Having some wierd problem with the RMB1095 and rsp1068.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Having some wierd problem with the RMB1095 and rsp1068.

Over the last few months I have noticed a problem that I thought would go away with time. My system was new a few months back and I thought after alot of break in it would smooth out.

The problem is this hiss on the highs. Maybe a crackle maybe a hiss after someone finishes singing. I tried 2 no 3 different main speakers for 2 channel and heard the same thing. I also tried Digital and analog and some thing.I'm considering the wire I use may be the problem , but I use very high quality cables and Interconnects. I also use replacement powercords.

My system also has been sounding closed up or compressed. Again I'm not sure but I could be having a amp or preamp problem as I have tried different sources and connections. Digital and analog for 2 channel.

Anyone else notice this on there system? I owned B&K before this and didn't have this I will call it a higher noise floor. My B&K was silent between the instruments, like air. For awhile I thought I achieved this with the Rotel.

My speakers are Dynaudio Audience 82s for fronts. I swapped them out with the rears (Audience 42w's) then an old pair of Polk rt12's. All share the same kind of high hiss while the music is playing.

Any thoughts????

Dmantis
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If there is any form of crackling associated with it, chances are you have one the of the first runs that had a problem. Even if it was new, it could be older stock. This needs to be repaired as it tends to gets worse over time (and possibly cause some of the other problems you are having)

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
      If there is any form of crackling associated with it, chances are you have one the of the first runs that had a problem. Even if it was new, it could be older stock. This needs to be repaired as it tends to gets worse over time (and possibly cause some of the other problems you are having)

Kevin D.
      Any chance there's a serial number range associated with this? I've noticed a faint hiss (no crackle) through my front 2 speakers (haven't checked the rest). (B&W 703s, Rotel 1068, Rotel 1075). As I increase volume, the hiss becomes more audible. The source makes no difference. Any ideas?

Comment

• lvhung
        • Jun 2005

I think the hiss is from the 1068

My friend have the same problem with 1066
        and he replaced by Denon A11( Denon 4802) as processor
        and the power is still 1095
        the sound is very very good and no issue at after all

PS : Dont think too much and sleep well at night :lol: :T

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Kev, any ideas of what serial numbers of RSP1068 are associated with problems?

Having just purchased and also just sent back a RSP1068 due to problems (not just hissing) I am very interested to know more

I would also be interested to know a way, or the best way to check my system for hiss. eg what input should be used if any? and also what mode should the source be in eg no source , or source playing or source paused or muted? and at what volume levels if any should hiss be inaudible

I have not heard any setup yet with any brand of components that cannot produce some hiss. However I am relatively new to all this and have listened mostly to budget systems.

With some (mine) the source cd had to be paused and the volume raised to extreme levels which may be completely acceptable, Im not sure.

Then there is the amp as well, how would one isolate the problem to the 1068 when you need the amp running at the same time to hear any sound?

thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

There is no serial number range that I'm aware of. Rotel would best have this information. It *MIGHT* not be that many units, but it was best described as 'crackles and pops', not hiss. If it is strickly hiss that anyone has a problem with, it's something entirely different.

Now as far as hiss, here's the low down:

1) Any hiss assoiciated with NO SOURCE PLAYING, at loud volume levels is normal.

2) Any hiss assoiciated with NO SOURCE PLAYING, at normal volume levels, but only heard from 1-3 feet (1 meter) is normal.

3) Reguardless of what some say, the above two are in the design and in now way indicate quality. There are $8k preamps that behave the same way, there are $200 receivers that don't.

4) I know the preamps do not mute the center and rears when in 2ch mode. Depending upon your seating area and volume level you COULD hear this hiss. There is currently no way to stop this.

As far as amp vs preamp, you can test the amp by just turning it on with no cables to to the inputs. You can even try with the cables unplugged from the preamp side to see if the cables are picking anything up. Otherwise, there's not much you can do.

Hope this helps,

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
              There is no serial number range that I'm aware of. Rotel would best have this information. It *MIGHT* not be that many units, but it was best described as 'crackles and pops', not hiss. If it is strickly hiss that anyone has a problem with, it's something entirely different.

Now as far as hiss, here's the low down:

1) Any hiss assoiciated with NO SOURCE PLAYING, at loud volume levels is normal.

2) Any hiss assoiciated with NO SOURCE PLAYING, at normal volume levels, but only heard from 1-3 feet (1 meter) is normal.

3) Reguardless of what some say, the above two are in the design and in now way indicate quality. There are $8k preamps that behave the same way, there are $200 receivers that don't.

4) I know the preamps do not mute the center and rears when in 2ch mode. Depending upon your seating area and volume level you COULD hear this hiss. There is currently no way to stop this.

As far as amp vs preamp, you can test the amp by just turning it on with no cables to to the inputs. You can even try with the cables unplugged from the preamp side to see if the cables are picking anything up. Otherwise, there's not much you can do.

Hope this helps,

Kevin D.
              Ok, in my case, i'm part of the normal group. Anyone know if the 1098 does the same thing?

