X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinnu
    • Oct 2005

Bridged RB-980BX or RB-991

Hi Guys,

I have an RB-980BX (2 X 120W) driving my front speakers (90dB, 250W @ 8 ohms). I am thinking of upgrading my amp to get most out of my fronts. I am debating whether to buy a used RB-991 (2 X 200W) or buy another RB-980BX and use it in bridged mode (360W). What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Well, distortion goes up when you bridge an amp and the minimum ohm load goes up as well. Generally it's best advised to NOT bridge an amp. Post what speakers you are using. While they are 8ohm nominal, they might dip lower than that at certain frequencies. That's something that could cause problems on a bridged amp.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jonesy
      • Feb 2003

My 991 is pushing my B&W 604's very nicely. It also ran my old Infinity's beautifully. I can't see it having a problem driving most speakers, unless you have something that requires gobs of power.

I had a 971 (70w x 2, 180w bridged) that I bridged for my center channel and when I put the center back on my 985mkII (100w), aside from having to bump up my center level a bit, I didn't find anything lacking.

I'd tend to agree with Kevin. I didn't see any huge benefit from bridging.

Comment

• dinnu
        • Oct 2005

I have Polk RTi100 as my mains (hopefully I will be upgrading these soon). I would love to go with RB991, but they are so hard to find and there are a quite a few 980s available. I guess I 'll just keep looking for an RB991.

Thanks for your input guys... I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"