• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
    Krell, or Theta, or Lexicon.
    Don't forget Meridian and Goldmund! Both these have IMHO more to offer than Krell and Lexicon...

When you make the switch, be sure that you get a PrePro with DIGITAL outputs. If you don't, you will see your self upgrading in no-time again.

I just had a look at Lexicon, and they don't seem to offer digital outputs....

Peter

Comment

• starford
      • Aug 2003

I can't wait to swap out of my C1. I'm fed up with flaky software loads, cryptic menuing and unpredictable behavior. The box still doesn't do some of what it's supposed to do (like Zone 2 IR control). All the complaints here are valid.

I'd by the Lexicon 12B if it wasn't so ancient. But, gentle friends, look at how hard Lexicon (Harmon) is working to keep the 12B current. This is the model Parasound should be following; it's costing them customers.

The Meridian and the Theta are where I'd like to be, but I don't have a $12k budget. These both are, essentially, computers with I/O cards, optimized for A/V.

I hadn't seen Goldmund, so thanks for the tip Peter.

While on the subject of AV computers, have you seen the Kelidascape? http://www.kaleidescape.com/

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

Doesn't Goldmund's entry-level stuff ring in somewhere to the tune of $40K?

Comment

• eduardw
          • May 2004

I know this a thread about the halos, but I would like to know if there is any news about new software for the 7100 pre. The 7100 is now out for more then a year. I have no direct wishes for new software features, but any new improved features would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eduard

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Eduard, just like Parasound didn't release any OFFICIAL Halo software updates posted on their website for 2-3 years, they haven't officially released any for the 7100, either. Now, this is not to say that they haven't developed any in-house for common bugs that are being found (if any). If you've got something that isn't working quite right in the 7100, Parasound might be able to provide an update like that, that they've developed, but in general they don't release small bug updates as people tend to create more problems installing them than they fix. Major updates that add functionality like the Halo DPLIIx addition will be publicized.

My rough gut guess is, due to length of time that the Halo processors have been out, we'll first see a hardware upgrade for them, then perhaps a hardware or software upgrade for the 7100 after that. Thinking about it, though, I'm not too sure of what you could add for the 7100 that would only be software-based right now. It's got all the latest capabilities and toys, and anything more, like HDMI audio decoding, would take major hardware, not just software.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• rocasi
              • Dec 2003

Well, it took long enough, but I finally got around to updating my C2. I was very concerned about potential problems with USB cables and just decided to move the C2 near my desktop and use a direct cable. I happened to be re-wiring my system, so it was a good time.

The update went perfectly as per the directions. THe DPLIIx seems very nice. I will have to learn about the other features. Thanks for all the tips guys.
              My system: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

As I posted in the other thread about the new MX Editor software program, MX Editor itself has a new update dated 25 Jul 06. The new software version is 1.12.267, with an IR database of 1.76.

However, Universal Remote Control is releasing a new remote control editing program called "Complete Control" that will update all of URC's remotes, presumably including Parasound's remote controls that are made by URC.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• slayer
                  • Dec 2005

Anything new from Parasound for the C1 and C2's? Or are there no other plans for software updates?
                  Parasound Halo C2
                  Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
                  Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                  Oppo BDP103
                  Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
                  Xbox One
                  Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
                  Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
                  BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
                  Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
                  Energy Veritas 2.0i center
                  CAT Tiburon series side surround
                  Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
                  Velodyne SMS-1
                  Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Chetk
                    • May 2004

I don't think any other plans are underway. It's my belief that Parasound is still trying to figure out what the acronym "HDMI" stands for.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Good question, and good answer.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• sprout
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Chetk
                        I don't think any other plans are underway. It's my belief that Parasound is still trying to figure out what the acronym "HDMI" stands for.
                        Perhaps they are actually the wise ones who realised like a lot of people that it stands for:

HUGELY DEFECTIVE MULTIMEDIA INTERFACE :rofl:

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Well, I've learned of a lot of HDMI problems, so I'm no longer in the "HDMI is the ultimate goal" camp.

But in all reality, HDMI still gives me the best video color and detail in my theater, so until something better comes around, it's still the best option IMHO.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• nicholtl
                            • Aug 2003

Well I've already sold my C2 and A51 NOT because I didn't love them anymore, but simply because I wanted to downgrade to a smaller system while I move into a new apartment for now...

In the meantime, I bought a Pioneer Elite 84TXSi which has 4 HDMI ports, and it's quite refreshing to use it in conjuction with HDMI-capable DVD/DVD-A/SACD players (had to get rid of all my analog Kimber Hero's). Plus the fact it can upconvert all video sources to 1080i...well, that is almost worth the price of admission alone.

