X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMB
    • Dec 2006

Issues with setting up SSP-600/CA5100/B&W

I recently moved and have been resetting my HT in my new apartment, and have come across some issues.

Here's the current setup:

SSP-600
    CA-5100
    B&W 803D fronts
    HTM2 center
    805s for surrounds
    Oppo BDP-83 (via coaxial to SSP-600)(via hdmi to Pioneer Pro-FHD1) - just received in the mail yesterday.

I have balanced cables connecting the SSP-600 and CA5100

I've used the calibration mic and have set all 5 speakers to "large." The room isn't very large (roughly 15x15) so I've decided not to use my JL-F113 sub and am keeping it in storage.

Here are my main issues:

1. The center speaker is not performing lower than the other fronts. When people are speaking during a movie, it's difficult to hear what they are saying because the volume is lower. Turning up the volume makes the front left and right speakers too loud. Should I just boost the center channel output by a few dbs in the SSP-600 or is there some other option I should choose? I can't find my SSP-600 manual and there isn't one available for download on the Classe site anymore.

2. I've never updated the firmware on the SSP-600 since I purchased it in January 2007. What is the best way for me to do this?

3. I would also appreciate if someone could point me to a link that lists the optimal settings on the SSP-600 when considering my current setup. I'm not sure about what settings I choose on the 600.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-SMB
  • wildtangent
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by SMB
    I recently moved and have been resetting my HT in my new apartment, and have come across some issues.

Here's the current setup:

SSP-600
    CA-5100
    B&W 803D fronts
    HTM2 center
    805s for surrounds
    Oppo BDP-83 (via coaxial to SSP-600)(via hdmi to Pioneer Pro-FHD1) - just received in the mail yesterday.

I have balanced cables connecting the SSP-600 and CA5100

I've used the calibration mic and have set all 5 speakers to "large." The room isn't very large (roughly 15x15) so I've decided not to use my JL-F113 sub and am keeping it in storage.

Here are my main issues:

1. The center speaker is not performing lower than the other fronts. When people are speaking during a movie, it's difficult to hear what they are saying because the volume is lower. Turning up the volume makes the front left and right speakers too loud. Should I just boost the center channel output by a few dbs in the SSP-600 or is there some other option I should choose? I can't find my SSP-600 manual and there isn't one available for download on the Classe site anymore.

2. I've never updated the firmware on the SSP-600 since I purchased it in January 2007. What is the best way for me to do this?

3. I would also appreciate if someone could point me to a link that lists the optimal settings on the SSP-600 when considering my current setup. I'm not sure about what settings I choose on the 600.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-SMB
    Let's begin...

Here's the link to the manual.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

to answer your first question. Yes, just bump the center channel up a bit. I do the same thing with a similar set up to yours.

What do you mean by "optimal settings". Use the mic, bump up the center. Toggle between THX on and off to decide what sounds better to you..thats it.

Comment

• SMB
        • Dec 2006

Re:

Thanks a bunch for the link to the manual! Also, by optimal settings I meant that when I set up "mode" I choose "multichannel" and it automatically goes to 3/2.1 and I'm not sure if this is the right setting since I don't have a sub hooked up. Just want to make sure I'm not hitting the incorrect mode. Most of it has to do with the fact that I'm not sure when to use THX and when not to.

Any thoughts on easiest way for me to update firmware?

Comment

• SMB
          • Dec 2006

...and thank you as well, Nolan.

I'm going to read the manual and see what I can improve. \

Comment

• SMB
            • Dec 2006

Opinions on cables

What are the most current opinions on speaker wire/cable and bi-wiring.

I realize this may be discussed ad-nauseum elsewhere, but I'd appreciate he opinion of the Classe forum members on the following questions given the setup I describe above in a relatively small room setup (20wx15d) with an eye towards a larger space in a year or so:

1. Is there performance difference in choosing speaker "cables" vs speaker "wire" or are they essentially the same thing?

2. Will bi-wiring make a difference or is does using jumper hooks produce the same effect?

3. Which speaker cables/wire would you recommend for this setup? A local dealer recommended Transperrent cables, but that I think that is way to expensive. I was considering the Premium III speaker cables from Better Cables bi-wired.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

SMB

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"