X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Classe SSP-800 & HDMI 2.0?

Anybody have any insight to what plans Classe have in regards to supporting HDMI 2.0 on the SSP-800?
    It seems like some manufacturers are able to support it via firmware and others require new hardware.

I do not see a need for a new SSP unit as there is not much else to add to a new model - hence my hope that they will support the upgrade.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I recently (June) asked Classé the same question, here is an extract from their reply:

We have no plans for upgrading the SSP-800 with 4K capability nor will the next generation of SSP support it. There is no HDMI hardware available, there is a lack of standardization (HDMI 2.0 spec not yet released) and no actual reason to switch 4K video any time soon.
    I was a little disheartened, but reading on:

When native 4K sources become available, you will find that they will be equipped with dual HDMI outputs for compatibility with legacy AVRs. In other words, in the future, you will connect your native 4K video source directly to your 4K video display and run the audio separately through your AVR or SSP.
    Whether this position has since changed, I don't know.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

No change but when HDMI 2.0 is (eventually) adopted it will likely stem from the attrition of parts rather than the need to support the technology of the day.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

It would be nice to include Room Perfect from Lyngdorf
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Wozza1

There is reason to have 4k. My HERO3+ Black Edition is 4k as too are my video games from my PC.

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

4k as a format or blu-ray in a disc format to support it is still yet to be defined. so yeah makers like classe who are street smart about these things. will not jump in advance to support something that doesnt as yet exist. if and when a blu-ray format is released that supports 4K and disc players wiht 4k then expect some makers to incorporate 4k pass through. but yeah also expect plenty of makers to not bother and suggest to you to use the dual outs from your player to pass 4k straight to display via hdmi 2.0 and hdaudio back to your audio processor via legacy hdmi

4k with greater in res than imax and you will therefore need a greater than imax setup to fully enjoy it...making it slightly ridiculous for any home setup to justice. ie at typical seating distances 3m or so from screen you would need 3-4.5m high screens ie seating distances of 1-1.5x screen hights to resolve .... people will still get no doubt even if dont get the full benefit. but i dont expect a huge rush for getting this into the home
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
              4k with greater in res than imax and you will therefore need a greater than imax setup to fully enjoy it...making it slightly ridiculous for any home setup to justice. ie at typical seating distances 3m or so from screen you would need 3-4.5m high screens ie seating distances of 1-1.5x screen hights to resolve .
              Well, the 60" 4K TV's I've seen in stores are extremely impressive, noticeably better picture than the 1K ones. So, I'm not sure about needing a 5 meter screen to do 4K justice, I'd be quite happy with a 60" one.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                Well, the 60" 4K TV's I've seen in stores are extremely impressive, noticeably better picture than the 1K ones. So, I'm not sure about needing a 5 meter screen to do 4K justice, I'd be quite happy with a 60" one.
                I think you completely miss my point. 4k is higher res that even imax. and indeed to full resolve you will need a setup in scale bigger than imax to appreciate. and yes that means sitting at 1-1.5x screen distances to fully resolve. does that mean there wont be some benefit at distances further, sure, and I even went to pain to suggest that in my post incase you missed it ( I notice you selectively quoted my post)

as a note how many people even sit at appropriate distance to even fully resolve a 1k screen ? very rare ! I for one have gone to some pains with my projector setup to fully resolve 1080p and also for full imersion as per thx spec. try doing that with 4K in the home. its damn near impossible at any sensible distance or screen size.

if wanting to read further I would suggest reading the article below from an industry rag...the truth about 2K, 4K and the future of pixels....

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                  ( I notice you selectively quoted my post)
                  I "selectively quoted" your second paragraph, as the first one was talking about Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the link. I'll be needing a bigger living room then.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"