Comment

• Loffen
                              • Oct 2005

Parasounds HDMI solution.....

Here it is...

Of course it has a 600 USD retail

The Zhd - HDMI Switcher is designed to select up to five HDMI sources and route them to a single HDMI output. It switches the entire HDMI signal, including video, audio and the critical encryption signal for copyright protection. It does not decode HDMI signals. It does not alter or degrade the HDMI signal in any way. The Zhd also includes a switchable HDMI boost function to increase the strength of the HDMI output when it is attached to a long HDMI cable run. The Zhd is fully HDCP compliant. You can control the Zhd by the front panel, IR remote, RS-232 or automatically, by linking it to a Parasound 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Controller. The Zhd does not have to be visible or accessible unless you wish to operate it manually with its front panel buttons.

Zhd Specifications

HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 certified
                              Fully HDCP compliant
                              Five inputs, one output HDMI video and audio switcher
                              Supports video resolutions up to 1080p and high resolution multi-channel digital audio
                              Switchable HDMI booster for extra-long HDMI cable runs
                              Links to Parasound 7.1 channel surround sound controllers (Halo C 1, C 2, NewClassic 7100) for seamless, automatic input switching
                              IR remote control handset included; discrete IR codes
                              HDMI output temporary 'mute' function
                              Illuminated front panel indictors for input and boost
                              RS-232C two-way communication with DB9 connector
                              Unsolicited automatic RS-232 feedback for easy system integration
                              External IR repeater input and loop out jacks
                              Detachable IEC AC power cord
                              Switchable 115v / 230v operation
                              1u half-rack space chassis
                              (W x D x H): 9 ½" x 9" x 2 ¼" / 1 ¾" without feet
                              (W x D x H): 242mm x 229mm x 57.5mm / 44.5mm without feet
                              Parasound 10 year parts, 5 years labor warranty
                              (For US & Canada purchases only)
                              Last edited by Loffen; 22 August 2007, 08:34 Wednesday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Yes, I've got one of the Zhd's myself... several threads about it here. Works great, very good solution!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Loffen
                                  Here it is...

Of course it has a 600 USD retail

The Zhd - HDMI Switcher is designed to select up to five HDMI sources and route them to a single HDMI output. It switches the entire HDMI signal, including video, audio and the critical encryption signal for copyright protection. It does not decode HDMI signals. It does not alter or degrade the HDMI signal in any way. The Zhd also includes a switchable HDMI boost function to increase the strength of the HDMI output when it is attached to a long HDMI cable run. The Zhd is fully HDCP compliant. You can control the Zhd by the front panel, IR remote, RS-232 or automatically, by linking it to a Parasound 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Controller. The Zhd does not have to be visible or accessible unless you wish to operate it manually with its front panel buttons.

Zhd Specifications

HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 certified
                                  Fully HDCP compliant
                                  Five inputs, one output HDMI video and audio switcher
                                  Supports video resolutions up to 1080p and high resolution multi-channel digital audio
                                  Switchable HDMI booster for extra-long HDMI cable runs
                                  Links to Parasound 7.1 channel surround sound controllers (Halo C 1, C 2, NewClassic 7100) for seamless, automatic input switching
                                  IR remote control handset included; discrete IR codes
                                  HDMI output temporary 'mute' function
                                  Illuminated front panel indictors for input and boost
                                  RS-232C two-way communication with DB9 connector
                                  Unsolicited automatic RS-232 feedback for easy system integration
                                  External IR repeater input and loop out jacks
                                  Detachable IEC AC power cord
                                  Switchable 115v / 230v operation
                                  1u half-rack space chassis
                                  (W x D x H): 9 ½" x 9" x 2 ¼" / 1 ¾" without feet
                                  (W x D x H): 242mm x 229mm x 57.5mm / 44.5mm without feet
                                  Parasound 10 year parts, 5 years labor warranty
                                  (For US & Canada purchases only)
                                  No analog 7.1 output

Comment

• Loffen
                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by LuckyLuke
                                    No analog 7.1 output
                                    Ehh.......

This is just a HDMI switcher that will work with the C1,C2 and 7100 and talk to them via a RS232 so you do not need to use an extra remote.

The 7.1 analog we have some where else :T

Espen

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                                      • Jun 2005

Just a HDMI switcher at 600 USD retail .................
                                      tssssssss..