Any chance they can fix the muting issue with a firmware update?

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

Intresting replies.

My sound is jarbled up. Like there is no space in the music. As I noted, my B&K had plenty of air and no hiss. It's not a hiss when nothing is playing, it's when listening. I tried SACD as well as cd and the sound is there and it's killing me. I have my amp now plugged into my deadicted outlet straight bypassing the power center. I have a high end replacement hospital grade outlet as well. Ps audio. Hiss is still there. I thought at first it was a bad tweeter but after 3 different speakers , it's confirmed it's not the speakers. It could be my speaker wire but by design , they reject emi and rf probably better then any other design. My Interconnects are of very high quality and I tried swapping them out for others and the damn sound follows. It's gotta be this amp or preamp. I can't think of anything else to do.

I went all threw the setup , recalibrated the system perfectly. My last test will be the preamp and amp out of the system, plugged into the deadicated outlet straight, plug in the cd player to another outlet on the same common ground, and run it and hear if it's still there. If it is and you guys don't have any other suggestions, I'm gonna call Rotel and see what they can do.

Comment

• rdram
                  • Mar 2005

Dan,

Not sure what you mean. You have a hiss, but only when a disc is playing? So if your playing a disc, and you hit the pause button, the hiss stops? Sounds like a problem with the source, doesn't it? Don't think it could be the 1095... you would think any internal problem with the amp that causes a hiss would cause a hiss all the time. Suppose it could be something in the 1068, but again, you would think it would hiss all the time. What are you using as a source? Have you tried taking the analog outs from your player and trying other inputs on the 1068? Do you have another source to try? Does your player have a variable line level which would allow you to plug it directly into the amp?

Keep us posted as to what you find out. I was thinking of going with the 1068 later this fall. Would be interested in how you resolve this.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

rdam,
                    My source is a Pioneer Elite dv47a running cd's and SACD's. This hiss happens when playing. I tried music on the comcast HDTV dual tuner DVR and I get a similar sound. It sounds compressed and jarbled. The highs seem to be the most effected by whatever is wrong as badd and mid range seem clear. I tried digital and analog and get the same results. It drives me crazy.

I'm willing to try a different cd player. And even different cables to try to isolate the problem. I'm afraid that if it comes down to I don't have any problems, I'm not caring for my sound quality. The Rotel will have to get out and I wil have to seek a better solution for my system. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

You haven't enabled Cinema-EQ by chance have you? This does what you describe, a roll-off of the high frequencies.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

When I'm listening to cd's or 2 channel sacd , I have it in bypass. The 6 channel in I have not connected as I don't listen to multichannel music. I like 2 channel SACD and use the cd in.

I could however try the front 2 external in inputs and see if the problem goes away.It shouldn't but who knows.

mantis

Comment

• lvhung
                          • Jun 2005

Hi mantis,

Did you decrease the treble on contour control to see what happen !

I own very similar gears as yours & I wanna to see
                          how you resolve your problem ?

Comment

• Dmantis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jun 2004

Well I just got back from New York City and ripped apart my gear.

I took cable, playstation 2 , Xbox, vcr, tv all out of my system. Then I hooked up my rmb1095 to the rsp1068 with a pair of Interconnects , ran another pair over to my Pioneer Elite dv47a. Speaker wire to the mains and away I went. Tonight my system sounded like I want it 2. The sound that I described as a hiss seemed to be missing. My highs where clear and natural. I was happy.

After reassembling my entire system back, I was 2 tired to try again. I also mixed up my Interconnects in the way they where connected to the amp. I moved out the surrounds to the cd player and the cd players to the surrounds. For the sheer hell of it. They are all the same brand.

I am however thinking that a killer 2 channel system would be better then trying to do home theater and 2 channel with the same system....

Got me thinking.A killer rb1090 with my Dynaudio Audience 82's in a 2 channel system would be sweet. I could buy another pair of Audience 42w's for the theater fronts and move the 82's out.... man this might be the way to go.

mantis

Comment

• lvhung
                              • Jun 2005

Your hiss is absolutely that
                              To many AV gears connect to the same power curcuit !

Comment

• Dmantis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2004

lvhung,
                                As I respect your opnion here , I don't know exaclty what my problem was or could be is. I oted owning B&K before Rotel and didn't have this problem. Actually I had another source in a Pioneer Elite Laserdisk player. Same system but with Rotel. I also had different speakers in the Lsi series from Polk.

I plan on listening to my system tonight to see if my re wire had any effects.

I use very logical wire management. I'm very anal about how and where my cables are routed. I also use the shortest possible cables for the job. Some of which I custom made.

We shall see what happens tonight. Funny I don't notice any problems when plaing DVD movies. I haven't really watched any lately .

Comment

• lvhung
                                  • Jun 2005

You remove all cables and then install again and your hiss dissapeared

I guess your cables routing maybe the cause of your problem :
                                  too long cables , power cables near signal cables....etc

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"