X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmr15
    • Jun 2004

1056 question (Hiss issue)

Well I'm finally setting up an appointment to hear the 1056 this weekend (and the Arcam 200) ... can't wait. Will probable add a used 2 channel Rotel for my fronts.

However, I'm a little concerned because I have been reading a lot about the fact that Rotel products, specifically the receivers, tend to hiss at low volume levels. Most of these reports have been over at the AVS forum. I'm not sure if they are just Rotel bashing (There seems to be a real dennon preference at AVS - the 3805).

Anyhow, I just want to hear opinions from people who actually own the products. Have any of you experienced hissing. Is there a known hiss problem, and if so, has it been addressed and fixed in newly manufactured units?

Thanks

Craig
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

From what I understand, other than a few select people, any hiss issue was in early production units and has since been corrected. As long as you get a new unit, ordered from Rotel through your dealer, there should be practically no chance of having any hiss issues.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Spurt
      • Apr 2004

I'm having the Hiss problem, but after al the "bashing" on us "few selected people" in this forum I'm starting too think that my hearing is better than normal Sorry I have just seen this "it is only in the early models" solution to often in this forum. And I have emailed with Rotel and this hiss is normal.
      But I will also say that I have kept the 1056 because of the SOUND and DESIGN, and the hiss you can remove by pressing on the off button
      Or maybe another main filter can help (having a main filter already) as they are talking about in another thread about hiss in the 1098 model.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I recently purchased a series 1.xx RSX-1055, running thru an RMB-1075 and it is quiet. 2 channel analog in, or any of the various processing modes are all whisper quiet. I am sure if I went and put an ear to one of my speakers I may detect something, butt, why............

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I think some people may still be experiencing problems due to less than clean power too, see my post here.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Bob Knarly
            • Mar 2004

Well Rotel has wore me down so.....Just make sure its hooked to 5 speakers,put it in 2ch mode,turn volume down(not all the way)go listen to surrounds or center.If it don't hiss buy it,its the only one that don't.

Comment

• stantheman2
              • Apr 2004

I have had a 1056 for about a month and a half. I run B&W 600 Series 2 speakers, which are known to output a significant amount of high-frequency information. When watching movies, I have the volume set at 64 or 65, which provides very loud sonic peaks in my listening room when the movie soundtrack has the peaks. With my unit, there is no audible hiss. If I run the volume to 80 with no input signal, I can hear a slight hiss if I put my ear right over a tweeter. When I pull back about four inches, the hiss is inaudible to me. However, there is NO WAY I could listen to anything with the volume much above 65, let alone at 80 - it would be much too loud. I checked out another 1056 at my dealer - listening through B&W 600 Series 3s, the situation was the same - no audible hiss at any listening level I would care to use.

There are several posters that seem to be on almost religious crusade to convince the world that ALL Rotels have very loud hissing. One even offered to pay anyone $100 if anyone can show him a Rotel 1056, 1067, or 1068 that doesn't have what he considers to be excessive hiss (guaranteed to be a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Here's a simple solution - go to your dealer and listen. If you hear a hiss that is excessive to you, point it out to the dealer, and if they can't correct it, simply don't buy that unit. You could even insist they unbox a 1056 and hook it up in their store, and only buy it if you don't hear any excessive hiss.

Comment

• shadow
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stantheman2
                I have had a 1056 for about a month and a half. I run B&W 600 Series 2 speakers, which are known to output a significant amount of high-frequency information. When watching movies, I have the volume set at 64 or 65, which provides very loud sonic peaks in my listening room when the movie soundtrack has the peaks. With my unit, there is no audible hiss. If I run the volume to 80 with no input signal, I can hear a slight hiss if I put my ear right over a tweeter. When I pull back about four inches, the hiss is inaudible to me. However, there is NO WAY I could listen to anything with the volume much above 65, let alone at 80 - it would be much too loud. I checked out another 1056 at my dealer - listening through B&W 600 Series 3s, the situation was the same - no audible hiss at any listening level I would care to use.

There are several posters that seem to be on almost religious crusade to convince the world that ALL Rotels have very loud hissing. One even offered to pay anyone $100 if anyone can show him a Rotel 1056, 1067, or 1068 that doesn't have what he considers to be excessive hiss (guaranteed to be a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Here's a simple solution - go to your dealer and listen. If you hear a hiss that is excessive to you, point it out to the dealer, and if they can't correct it, simply don't buy that unit. You could even insist they unbox a 1056 and hook it up in their store, and only buy it if you don't hear any excessive hiss.
                I agree totally with this post and it exactly reflects my experience with Martin Logan speakers. At a setting of 75, there is NO hiss. I never play music or movies that loud in my room, but i tried it at this level with no source and got no hiss other than in the tweeter of my Cinema center which was only barely audible within six inches of the speaker. This is the most overhyped issue on this forum pushed by one guy who has had a problem. Keep in mind that the members of this forum are very picky about sound quality and would not tolerate any component with the noise problems one poster has alleged. The fact that only one or two people have complained about noise gives you a good indication that hiss is not a real issue for the vast majority of users of this fine receiver. Any reputable dealer will give you a full refund period to try it out in your system and see if it has any noise problems.