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

I think what he was getting at there is the the Zhd only does HDMI switching. (EDIT: oh, and also has the HDMI signal boosting function) It is not a receiver or processor, that may receive a HDMI audio signal and break it out to multichannel analog outputs.
                                        Last edited by Chris D; 10 September 2007, 17:32 Monday.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Semi off-topic... just saw that we hit 20,000 views of this thread. Kinda cool!
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mahdlokg
                                            • Jul 2007

Parasound Questions

Since this thread is the only one on here that has recent posts about Parasound, I'd like to get some opinions/feedback by Parasound owners as to how they like their gear and which products I may want to look at. I'm looking at the Audio Advisor website and see there are two lines (Halo and New Classic) Anyone have any experience with these multi channel amps and/or processors? How do you compare them with other equipment you have demo'd and which pieces do you have? Thanks for any input!

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Hey, mahdlokg, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

You may get more responses to your question by posting in a dedicated thread so people know the topic. But yes, both lines are very, very good equipment, and I myself own a C1, A21, A51, Zhd, Zpre2, Ztuner, 2 Zamps, and 2 Zfans. For the price, (this is key... there are better things out there, but at a much more expensive price point) I haven't yet found anything that can sonically match the C1/C2, or the 7100 at its respective price point. There are models out there that have more current features, such as accepting HDMI audio, (i.e. new Denon, Integra, etc) but I haven't found them to be as precise in clarity/fidelity yet.

I'd recommend looking in our FAQ thread (which has come time for me to update yet again) and doing a search through the hundreds of threads here in the club, we've got all sorts of opinions, both plus and minus, from owners on their various Parasound gear. Good hunting!
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• rocasi
                                                • Dec 2003

I needed a pure HDMI video switch and spent $36 on the monoprice 1.3b 4x1 HDMI switch. Works like a champ with my Blu Ray player, HTPC and HD OTA tuner. I too need a good 7.1 switch but have not found any reasonably priced gear.
                                                My system: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                  • Jul 2008

I took my A23 back today due of the Unit Humming they think it's a bad transformer, I was think about changing it for a Rotel but they are not as good as the Halo so I will be sticking with Halo.

Just wondering if anyone else has issues like this!
                                                  2ch Setup
                                                  Krix Neupohonix
                                                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                                                  Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                                                  MIT

Comment

• slayer
                                                    • Dec 2005

Is this a dead forum these days? What is the current firmware for a C2? I havn't been around in a while. My C2 is still a champ and I've had no issues. I just picked up a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC to add to my system. Got me all excited to get back into this.
                                                    Parasound Halo C2
                                                    Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                                                    Oppo BDP103
                                                    Xbox One
                                                    Velodyne SMS-1

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Slayer, the first post of this thread was kept current through the service life on the C1/C2. So 6.86 is still the current firmware for these models. With these models out of production and no longer updated by Parasound, we won't be seeing any more firmware updates for them. (side note, but I'm not sure if we'll ever see another HT processor from Parasound or not) But all this time later, yes, I'm still using my C1 as my primary HT processor, and it's running great.
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• slayer
                                                        • Dec 2005

Thanks for responding Chris. Obviously I'm still using mine too. I still see no reason to upgrade. Only thing I would gain is features. HD Audio decoding is the only real feature I wish it had. But, I can live without it for now. I will replace it when it dies. I need to see if mine needs an update though. Is it still available on their site?
                                                        Parasound Halo C2
                                                        Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                                                        Oppo BDP103
                                                        Xbox One
                                                        Velodyne SMS-1

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

About the firmware, I just checked, and yes, it's still there. Go to the C1 webpage:

Then click on "downloads", and then "More Info" next to the System Software. You have to acknowledge that you accept risk, and then read the instructions.

I can't remember if I had recommended this with you specifically before, Slayer, but since you're in Sacramento, I'd recommend calling Parasound tech support direct, and then make the 1 hour drive direct to Parasound headquarters if they'll do the upgrade for you.

As for the HD audio decoding, if you missed it, see this thread here where I talk about how I've done that with my C1. Still getting great results, and full modern A/V features. (the thread seems rather popular... one of our higher viewed threads here in the club)--
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• slayer
                                                            • Dec 2005

I remember when you first started that thread. I'm honestly going to hold out until I'm forced to get a new pre/pro. I'm building a HotRod right now and my funds all go to that. The Dac I just picked up was just a deal I couldn't pass up. Thanks for the tip on Parasound. I've talked to them a few times. I used to be a dealer for them, I had a small custom A/V business. I don't even remember how to figure out what firmware version I have right now. I will read back in this thread and see if it says how. Thanks for the help.
                                                            Parasound Halo C2
                                                            Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                                                            Oppo BDP103
                                                            Xbox One
                                                            Velodyne SMS-1

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Yup, and right in the FAQ, too. Just press and hold the front panel power button when you turn it on.
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"