X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

*FYI* Rotel's RDV-1060 is now DISCONTINUED

This is mainly for the US market, but I'm sure it applies everywhere.

Got the word today that the RDV-1060 is no more. Rotel has ZERO silver units left and a very limited supply of black. If you are considering one, I would check and see if your dealer has any available.

The good news is this might help those trying to figure out what DVD player to get, just by narrowing the field down a bit.

Kevin D.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
    This is mainly for the US market, but I'm sure it applies everywhere.

Got the word today that the RDV-1060 is no more. Rotel has ZERO silver units left and a very limited supply of black. If you are considering one, I would check and see if your dealer has any available.

The good news is this might help those trying to figure out what DVD player to get, just by narrowing the field down a bit.

Kevin D.
    My dealer told me about this the other day. I put $100 down on their last silver unit, so it mine unless my final choice is to not go with it.

Comment

• StillLearnin'
      • Feb 2005

Got the word today that the RDV-1060 is no more.
      Kevin D.
      Could this mean that they might come out with a new player sometime soon?

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I'm sure they will.

Comment

• bimmer528
          • Sep 2004

should have waited, would have got more $, just sold mine yesterday

Comment

• StillLearnin'
            • Feb 2005

Q1 2006

I wrote to Rotel when I read that the Rotel RDV-1060 was discontinued. I was curious about what their next generation of DVD player would be.

Here is their response:

Rotel will not include DVI on any model since HDMI is becoming the preferred standard. Rotel is currently working on a new DVD player that will have a HDMI output available. This unit should be available sometime in the first quarter of 2006. Unfortunately I do not have any further details on this model but we do anxiously await its release.

:dothewave:

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Yeah, do a search for 'RDV-1092'. Upscaling DVD/DVDA player (SACD very doubtful). The downside is if you were thinking about the 1060, the 1090 will be way out of your price range. It will most likely be $1500+ US.

Kevin D.
              Last edited by Kevin D; 06 November 2005, 19:09 Sunday.

Comment

• StillLearnin'
                • Feb 2005

Yeah, do a search for 'RDV-1090'.
                Kevin D.
                Have not found anything substantive on that other than speculative posts on forums such as this one...

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Sorry, wrong number.. The RDV-1092 is right. I know that the 1092 specific info in this thread is correct, and not speculation:

Kevin D.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Kevin D, why do you think that Rotel have removed their top-end DVD player from the market so long before its replacement model is available?

I work in the computer industry and such a strategy is unheard of.

It makes me wonder whether the RDV-1060 was selling so poorly that Rotel could no longer justify the cost of manufacturing it. Is there any evidence to support this?

Is there a significant difference between the RDV-1060 and its siblings, the RDV-1050 and the RDV-1040? Could this be the reason why it's been axed mid-life?

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

It's most likely that a key component (transport, circuit, etc) was either no longer available or that they would have to purchase way more then then they need to keep the same price.

From what I heard the discontinuation was a surprise to Rotel US, they were expecting a shipment when they got the word.

There's plenty of comparison between the 1060 and 1050 if you do a search.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Vicente
                        • May 2004

Any news about the replacement? I'm seeing some very good universal readers in the market right now (Hi levels from Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz...) and we don't know anything from Rotel about its new 1092.

C'mon Rotel, if it's true that the new DVD reader will be launched at the begining of 2006 we should have already some official info, at least specs and unveil if it is also universal or only DVD-A.

You have many people waiting.....

Comment

• mattburk
                          • Feb 2003

I was told by my dealer that it would have sacd, has this been confirmed?
                          www.mycstone.com
                          www.coverednow.com
                          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Vicente
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                            It makes me wonder whether the RDV-1060 was selling so poorly that Rotel could no longer justify the cost of manufacturing it.

I think the 1060 was nowadays overpriced compared to units from other brands with a better picture quality, connectivity and performance that are selling for much less money.

I recognize that it is an overall good DVD reader with a pretty good sound, but most of us also decided to buy it because the nice faceplate, matching with the rest of our Rotel equipment.

I don't understand Rotel now launching a new model still more expensive, thinking that we have HD DVD and Blue Ray coming so soon.

At least there should be a cheaper model with the same sound quality of the 1060 but with a better pq and connectivity (1080i, HDMI) and that would be a top seller, until the new technologies are clear.

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                              • Aug 2004

What does this mean? I've had mine for about a year and a half now so an upgrade would be a logical step.Amazing how a product so good and all of a sudden they phase it out. Blame it on technology nowadays, the electronics you buy today is completely worthless in 6 months. Co/n/m/petition is too steep among these manufacturers and we get the shaft. Oh well! Now the question is I have a relic at hand, Is it worth selling for a good price? Who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"