703s is Rotel RB-1090 (380watts x 2) too much power?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangebull
    • Nov 2005

703s is Rotel RB-1090 (380watts x 2) too much power?

I have a pair of 703s for my main speakers. I am looking to buy a new Rotel amp for my main speakers. I currently have 1098 processor and RB-1075 130w x 5 amp).

I am trying to decide between the RB-1080 and RB-1090. From reading the specs of the 703s it indicated power handling of 50 - 200 watts. The RB-1090 is rated at 380 watts per channel.

Does this mean that since the amp is capable of 380 watts that it is too powerful for the 703s that seem to have an upper end of 200 watts?

I found a 6 month old RB-1090 for $1,200 slightly used, but in mint condition. A new RB-1080 is about $1,000.

thanks,
  • azsyno
    • Oct 2005

I'll be interested to see what the experts say on this - I suspect the answer is that the 1090 is capable of 380 but it's not a continuous wattage and is therefore, suitable and perhaps, with all that power, a good fit.

I have 703's and a 1080. They really work well with the 1080 and I'm thinking of getting a new AV Receiver (maybe Rotel) to drive the center, sub, and rears.

Regardless, great speaker choice and hope you are happy in the end.

Comment

• Ryx
      • Oct 2005

I would take the 1090 without thinking twice. It is true that the 1090 is a little overkill for a set of 703s but more power will not hurt the speakers as long as you don't turn the volume up to rediculess levels.
      The 1080 is a good amp and would drive your 703s just fine but at the price you can get the 1090 for it is just a better deal, and it has some benifits over the 1080.

First if you decide to upgrade to a set of speakers with a higher power rating, you won't likely have a need to upgrade your amp right away.
      Second the Rb-1090 is rated at <0.01%THD at half rated power, so you would be able to take full advantage of that fact.
      and my final point is that the signal to noise ratio on the 1090 is margenaly better at 125db compaired to the 1080 at 116db.

so overall I would say go for the 1090!!
      I am sure a few people will agree with me so wait till you get a few more replys if you are still unsure.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

The 1090 in my opionion would be a great amp for those speakers, in adition to the other advice about the benefits given, the extra power will also offer much better control resulting in less fatigue on your speakers and your ears, having power reserves is not always about decibles.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• orangebull
          • Nov 2005

thanks

I appreciate the advice.

The 1090 it will be!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"