X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britchie
    • Nov 2003

Any Suggestions on a CD player?

Hello I recently purchased a Rotel 1098 with the 1095 AMP. I am looking to Add a new CD player to the mix and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on which one to go with. Initially I was considering a high end DVD player (Denon 2900 or Pioneer dv-47ai) because I wanted the SACD capabilities. After doing some addditional research, it seems a dedicated CD player will perform better than one of these all in ones. I am willing to live w/out SACD and I'm considering a Rotel RCC-1055, RCD-1072, or RCD-02. Anyone have a similar configuration? I would really appreciate any advice you can give. Also, is the RCD-02 a less sophisticated machine? I can get one of these for about $300. I wonder why?

Thanks,

Brad
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

I had the same idea myself,

I owned a RCD-975 wich was a a very fine unit.
    When the 971 came out I wanted to upgrade, but found no major difference between both units. So I kept my 975.

When the 2900 came out, I took it home to compare it with the RCD-975. The main difference is in the bass area. The rotel is tighter, the Denon a bit warmer in sound. The weak link seems to be the power supply in the 2900.

However the difference is to that huge. I can definately live with the CD performance. The only problem is that if you own some SACD's, it is such a dissapointment to go back to CD again 8)

I would suspect that a RCD-02 would not sound better than a 2900. The 1070 or 1072 will, but then again the difference will not be that mutch.

A RCD-991 of 990 is also a nice suggestion. You can find used ones for cheap. This will outperorm any of the players.

I would suggest you listen to the 1072 and a 2900 and see for yourself.
    Good luck

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I have found my Denon DVD-2900 performs very well in the cd arena and rivals any of the "dedicated" cd players I own. Especially with your wonderful Rotel amp/pre-pro combo, a universal player would complement your system beautifully. The sound is incredible for multi-channel music (dvd-a/sacd) or just 2-channel for "standard" cd play.

With the recent release of the Denon DVD-5900, I believe you can pick up a 2900 for a very decent price.

And yes, once you get into multi-channel sacd, it is hard to go back to regular cds. I picked up Elton John's recent release of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on SACD the other day and listened to it last night. Whoa!! I then compared it to the traditional cd and there is no comparison (I compared the sound of stereo and multi-channel of the SACD version to the "original").

All this plus and really super player for dvd-video.

Hope this helps...

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

From what I understand Rotels 991 is the best CD player they've ever made. The 975 isn't quite as good but also stellar and likely a better buy then a new 1072 if you can find one for a good price.

The Denon's are likely very good all in one machines and I find the DAC's in my lowly 1600 to be superior to those in my 1098 but by all accounts a dedicated CD player will sound better for CD's then the Denon's...so it pretty much boils down to how important SACD is to you? Adding something affordable like the Denon 1600 gives you DVD and DVD-A so it really only comes down to SACD

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
          Adding something affordable like the Denon 1600 gives you DVD and DVD-A so it really only comes down to SACD
          Nevermind the 1600 Andrew, how about the new 2200? It would give you DVD-V and DVD-A on par with the 1600 plus SACD. Sure the more expensive universal players will outperform it but for the budget minded you could probably get the 2200 plus a nice dedicated Rotel CD player for about the same as one of the more expensive universal players. By all means if you have the funds, go for the pricier/better performing players though.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Good point Jason:T

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Andrew:

Have you compared, objectively, the DVD-2900 to either the 1600 or the Rotel's you mentioned?

Just curious.

Jim
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"