Comment

• cmr15
                  • Jun 2004

Thanks for the info everyone,

I'm hopefully getting an appointment this weekend to hear the 1056 and will, of course, listen for hiss. I also like the idea of having the store owner open the box and set up the unit that I may be buying to evaluate for hiss.

Craig

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

I know it's the principle, but really, if it's not audible beyond a couple of inches, what's the problem? Once the music is playing, unless you have superhuman ears, the whole thing is moot.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                      • Mar 2004

Yep,the whole thing would be mute,that would be sweet.I really do not understand why my typing is flawed but I'll try one more time.DO NOT turn your volume up to 75 to hear the hiss,turn it DOWN TO 5,then listen.This hiss is NOT affected by volume.I will continue to reply to the hiss? when ask,honestly and truthfully.I'm sorry if some people don't like or want or just can't hear the truth but I'll back up ANY of my statements anywhere anytime.If you are anywhere near me your more than welcome to a demo,I'll even be more than happy to meet anyone at a dealer within 75 miles of me and prove every word I have said is valid.

Comment

• shadow
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Bob Knarly
                        Yep,the whole thing would be mute,that would be sweet.I really do not understand why my typing is flawed but I'll try one more time.DO NOT turn your volume up to 75 to hear the hiss,turn it DOWN TO 5,then listen.This hiss is NOT affected by volume.I will continue to reply to the hiss? when ask,honestly and truthfully.I'm sorry if some people don't like or want or just can't hear the truth but I'll back up ANY of my statements anywhere anytime.If you are anywhere near me your more than welcome to a demo,I'll even be more than happy to meet anyone at a dealer within 75 miles of me and prove every word I have said is valid.
                        Turned it down to 5 (heaven knows why since there is no appreciable volume), same result as at 75: no hiss. The minor hiss at the center is no louder than at 5. Your 'truth" apparently only applies to your 1056. What speakers and associated components are you using?

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                          • Mar 2004

The question was about hiss,I answered this question very honestly,from much experience.I could write a book about my Rotel experience(a tragic comedy).I own the 1056(just in country),my 3rd one,sounds just like the first two,great 2ch other than slight hiss from my surrounds and center,when in two channel with surrounds and center set in menu to none.Since my dealers 1056,67,68 all do the same thing(the dealer and I tested his) on b&w spealers and Rotel components,there was NO doubt they hiss.
                          I could have returned it for a full refund but I really like the Rotel sound,that don't mean I have to like the hiss,I can tollerate it.My offer stands,listen to mine anytime or meet me at your/my dealer and hear it on your favorite components.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

I'm wondering if there's a problem with clean electricity in your area Bob, It's the only thing I can think of especially considering you and your dealer are hearing it as well at his shop. It seems some Rotel gear can be finicky with bad power and I wonder if this is the problem? Either that or the rest of us are all deaf from listeing to our gear to loud and just can't hear the hiss anymore :lol: Have you considered contacting a good electrician? I would think one would come out and at least have a quick look to see if there was any problems and give you an estimate for little or no money...?

That's my only suggestion as there are so many other people, very happy and with no hiss problems... (myself included)

Jason
                            Jason

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                              • Mar 2004

Jason,I live in 7 year old home and have had a large variety of avrs and prepro amp combos,never any problems even with large power amps.I really have scaled back compared to most of the set ups I've had.My dealer is in another state(about 45 miles)so there is not much chance of an electrical problem.I also am a contractor and an electrician.I have also demo'd in Ohio and Indy with the same results.I do appreciate your attempt at constructive suggestions,with a little humor,thanks.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Well I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help I'm all out of ideas... Hopefully somehow you'll find a solution that will allow you to enjoy your Rotel gear as much as so many other people are.

If anybody else has some constructive ideas I, and I'm sure Bob, would love to hear them.

