X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wxmanunr
    • Dec 2008

Slightly OT:DLNA Client to Feed SSP-800

Ok, this may be a dumb question. And, it is slightly off topic. But, I want to add a DLNA client to my system that will feed my Classe SSP-800 via HDMI with no sample rate conversion or other messing around with the signal. I'd like to primarily feed CD-sourced FLACs (to get rid of clutter and put in storage) and then start getting high resolution FLACs (or AIFFs) of the orchestral variety.

I can't seem to find a universal hardware client that will do this. My PS3 does goofy stuff to it. My Oppo BDP-83 doesn't support it. Amazon Fire TV doesn't go above 48kHz, if you believe it works with FLAC. Right now, Plex Media Server is running on my Linux box and it converts FLACs to LPCM. Not sure if it does any sample rate conversion, but at least I can sample high resolution files via this method. I want a client that requires no conversion when the file is served by Plex via FLAC with the client converting to the original source rate.

Yes, I know about the CP-800 and it would be a great solution if I wasn't into home theater.

Am I dreaming? Or, does it really matter how high resolution audio is converted, as long as it converted to the same sample rate or higher?

wxmanunr
  • Thumper
    • Apr 2009

Not sure if this applies but I use a fanless Intel NUC running JRiver. It could be running Foobar or something similar and get the same results. I specify in Jriver's DSP Studio to pass the input unchanged to the output for any sample rate 96khz or less and convert anything higher to 96khz. My AVR has a max input of 96/24

JRiver converts the flac files to LPCM which is lossless.

Not having used Plex i have no idea as to how or if it does sample rate conversions.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I was on the same quest a while back, and ended up with a Mac Mini attached via HDMI to the SSP800. I use Audirvana Plus to up sample to 96/24, as I think it sounds best. Most of my music is FLAC coded. I couldn't find a decent DLNA player solution. An advantage of a Mac Mini, is you can do other things with it too, like watch movies, etc.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Thumper
        Not sure if this applies but I use a fanless Intel NUC running JRiver. It could be running Foobar or something similar and get the same results. I specify in Jriver's DSP Studio to pass the input unchanged to the output for any sample rate 96khz or less and convert anything higher to 96khz. My AVR has a max input of 96/24

JRiver converts the flac files to LPCM which is lossless.

Not having used Plex i have no idea as to how or if it does sample rate conversions.
        I have exactly the same thing excep feeding a CP800 via USB. But it does work via HDMI into my Onkyo too so I cant see why this wouldnt be your best solution.
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• wxmanunr
          • Dec 2008

Thumper and TomScrut, sounds very promising. What do you use for a remote?

Plex will transcode or not transcode based on the client profile. Thus, it can send flac or lpcm.

wxmanunr

Comment

• wxmanunr
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TomScrut
            I have exactly the same thing excep feeding a CP800 via USB. But it does work via HDMI into my Onkyo too so I cant see why this wouldnt be your best solution.
            And a very flexible one, too. JRiver seems well regarded. I think I can put together a NUC with RAM/mSATA for about $500, including Win7. But, it looks like JRiver has a beta Linux solution out there. Even better, possibly.

wxmanunr

Comment

• Thumper
              • Apr 2009

I haven't used the Linux version. Looking at the outstanding issues with the Linux version it looks more alpha than beta If you're going Linux just make sure that all drivers you need are available. If you plan to ever use usb to drive something (I use USB for two outboard DACS, both need drivers that didn't come with Windows) then it can be an issue.

On another note you really don't need a high end NUC if you are audio only. And most NUCs have a fan, a high speed annoying one. In my case i switched the case to one from Logic Supply that made it fanless. Silence, finally.

Comment

• wxmanunr
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Thumper
                I haven't used the Linux version. Looking at the outstanding issues with the Linux version it looks more alpha than beta If you're going Linux just make sure that all drivers you need are available. If you plan to ever use usb to drive something (I use USB for two outboard DACS, both need drivers that didn't come with Windows) then it can be an issue.

On another note you really don't need a high end NUC if you are audio only. And most NUCs have a fan, a high speed annoying one. In my case i switched the case to one from Logic Supply that made it fanless. Silence, finally.
                Good advice, thanks!

wxmanunr

Comment

• TomScrut
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Nov 2013

I think the JR NUC is incapable of streaming, check the CP800 streaming thread I think someone mentions it on there
                  Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• wxmanunr
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TomScrut
                    I think the JR NUC is incapable of streaming, check the CP800 streaming thread I think someone mentions it on there
                    I would be using it to output the LPCM via HDMI to my SSP-800. JRiver (or XMBC, etc.) would do the lossless decoding and then send the 24/192 (or, whatever) signal to my SSP-800 for listening. Maybe I'm missing something, though?

wxmanunr

Comment

• TomScrut
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Nov 2013

As in if I you were using a HDD in the NUC or connected via USB then it would work. But if you are using a NAS as your source then it won't work through uPNP or DLNA

Comment

• wxmanunr
                        • Dec 2008

I did some experimentation tonight. I downloaded xbmcbuntu and put it an old laptop with an HDMI output. I forgot I had the laptop. I used BubbleUPNP client on Android to search files and play them to the XBMC renderer. Except for figuring out what audio output to choose, it was a piece of cake. All my MP3s, FLAC (low and high resolution) played great to my SSP-800. The look and feel of the XBMC GUI (if you turn the TV on -- but don't have to) could use some adjusting, or I didn't know how to tweak it.

The only negative thing I could see was that it converted everything to 24/192. Not sure if that would be audible, but I'm going to have to research the ability of sending non-upsampled signals to the SSP-800. Or, does it really matter?

wxmanunr

Comment

• TomScrut
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Nov 2013

I think it will depend on the HDMI driver for XBMC

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"