitigated the very issue I noted earlier. Well Done!

If you would be so kind, could you now also verify that the rotational direction of your source media is synchronized to the flow of water when your loo is activated. As I am sure you are well aware, this sympathetic alignment is crucial to the pooper, er ah, proper function of your equipment.

One other item that may be of interest to you is the strategic placement of a 1/2 by 2-5/16 inch piece of Canadian manufactured Black electrical tape (in Nigel’s case, Tasmanian sourced material may be substituted with only minor impact on efficacy) over the silver faceplate will help but not totally cure the unnatural coloration induced by this engineering feau pax unwittingly perpetrated by the otherwise highly skilled supplier and marketing middle managers at Rotel. Remember that minute changes in the orientation of the Black tape can cause significant variations in performance. So be patient and prepared to conduct innumerable listening evaluations.

And for those of you from the ‘objective’ camp, scientific verification of this phenomenon can be quantitatively measured using one these.

Simply hold the device in a manner similar to which you would if using a divining rod. Be sure to use a strong grip as reports of unexpected levitation of the user have been documented when the optimum Black tape position has been located.

And remember, Black is Back, Phat & Where it’s At!
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

All this coming from someone that has a silver surge/conditioner.... Course painting it black helped...but did not cure the problem of it's STILL silver.

Bill you have corrected me and now I am making all efforts to change all the faceplates I have to black.

Now I just have to figure out which BLACK bass drivers to ge to put in my speakers...I don't want those sticking out and coloring my sound!

LOL
                                -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                  One other item that may be of interest to you is the strategic placement of a 1/2 by 2-5/16 inch piece of Canadian manufactured Black electrical tape (in Nigel’s case, Tasmanian sourced material may be substituted with only minor impact on efficacy) over the silver faceplate will help but not totally cure the unnatural coloration induced by this engineering feau pax unwittingly perpetrated by the otherwise highly skilled supplier and marketing middle managers at Rotel. Remember that minute changes in the orientation of the Black tape can cause significant variations in performance.
                                  I experimented with the black tape and the results were remarkable. Even a small amount of tape increased upper-midrange glare. The application of more tape produced euphonic colorations that were difficult to ignore. When completely covered in tape the midrange became congested, the mid-treble hardened, and the rhythmic performance became sluggish. When the tape was removed, immediately the sonic painting became wide, deep, and detailed. A greater amount of musically pertinent detail was suddenly revealed.

Nigel.

PS. Apologies for hijacking this thread Brett!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"