X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

RDV-1050 Oddity

My RDV-1050 started exhibiting some strange behavior that seemed to occur without reason this evening. It appears to be cycling power on and off.

If push the "Standby" button to turn it on it immediately shuts off. Samething with the "Open/Close" button. If I hold the "Open/Close" button down the unit turns on the tray opens just a bit then turns off then turns back on opens the tray a bit more and then off again, all the while "Hello" flashes on and off. This cycle repeats itself until the tray is completely extended. The opposite occurs when I hold down the "Standby" button. Bottom line, my player seems to be out of commission.

Has anyone seen this before? :roll:
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not on a 1050, but I have seen some players just freak out before. Have you tried removing power for 5 minutes and plugging it back in?

Kevin D.

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Hey Kevin, I have completely disconnected the unit from my system and I also tried the 5 minute (more like 1 hour) power disconnect and reconnect, and no luck. I also asked Rotel about this and it was new to them as well.

Very wierd. Looks like I will be sending it in to them. Do you know if Rotel covers in-bound shipping?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Nope, but we believe that part being a dealer involves taking care of warranty issues for the customer. So when one of ours has problems, we send it in for them. That said, some dealers don't believe in doing anything without making money.. Ask your dealer if they can send it in for you. If not, at least it's one of their lighter pieces...

Kevin D.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Will do, thanks.

Comment

• Mouton
            • Sep 2005

Sorry to hear that you have had problems.

I really must say that Rotel's quality control have gone down the drain.

During the 90's I owned several Rotel products, (both new and used) and I had no problems.

I now buy a new RSX-1056 and a RDV-1050 and what happens? The remote on the 1056 is DOA. The RGB on the 1050 is defunct. I get a new remote and a new 1050. That should make up for the fact that both my products were faulty from the beginning. My question here is how could it even happen that two out of two products ar faulty off the production line?

Well, guess what? The replacement 1050 I got was also faulty! How can it be that a company that claims to be mid end in HiFi and has a long tradition of making quality products now delivers three faulty products out of three to me?

OT, I know, but the hiss issue on the 1056 is now accepted by us customers. Ten years ago it wouldn't have stood. I think it's time we start putting the foot down - even when it is from manufacturers we like. I like Rotel but their lack of QC will seriously impact any future purchase decisions.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I appreciate the sentiments Mouton. Thing is, I really like the Rotel look, feel and sound, not the least of which is their pricing, which makes a situation like this an unfortunate one.

Today is the first day on the turnaround train. Hopefully the ride will be a comfortable one.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Well, it has been one week now. Looks like the package hit their dock this morning. They already have my phone number. I am curious if they will use it to keep me informed. Now the real test of service begins.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Week two has just past. They told me last Friday I should hear something from them next week. Let's see if they make good on that before I have to call them... again.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Well I received some good news today from Rotel Technical Support. My RDV-1050 has been repaired and was shipped via UPS on Monday, November 28. I checked the tracking number and it looks like I'll get it next Monday (December 5).

Turns out the problem was a bad power supply capacitor. They also replaced the drawer mechanism.

Once the little bugger gets back in my possession I will follow up with my final thoughts on how I thought this all went.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"