X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

Is RSP-1066 a quiet pre-amp?

Only recently I've noticed that I can hear a hissing from my speakers (only noticeable when I put my ears close to the tweeters) which almost doesn’t increase if I increase the volume. This sound it’s only perceptible in the tweeters and not in the woofers.

However, if I lower the volume on RSP-1066 to MIN that hissing stops. As soon as I change from MIN to 1, 2, 50, I get that.

Could this be a problem with my RSP-1066 or it’s normal that the pre-amplifier produces some noise? Could this noise come from one of the sources, like the CD player, the TV, the DVD player? (However if I disconnect all of them I still get the hissing).

I’ve some rubber caps (silicone made) protecting all free RCA inputs from dust. In order to have better protection I’m planning to replace them for Cardas RCA caps. Could this be the problem?

P.e If I switch off RSP-1066, even with RMB-1075 on, nothing came from my speakers.

Thx
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • Bob Knarly
    • Mar 2004

Yes,a little noise is normal,at about a foot away you should not hear noise,at 6"just a little.The price of hearing no noise is quite expensive and can depend on many things,regards.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I’ve some rubber caps (silicone made) protecting all free RCA inputs from dust. In order to have better protection I’m planning to replace them for Cardas RCA caps. Could this be the problem?
      If those are those expensive metal caps don't bother they offer no benefit over what you're using now. If you really did want to upgrade what you have now simple buy some cheap RCA's and either solder the ground to the centre pin or insert a small resistor.

Comment

• MattCXII
        • Feb 2004

I had a similar problem with my RSP 1066/1075 combo. After weeks of playing around with it I bought a Audioquest VDM-3 Coax Cable. That has fixed my static/noise problem completely. I now turn the volume right up to max and I have zero noise.

When I was using the cheaper cable before I heard a ton of noise. I still use the other one for digital cable and did a compare between the two. The clarity of the 6.1% silver center conductor is fantastic. I would recommend looking at your interconnects as that was where my problem was.

Matt

Comment

• pbarata
          • Feb 2003

Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
          Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• pbarata
            • Feb 2003

Thank all for your ads.

After discovering the same effect on a Classé amplifier, I'm quite sure now that the hissing is a characteristic of Rotel pre-amp. It's only that, a low hissing that can only be heard when my ear is very close to the tweeter (lesser than 30 cm).

Thanks to Andrew advice, I’ll keep also the caps I have now; they are very handy to protect the RCA in/outs against dust. The ones have are spares from a fibre optics hub, and they are used to protect the fibre sockets from dust (you can find a photo of them on the Image Gallery).

It’s good however to know that the hissing almost doesn’t increase with the volume.

Pbarata

Comment

• mariachi
              • Aug 2003

Before you give up on trying to eliminate the hiss, I would suggest you buy yourself a good power cord, or/and better interconnects between the 1066 and your amp. Although I don't have the 1066 as a preamp, I have noticed that better interconnects not only improve sound, but eliminate noise as well.

-Vic

Comment

• pbarata
                • Feb 2003

Thanks for you advice.

I’ve already quite decent interconnects, the QED Qunex 2 between pre-amp and amp (http://www.qed.co.uk) . Both Rotel RSP-1066 and RMB-1075 are connected to mains power supply using a power power distribution from Olson (mains RFI filter, earthline choke, transient suppressor and screened supply cable ), the Sound Fantastic (http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/).

But if someone that experience Qunex 2 before and changed to a different one, with better results, I will reconsider to change.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Also just an FYI for anyone reading this... When I installed my new IC's besides being a little dry and lacking depth my speakers also produced a noticeable amount of background hiss. As my components and cables broke in, not only did the sound warm and open up but the hiss all but dissapeared. So perhaps some of your equipment and/or cables need a bit of break in time?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"