X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garrison
    • Oct 2010

assistance on electronic filter for new SSP-800 HDMI 1.4

I just purchase the new Classe CA-5300 and SSP-800 with HDMI 1.4 capability from Digital Ear in California. It is supposed to ship this week. I currently own a CA-5100 and am replacing my existing processor and 2 channel amp with the new items I just purchased. I'm going to run the CA-5300 to my front 3 and 2 side speakers. I then plan on Bi-wiring my rear two speakers with my existing CA-5100. I'm running B&W 803D front left and right, HTM1D Center, and 4 805's on the side and rear. I have the new 82" 3D Mitsubishi TV, 3D Blu Ray player, 15" servo sub, apple TV, and universal remote system with I-pod connection. All of this has just been built in the past few months.

my question...I am concerned about my surge protector/filter. I have an older Monster HTS5000 and feel it's out of date and needs to be upgraded. I was told that the monster filter doesn't allow the proper power during large bass sequences. That a processors such as the classe draws more power during these times and the monster doesn't allow the flow of power needed for optimal bass to be processed. I was wondering what filter/surge protector is recommend to go along with the new classe product I just purchased? what surge protection are any of you using?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice :T
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I plug my amplifiers directly into the wall sockets as most of the surge protectors will not handle that much draw effectively. I also had two separate dedicated 20 amp circuits brought to the wall behind my system. I plug the amps into those circuits.

Everything else I plug into a power conditioner. I have a Richard Gray in my one system and a Furman Reference in my other system.

I am looking into having a whole house surge protector installed into both of our homes.

Comment

• garrison
      • Oct 2010

WOW that seem like a big risk plugging them directly into the wall socket. A good frien just had his house hit by lightning last week and it fried everything... Not sure I'm willing to take that risk. Would be interested in finding our what classe recommends as a conditioner/protector for their systems

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by garrison
        WOW that seem like a big risk plugging them directly into the wall socket. A good frien just had his house hit by lightning last week and it fried everything... Not sure I'm willing to take that risk. Would be interested in finding our what classe recommends as a conditioner/protector for their systems
        As a rule Classe' does not recommend the use of line conditioners/surge protectors for their amplifiers because most are inadequate and those that are are extremely large and expensive. Some conditioning and protection is already built into the amplifier. If you can your best bet is to get a whole house surge suppressor. Dedicated circuits are useful too if you can manage to include them.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• garrison
          • Oct 2010

thanks for the info!

Comment

• garrison
            • Oct 2010

your thoughts on plugging the processor into a conditioner?

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

I use Furman Pro II 20amp, works great :T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• westom
                • Oct 2010

WOW that seem like a big risk plugging them directly into the wall socket. A good frien just had his house hit by lightning last week and it fried everything... Would be interested in finding our what classe recommends as a conditioner/protector for their systems
                Start by reading manufacturer spec numbers. Many power conditioners are nothing more than power strip protectors in a fancy box and selling for much more money.

A power strip protector. A $3 power strip with some ten cent protector parts. Then gets hyped to the naive to sell for $40 or $150. But again, read its specs. How do that power strip's hundreds of joules stop a surge that is hundreds of thousands of joules? It doesn't. But it also knows a majority will ignore numbers. And recommend that protector.

Surges seek earth ground. A current source that increases voltage, as necessary, so that the current (ie 20,000 amps) will conduct everywhere in that path from cloud to earth. Nothing stops a surge. Nothing - no matter how many post that scam. Surge protection is similar to what Ben Franklin demonstrated in 1752. Either energy dissipates harmlessly in earth and outside the building. Or that energy is inside hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Once that energy is inside, nothing (see that word) nothing averts the hunt.

For over 100 years, any building that has effective protection uses the well proven solution. Where do hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate? Any solution that does not answer that question is probably a scam.

One 'whole house' protector connected short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to single point earth ground means energy need not enter to find earth via appliances. No protector does protection. An effective protector makes a short connection to single point ground. Then energy is not inside hunting destructively. What makes one 'whole house' protector even better? Upgrade earthing. Make that short connection shorter. Even sharp wire bends subvert protection. More facts that are never discussed when popular urban myths promote ‘magic box’ and high profit plug-in solutions.

Line conditioners are often better called snake oil. Anything those conditioners might do is already inside electronic power supplies. All appliances contain superior protection. Your concern is a rare surge (typically once every seven years) that might overwhelm that protection. Therefore every wire in every incoming cable makes a less than ten foot connection to earth. Connected directly (ie cable TV, satellite dish) or connect via a 'whole house' protector (telephone, AC electric). Again, no protector does protection. Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate.

The effective solution always makes a short connection to single point ground. As it was done over 100 years ago to have direct lightning strikes and no damage. No earth ground (ie plug-in protectors / line conditioners) means no effective protection. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Where is a spec number that claims to make hundreds of thousands of joules just magically disappear?

