X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

RDV-1060 Upgrade CD

Just got this info from a Crestron group.. Rotel has a firmware upgrade CD available for the 1060 that for one fixes communications issues with the RS232 port. What else it does I have no idea (possibly fixes the SCART/DVDA bug??)

I'm not sure if this would be the same thing as uploading through the RS232 port (if that's even possible), but figured Andrew might want to check and see what the update covers..

The guy is supposed to be uploaded the files needed to burn the disc yourself and I'll post them when I see them..

Kevin D.
  • Henk
    • Jun 2003

Good news Kevin. Keep us informed.

Comment

• Elljot
      • Dec 2003

It seems to be right.
      Rotel-Germany (B&W) told me today, that the Update-CD will be avaible next week. I wait for the Update since 1 month, because I think the RDV-1060 has a lot of bugs:

1. It is not possible to navigate in the DVD-Menus if the Player is in the PAL-Progr.-Mode. You have to start in interlaced-Mode, make all the settings and start the Discs. After that you can drop the Progressive-Key and the Player starts again in progressive-mode.

2. Some settings in the Player-Setup changed, if you call the Submenu: So the size of the Center is allways set to ┬┤great┬┤, if you go to the Speaker-Configuration-Submenu.

3. The Progressive-Scart bug

4. ....

I hope, all bugs are fixed in the update ... and you can understand my
      terrible english, sorry !

Elljot

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Guy just got back to me today.. I'm setting up an FTP site so he can send me the 25MB file.. I'll let you know..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Got the files.. Unfortunately from the readme it seems it only fixes discrete on/off from the RS232 port.. It also mentions needing a DVD-Audio disc which contains "CPPM" code.. It's in the poorly translated Japanese, so I don't quite understand it.. Does the 1060 come with a DVDA disc?? Maybe that's the disc they have to send you, and then you burn the other.. Here's something of value:

To confirm the current software version in the unit:
          1. Power ON the unit. OFF by remote unit and ON again. Then, open the door.
          2. Press Cursor down, up, right and left. It will be appeared the version display on TV Monitor. Read the Version Number, issued date, REGION number and PIC IC version Number. When access the other button, the display will disappear.
          If anyone wants it, I've stripped it of the fluff, and it's now only 640k ... According to the instructions you need to burn at least 20MB worth of stuff more to the disc with the firmware so that the 1060 can read it better. They just had a bunch of big PDF files in the Zip.. Seems anything 20MB+ will work..

FTP://shr00m.no-ip.info/
          Login: 1060
          Pass: 1060

Kevin D.

Comment

• Henk
            • Jun 2003

Kevin - many thanks. I downloaded the zip file from your site, but I must admit to being somewhat reserved about burning the software to disk and installing the upgrade. As you say, the instructions are not all clear (downright confusing IMHO) and I would hate to make an unsuccessful upgrade which may cause the unit not to function at all. If the upgrade fails Rotel may not be overly keen (especially over the Christmas period) to assist in getting the unit functional again.

Moreover, as you point out it is an open question whether the new firmware addresses any of the RDV1060 bugs identified on the forum. Perhaps most users would not need the upgrade at all. (On the other hand, it may be obligatory to do the upgrade in order load later firmware updates, who knows.)

What I can say is that no DVD-A disk was included with my RDV1060. Whether one can simply use any DVD-A is unknown, also if one can simply burn any 20MB data to the disk to assist the unit in reading the firmware upgrade.

All things considered it would perhaps be best (at this stage at least) to leave the upgrade until an "official" download is made available by Rotel, with clear instructions and info about bug fixes. I would feel far more comfortable if the local Rotel distributor can confirm the steps to be taken to load the firmware successfully.

What needs to be stressed though is that the RDV1060 is seriously in need of a firmware upgrade. The bugs are not only annoying, they hamper the proper functioning of the unit. I am a great admirer of Rotel products, but IMHO the RDV1060 does not match the quality of other products in the Rotel range. According to the local Rotel distributor some owners have also complained about "noisy mechanisms", so much so that a free replacement is being made available by Rotel. My unit occasionally makes a strange "ticking" noise when loading and playing disks (clearly audible in quiet passages of music). A replacement unit offered by my dealer did the same thing. Taking everything into account one wonders whether Rotel really tested the player properly before embarking on sales.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"