How is the RDV-1060 vs RCD-1072 for music playback?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJS72
    • Nov 2004

How is the RDV-1060 vs RCD-1072 for music playback?

Hi all,

I'm a first-time poster here at Club Rotel. I feel like a just walked into a cult...ya'll don't wear dark hooded robes do you?
    I just realized that I forgot to ask if you have to actually currently own Rotel gear to be an official member....oh well. I'm going to be buying my first Rotel gear probably Friday or Saturday and I thought I'd look to the wise ones here for some advice.
    I'm picking up the 1067 A/V Reciever. What I'm really kicking around is whether I should get the RDV-1060 DVD player to use for both DVD's and CD playback, or if I should get a lesser DVD player and get the RCD-1072 stand-alone CD player.

My dealer has a RSX-1067 used (but in mint condition - with full warranty) available. My options are to get the RSX-1067 and RDV-1060 all brand new in the box.
    OR
    I can ge the used RSX-1067 with a brand new RDV-1050 AND new RCD-1072 CD player....for the same price.

All things being equal, I usually prefer to get my gear new - you just never know if somebody had a 14-year-old son that would blast Brittany Spears at ungodly levels when mom and dad weren't home. But this used unit does appear to be in great shape.

Will there be a really big difference in the sound quality of the 1060 vs the 1072? Also, if I got the 1072, the DVD player I'd drop down to would be the 1050 - is that a significant step down from the 1060?

Any help would be appreciated. It's good to be in a cult I guess....but where's my robe? 8)

RJ
  • Don
    • Feb 2003

My suggestion is get the rdv-1050 and rcd-1072.
    Another option is get the rcd-1072 and for the same amount you can get the Denon dvd-2910 (both plays dvd-a, sacd and dvd).
    Hope this helps.

Don

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Rotel's DVD players including the 1060 are supposed to be some of the better mid-priced DVD players for CD playback, however a dedicated CD player (1072) will have better CD playback.

I agree with Don's suggestion, for CD playback get the 1072 and then a Denon 2910 for DVD's. The Denon's have way more features, including both SACD/DVD-A, upsampled video, HDMI etc. Even the 1910 isn't a bad machine.

Another option might be one of the Denon's matched with a Benchmark DAC1 and then add the 1072 later for even better CD playback or add the Benchmark later instead...?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Taito
        • Sep 2004

Hi RJ, A few months back I did an A-B comparison between the RDV1060 and the RCD1072. At the time I did not need a new DVD player (although DVD-A would have ben nice). The difference between the two on CD playback was not staggering, but for me, was significant enought for me to walk away with the 1072 and be happy that the increase in performance on the 1072 over the 1060 out-weighed the features that I was missing out on.

Hope this helps, Ben

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
          • May 2004

RJ!
          How did you get in here without your dark hooded robe?? Actually, this is not a cult because, as you'll notice, no brainwashing! (We don't always agree). Welcome.
          I have to agree with everyone about the RCD 1072. However, I cannot agree with Don or Jason about the DVD player. :a>
          I have found that there is just too much of a compromise in the sound of all decks which play both SACD and DVD-A, (like the Denon). As soon as you throw SACD into a DVD player things go wrong. I attempted to start a thread on this issue but it did not go far. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=9778
          I'd be interested to find out if Don or Jason actually did some listening to DVD-A on the Rotel and then DVD-A on the Denon. No comparison in my book, Rotel wins easily. If all you want is a DVD video player I'd look at the Pioneer Decks, but if you want to step into the world of high resolution sound... I'd get the RCD 1072 and an RDV. If you want SACD, you can add it later. (The stand alone SACD player I want, plays only 2 channel, so I will not have a problem with the fact that there is only one set of 5.1 inputs on my pre/pro.)

Good luck with your decision making (I'm really happy with my RCD and my RDV units.) :T

Cracking!

Comment

• RJS72
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for all the responses guys! After your help and info...and a bit of listening at the dealer, I ended up going with the 1072 and a 1050 DVD player, instead of the 1060 to do both. I did this for 2 main reasons. 1 - the 1072 just plain sounded better during 2 channel analog than the 1060 dvd player. 2 - according to Rotel's website the 1050 has a better video section than the 1060. I know the 1060 is the higher-end model (although I'm not sure which is newer), but the site list a 12-bit 54MHz video DAC on the 1060, but the 1050 uses a 12-bit 108MHz DAC. Pretty big difference, I thought.

Anyways, cheers....and thanks for the advice!

RJ

Comment

• Taito
              • Sep 2004

Congratulations RJ, the 1072 is a beaut piece of gear.

-Ben

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Rj,

Now would you like to know where to buy those black robes?

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"