X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heykman
    • Oct 2005

RSX-1056 Question

First off I am glad to have stumbled on to this forum. What a wealth of information! And thank goodness because I am by no means an audifile. I just know what I think sounds good.

Yesterday I purchased my first peice of Rotel equipment. After auditioning many receivers and searching through many posts in "Club Rotel" I decided to buy the RSX-1056 along with the RB-1080. So I took it home and set it up (just the 1056) and I noticed noise from the front and center speakers (didn't have the surrounds connected) when I paused my DVD player.

I have read about the dreaded "hiss" some owners were experiencing and I just wanted to find out if this noise is normal when a DVD or CD is paused or should there be no noise from my speakers as when I press mute or set the volume to min?

This leads me to another question if I may, is there enough sound quality difference to justify returning the 1056 and 1080 and purchasing the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Do you get that hiss from any other source? It may be your DVD player.

BTW, I have the 1068 and 1075... excellent combo. After that, you're just adding stuff (dedicated CD player, dedicated 2-ch stereo amp) or buying more expensive equipment (Krell, Classe, etc.).

Comment

• heykman
      • Oct 2005

Hey Grit,

Thanks for the quick reply! I went home for lunch and tried a couple of other tests. I am still getting this faint but definitely audible "ssshhh" noise from my speakers. I have a dvd player connected and a satellite receiver connected and I am getting this noise for each input from CD to Vid 5 whether there is anything connected or not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't there be no noise or the same as if mute was on or the volume set to min?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I need to make a hot key for this.... With the unit turned up loud with nothing playing, expect hiss. Hiss that you can hear 0-3 feet from the speaker, but not a your sitting location is normal.

As far as the choices, I think your better off with what you have. The 1056 vs 1068 is a heated debate with the 1068 usually just barely wining. But then you loose your tuner. You would gain more power for your center and rears, but lose power and sound quality on your fronts. You would also lose two extra channels for 7.1 or multiroom.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

Yeah, the faint hiss is normal. Usually, I have to put my ear up to the speaker to hear it. It should not be audible when playing music though.

Comment

• Vicente
            • May 2004

heykman, it seems for what you say that the hiss is really loud. I have a 1056 since April 2004 (probably one of the first ones in Spain) and didn't have any hiss issues at all.

Maybe you should ask for a replacement.

Comment

• heykman
              • Oct 2005

Thanks everyone for all your help! This is a great place to get good info.

I think I am going to return and go the separates route, 1068 and 1075 and then later add the 1080 and possibly a tuner.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"