Comment

• garrison
                  • Oct 2010

well yesterday I went with a shunyata power conditioner along with pyton 1.80M power cable.....

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by westom
                    Start by reading manufacturer spec numbers. Many power conditioners are nothing more than power strip protectors in a fancy box and selling for much more money.

The effective solution always makes a short connection to single point ground. As it was done over 100 years ago to have direct lightning strikes and no damage. No earth ground (ie plug-in protectors / line conditioners) means no effective protection. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Where is a spec number that claims to make hundreds of thousands of joules just magically disappear?
                    Yes there is a great article in CEPro and Consumer Retailer mag address to CE retailer and I quote "Power conditioning how to make more money"
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

Members please read:

Comment

• garrison
                        • Oct 2010

every house's wall sockets fluctuate on the amount of power that is being supplied. there are numerous factors on how much this fluctuation is depending on where you live and depending on what devices you are running in you home. A conditioner allows constant regulated steady flow of power. This steady flow allows optimal performance on you amplifiers. some conditioners have a limiter built into them that only allows a certain amount of amps to flow at any time. These conditioners are not recommended with larger amps because during large bass sequences an amp pulls more power. Some conditioners store extra power for these circumstances and then rebuild the supply for the next occurrence. Then you have other conditioners that are not limiting but just regulate smooth power flow but your only going to get the proper amount of amps your outlet allows. However, along with the shunyata I got a upgraded power cable which also assists in allowing optimal surge needed at these times.My local store has 7 CA-600 monoblocks hooked up to this conditioner. If they are doing it and trust it, I thought I should as well.

My thought is the amount of money we are spending on these amps... why not try to optimize everything possible to get the absolute best out of the system that we can. An additional 3K is worth it to me.......

Comment

• Srrndhound
                          • Sep 2008

every house's wall sockets fluctuate on the amount of power that is being supplied. there are numerous factors on how much this fluctuation is depending on where you live and depending on what devices you are running in your home.
                          True.
                          A conditioner allows constant regulated steady flow of power.
                          Very few conditioners regulate the voltage. Here is an example that does so: PS Audio Power Plant Premier. But this is the exception, as even the other PS Audio units like the AV Power Center 5000 do not regulate. In most cases the "conditioning" is limited to noise filters and surge protection, just as is the case with Shuntayas, and that’s perfectly fine. In fact this is far more important to component protection and sound quality than feeding it with any particular voltage or a regulated voltage.

My local store has 7 CA-600 monoblocks hooked up to this conditioner. If they are doing it and trust it, I thought I should as well.
                          You are free to make that choice, but that a dealer uses the products they sell is hardly a logical basis upon which to decide to buy it.

BTW, who makes the CA-600?

Comment

• westom
                            • Oct 2010

every house's wall sockets fluctuate on the amount of power that is being supplied. there are numerous factors on how much this fluctuation is depending on where you live and depending on what devices you are running in you home. A conditioner allows constant regulated steady flow of power.
                            A long paragraph with only subjective claims. Subjective - the first indication of junk science and urban myths

First, AC mains vary so little that incandescent bulb intensity does not vary. If your bulbs are changing intensity (a tiny voltage variation), then get an electrician ASAP to correct what might also be a human safety threat. Curing such problems with a line conditioner is irresponsible.

Second, anything done by a power conditioner is already done better inside electronics. Even inside tiny little 'wall wart' supplies. Incandescent bulbs can dim to 50% intensity. And that is ideal power to every electronic device. Maintaining rock steady internal voltage is one job of every power supply. What does the power conditioner do? Solve problems that do not exist. Subjective 'fears' get the most naive (those who do not know the numbers) to believe hearsay and myths.

Third, why must light bulb intensity not vary? Because motorized appliances can be harmed when voltage change exceeds 5% - another number. If AC mains vary more than 5%, then the refrigerator, washer, furnace and other 'at greater risk' appliances need power conditioners.

Ideal power to all electronic appliances is even when incandescent bulbs dim even to 50% intensity. A hard fact that anyone can observe even with their eyes. How often does that happen in your home? It if does, you do not need a power conditioner. You need an electrician. ASAP.

Srrndhound also posted valid facts. You need not take his word for it. Same facts are also found in manufacturer spec numbers. Where is this massive voltage regulation defined in conditioner spec numbers? A difference between junk science and reality. Reality means hard numbers; not subjective claims. Many conditioners do nothing to maintain voltage. May contain the same circuit found in power strip protectors. Are recommended subjectively sometimes because its case looks expensive. Subjective reasoning (also called junk science) too often recommends power conditioners.

Promoting myths is very profitable. So many will recommend without quoted manufacturer spec numbers. Junk science.

Comment

• rogerdn
                              • Aug 2008

I added a UBERBuss recently to my system, big improvement esp reducing digital harshness

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"