X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

RDV 1060 no SACD?

I have been seriously considering an upgrade. I currently have the Denon 800 and its probably the weekest link in my system considering i have cables worth more

I was looking for reviews and can across this one that said it does not play SACD?!

can anyone comment?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Vancover,

It's true. No current Rotel DVD player plays native SACD, which requires special tri-mode DVD/CD/SACD drives and licences from Sony... Even their new upcoming RDV-1092 does not seem to have SACD (despire earlier leaks from them that it may).

If you want a universal player try the Denon 3910.... But ask yourself - how may SACD do I have or am I likely to have... I know lots of people with none...

Geoff

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

True, for SACD, turn away from Rotel. Most other manufacturers have an SACD player, and if you want multichannel SACD the choice is reduced. Rotel is turning their back on classical music fans (SACD is primarily classical music).

Apparently, best choice is to buy a dedicated CD/SACD player, like from Sony, and a separate DVD player, the sound quality will apparently be much better for total price (I will know for sure within a week). Otherwise, you can upgrade sound quality with 3rd party mods on many universal players.

Comment

• Pieter
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
        ...SACD is primarily classical music...
        This is a trend that I have seen developing too. Maybe it was planned that way from the outset.

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

If you want a universal player, choose from this list, 87 DVD-A/SACD players from 39 companies (and growing). This list does not include CD/SACD players, from companies like Sony, Krell, Classe, T+A, etc.

As for the current classical nature of SACD releases, it has to do with the mass market for pop/rock/jazz/other not caring for high audio quality (it's about the music for many), so the few albums that were released in popular genres never became popular. Even in these forums, where people care about high quality, very few care about hi-rez, preferring high-end CD players (or DVD-A, virtually dead already). For classical fans, it's often about the sound, because the various performances of the same compositions can be quite similar, so recording technique and playback quality are of prime importance.

For multichannel music, many don't like to be "in the band", and prefer to have the band up-front only. Classical music multi-channel represents "hall acoustics", which has no meaning for popular studio recorded music, especially when each musician plays individually with headphones to hear the other musicians' recording.

Finally, why Rotel refuses to launch an SACD-compatible player is beyond my comprehension. Unlike some companies, it doesn't seem they have an economic interest in DVD-A. The technological hurdles can't be that great if so many other companies are doing it. Looks like British snobbery, but that is strange for a japano-american company. Maybe there is some executive management issue, where they are personally tied to the "DVD-A only" club.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

sorry i am a little comfused. Why have the 5 analog outputs on the back of the RDV 1060 if it doesnt play SACD multi channel?

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

5 channel DVD-A(udio)

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                SACD is primarily classical music
                I was thinking of getting a CD/SACD player to listen to blues/jazz

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

here is a link to a site which has a very good list of SACD tittles.. There are at least 10 tittles I would like to get which makes it worth me looking at SACD players when I get my next DVD/CD player.

I am very disapointed Rotel doesnt make one. I really had my eye on the RDV 1060.

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

I own a lot of SA-CD's (at least 15) at the moment, perhaps SA-CD is more available in Europe. For instance:

Pink floyd's dark side of the moon, a wonderfull 5.1 mix
                    Dire straits, brothers in Arms
                    frankie goes to hollywood, Rage hard (a SA-CD must have)
                    several dutch artists like blof, boudewijn de groot, de poema's

And no DVD-A discs, they are hard to get. And most of the time also available on SA-CD.

So my Denon 2900 plays all of them, and I like it a lot.

its the ony Denon in an all Rotel setup.
                    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

I just heard that Sony has abandoned the format of SACD, so there will be no more tittles released. Apparently sony will be releasing a Blue-Ray version of the SACD, and thats the new music format they will adopt and push. Apparently Rotel looked in the future and have made their choice to not include SACD based on something along those lines.

This is just what I heard, and could be wrong, however my source is reliable.

Comment

• jim777
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                        This is just what I heard, and could be wrong, however my source is reliable.
                        I've heard multiple times that this is a false rumour, that came up because SACD guys where waiting for a new & better workstation for producing their titles. During that time, no new SACD's where coming out..

Who's is right? Don't know

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

I've also heard it's false. The new work station story again. And really what would companies buy new, multi-thousand dollar work stations for a format that was being killed.....?

Myself I only own 1 SACD (Floyd's DSOTM) as my Denon 1600 only plays DVD-A's. I do won about 10-15 DVD-A's though from classical to jazz to classic rock etc
                          Jason

Comment

• newb
                            • Jan 2005

I was talking to a service rep from Philips last week he stated Sony had
                            dropped SACD, I am hoping it's not true but he was quite adament :x .

Thanks for the heads up on the Frankie Goes to Hollywood title, and your right about DSOTM it's the only one I listen to in 5.1 8) .

Nine Inch Nails 'The Downward Spiral' is one of my favourites.
                            Ray Charles "Genius loves Company' would be a must have, although I personally only like the songs produced by Phil Ramone on this album.
                            Bob Dylan's 'Blood on the Tracks' is an absolute classic of course and is very revealing with the advantages of SACD when compared to CD version.

Comment

• Feisal K
                              • Aug 2005

along with the Floyds DSoTM I like

Roxy Music Avalon
                              Joe Satriani Strange Beautiful Music
                              Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (this is available on DVD-A as well)

Floyd's Wish You Were Here SACD was supposed to be in the works (and released September - 30th anniv of WYWH)

Comment

• chachi
                                • Mar 2003

Odd ... We've now got more DVD-A on the shelves (2 dozen or so) than SACDs (19 at last count) or HDCDs (maybe a dozen)
                                Links: My DVD Collection
                                Video: Sagem 56" HD RPTV, Oppo BD-83
                                Audio: Rotel RSP-1069, RDD-980, 2x RB-1070, RB-993
                                Spkrs: Wharfedale Pi-30s x2, Pi-Centre, Si-Fi Orbs x2, BK XLS-200 subs x2

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by chachi
                                  Odd ... We've now got more DVD-A on the shelves (2 dozen or so) than SACDs (19 at last count) or HDCDs (maybe a dozen)

only 19? there are hundreds of SACD tittles available.

Comment

• chachi
                                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                    only 19? there are hundreds of SACD tittles available.
                                    Most of my collection that would be available on SACD is vinyl (showing my age I suppose) and the new stuff I've been buying (Miles Davis, Diana Krall, and Queen most recently) was all available on DVD-A
                                    Links: My DVD Collection
                                    Video: Sagem 56" HD RPTV, Oppo BD-83
                                    Audio: Rotel RSP-1069, RDD-980, 2x RB-1070, RB-993
                                    Spkrs: Wharfedale Pi-30s x2, Pi-Centre, Si-Fi Orbs x2, BK XLS-200 subs x2

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

FYI - Here's a good link on HTG "reviewed" DVD-A's and SACD's

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"