New RCD1072: analog or digital out to my 1068??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

New RCD1072: analog or digital out to my 1068??

After Spending $26k on my system, I thought that it was about time that I got a decent CD Player. My $200 Toshiba was probably a serious weak link in my music listening experience. Now, how much of an improvement am I likely to see (I am picking it up on friday) over my dvd player?
    With the 1068 should I connect it with the analog connections or digital???
    Any advantages/disadvantages ???

Thanks for you help everyone
    Stew

rcd 1072
    Rotel 1068 processor
    Rotel 1095 Amp
    B&W 803s
    B&W Htm3s
    ccm 80 in ceiling surrounds
    REL Stentor Sub
    Stew
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You should hear a substantial improvement over your DVD player. The 1072 is ranked up there with some of the best. I would recommend hooking it up analog with some decent cables. You can still use all the sound fields, or run in stereo bypass to be amazed at 2ch sound.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

With that gear linup...it would have been a shame to still have that Toshiba DVD player for cd playback. You won't be sorry for your purchase. I can't tell you much about digital vs. analog, since I can only use it analog with my RB-1080 and RC-1070. Let us know what you think once you get it.

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

I can speak on the digital vs analog issue as I've been A/B-ing my 1060 DVD analog vs digital. Proper cables make a difference. That being said, I still hear a wider, deeper sound stage with analog vs digital every time, instantly. One of the parts that makes the 1072 so nice is the DACs, which you'll bypass if you go digital.

As for how much a difference you'll see vs your Toshiba? I can tell you that there's enough of a difference between the 1072 and the 1060 that I'm saving to purchase a 1072 to add to my system. So, I suspect you'll hear quite the improvement.

Please check back and let us know what you find. And don't forget to make sure you have good interconnects.

Comment

• JohnAng
          • Sep 2005

definately run in analog and in bypass mode. I did it both ways and found analog in bypass mode to offer the best results for 2 channel listening

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Hi,

I was stunned at the improvement the RCD-1072 made... I expect you to be as well.

I use both Analog and Digital inputs from the RCD-1072. I use analog for pure stereo and I have the digital cable set-up to a spare input port for Prologic IIx Musici Mode listenning or when I want the sub-woofer on. Basically as soon as you go away from pure 2 channel stereo the processor will regitisue the analog signal any way - so you are usually better of with a digital link.

I use the CD device and it's analogue input for stereo and I switch to the spare input (which I have named CD Digital) when I want 7.1 listening. It is worth experimenting with pro-logic IIx for "fun" listenning - especially of pop / rock / dance. Make sure you change the setings in ProLogic IIx music mode to Center 2 or 3, Panorama on and Dimesnion 3 or 4 - try tweaking it can be fun!

Geoff

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by grit
              And don't forget to make sure you have good interconnects.
              Does $$ interconnects really make a difference for 1 meter of digital connection?

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

For analog they can make a real difference, more so than digital... Digital, buying super expensive interconnects, is some what pointless...

Though I'm sure people will disagree.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• NMG
                  • Oct 2004

I just replaced my Yamaha changer (which was better than my DVD player) with an RCD-1072 and it is a significant improvement in every way (other than the fact that it is a single tray vs a 5 disc tray . . . LOL).

The sound quality is what matters most though and in these regards, the 1072 kills my old player.

Comment

• stewfoo
                    • Jul 2005

Thanks guys!

Geoff, I have the REL Stentor sub that has the high level neutrik connects. So, I can still run the sub with 2 ch.
                    can I still use 5 ch. stereo and other effects when using analog connects?

I am super excited about this purchase. I have always felt like I was driving a Ferrari but using gas from tijuana.... Does that make sense? The source is just crappy. So, off I go to pick it up. I will start with analog and see how it goes
                    Stew
                    Stew

Comment

• H.Donald
                      • Aug 2004

Every component that I have in my system is conected both ways.
                      My Rcd 1072 uses both analog and digital coax connections...is there a difference,yes...and for me it all depends on the music.To me some albums seem to sound better with the coax,others with analog.
                      I have hooked up my cable box and my dvd player the same way,with both analog and digital optical cables.I prefer coax over optical...but no choice with the latter two.

Comment

• stewfoo
                        • Jul 2005

I have hooked up the 1072 with analog audioquest jaguar interconnects. Any comments on these cables? It was the only brand that my dealer carries.
                        The one major difference that I notice is that the noise floor is incredibly low. I am letting it run on repeat all night to burn it in... Thanks for everyone's help
                        Stew
                        Stew

Comment

• grit
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jim777
                          Does $$ interconnects really make a difference for 1 meter of digital connection?
                          We're not to discuss brands of interconnects, but I will say that I have A/B compared various brands and various quality within a brand. I can tell you cable quality does make a difference. Be sure to do some testing on your system. Typically, the most important cables are the ones from the source to the processor.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"