Jason
                                Jason

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                  • Jun 2004

Some news concerning my 1098 and the hissing (hopefully some constructive ideas):

Well, all of us should keep in mind that adjustments within the MENU => SURR. LEVEL also affects the level of hiss in a certain way. Let me explain:

Maybe some of you remember that I had the impression of having a 1098 that hisses too much - or let´s say much more than newer units (my 1098 is a December 2003 model which initially came without a shielding on the DSP board). Some days ago, I stated that with MAX volume the hissing was too loud to be "normal" as my former surround amps did not do that to such an extent. What has been unmentioned so far was the fact that I had set all my speakers in the MENU => SURR. LEVEL to +1 dB during testing. Yesterday, I wanted to find out whether this menu item also affects hissing. And it does! I reduced all speaker levels from +1 dB to -9 dB and so did the hissing at MAX volume: It was lowered to a level that I would consider to be audibly loud but no longer to be extremely loud. Consequenty, also at lower volumes the hissing is reduced now.

Nevertheless, it is clear to me why the hissing is audibly reduced now. By reducing the speaker levels from +1 dB to -9 dB simultaneously the maximum available volume should have been reduced by 10 dB (which is a lot, isn´t it?) => i.e. having adjusted the speaker levels within the menu, the MAX volume I could reach now should be 10dB lower than before (no, I won´t test it with my meter :B ), Thus, my results are not astonishing. What I want to say is the following: Whenever people state that their Rotel surround preamp/receiver hisses too much, all of us should keep in mind that our impressions concerning the hiss level is not only influenced by the room or the speaker´s efficiency, but also by the speaker level within the MENU => SURR. LEVEL.

To find out whether my "older" 1098 really hisses much more than "newer" units can be only done by a one by one comparison. I located a person in my vicinity who also owns a brand new 1098. He invited me to compare my 1098 to his unit inside his room using his loudspeakers and the same menu settings for both units of course. I think this is the only fair testbed.

Comment

• Spurt
                                    • Apr 2004

My new 1056 (v. 1.1.7) have the same "problem" with hiss as my old 1056 (v. 1.1.6), so ... I’m keeping the old one.
                                    I still think that the sound in stereo and surround is great, the design is super and the firmware support (update rate) is good And I would still buy it today even with this small hiss.

But in a small room you are almost always sitting close to a speaker if you have a surround setup.

This is my hiss definition at level 40, stereo bypass, no connection other than power and speakers.
                                    In 20 cm it bugs you.
                                    In 40 cm you can easy hear it.
                                    In 1 meter you can hear it.
                                    In 2 meter you can hardly hear it. But still you can hear the difference between mute and non-mute. (The ears relaxes)

I have a power filter for 220v
                                    Front speakers is large Audiovector M3
                                    Center speaker is large Jamo D8C
                                    Surround Speakers is small B&W speakers
                                    No sub
                                    Cables are Tara Labs

Comment

• malcky
                                      • Jun 2004

I had a trial period of a 1066 over a year ago and didnt take it because i didnt like the hiss i heard at the time and the 1066 didnt seem better than the processor i had at the time (and still have now, roksan caspian dsp).

so now the 1068 is around i will look into this one as well, however i am suprised that hissing issues are still going on for some people, who have confirmed its not faulty goods or dodgy power to the house so i surfed around and found something called "shorties" that www.russandrews.co.uk sells claiming to reduce noise within any un-used inputs.

now i must stress i have never used these so i cant tell if they work or not, just thought i would send the link and let you think about it yourselves because in my set up i only have and need 4 sources (cd,dvd,sky+,tv) so when i had the 1066 i remember saying "what a lot of wasted inputs/outputs". so who know mayby all the empty holes does increase the hissing.

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                        • Jun 2004

@ Spurt

The hissing of my 1098 preamp that I´ve been talking about all the time only appears at really high volumes. It starts at about 65 in my room and increases strongly step by step until MAX volume is reached. Furthermore, there is no extreme hissing when using stereo-bypass mode or the multi input even at MAX volume, but only if the DSP´s (i.e. the digital section) are working by using e.g. PLII Cinema, DTS Neo6 and so on.

The hissing which you describe is normal because you used the bypass mode (i.e. the digital section is bypassed). Even at volume 5 or so you will hear a slight hiss as it is a surround processor. Only if you mute your preamp, you won´t hear anything, that´s right.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                          • Mar 2004

Spurt,I could not have said it better myself.After all I been through I still prefer the Rotel sound and would buy it again given the same choices.The real problem I have with the hiss is I think in 2ch mode the center and surrounds should be muted,thus no hiss.I can live with the noise floor in active channels but hearing hissing from channels that should not even get a signal is an issue that should be addressed.
                                          Wolfen,your suggestion is worth a try for anyone that has not tried it.I did try that during my initial discovery of the hiss but it made almost no difference on my set up as far as hiss reduction in my surrounds/center in 2ch mode.thanks anyway.
                                          malcky,Scotland rocks! oh,and thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"