X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonas78
    • Aug 2005

Clipping issue?

Hi,

I'm running 5 Fluance speakers with a RSP-1098 and RMB-1075.

When I played the Eagles DVD (DTS) I get some major distortion between songs (when there is no music only talk between the songs) it sounds like a really bad radio reception. Now is this clipping? If so: Why? the 1075 should have more then enough power to run these speakers, or could it be that it is too much power?

Any ideas and suggestion is highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jonas78; 06 September 2005, 14:39 Tuesday. Reason: Spelling issues
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Assuming the talk is at a lower level than the music, not a chance it is clipping. Clipping is often a misunderstood beast.

An amplifier has two power rails (supplied by the power supply). The signal that a power amplifier receives is relatively small, up to 2V (would result in VERY LOUD for a standard transistor amplifier), usually (instantaneously) 0 to a few hundred millivolts for normal listening depending on what is coming though at the time. If the amps voltage rails are at +/- 70V (not unreasonable), then the signal will not clip until it is amplified to a level such that it is larger than the difference in potential between the rails (in this case 140V).

Also, it is not too much power. The power rating of the 1075 is 120W per channel, meaning that the 1075 can continuously output 120W RMS on each channel. This is a maximum rating, not what the amp puts out all of the time. Most of the time it wont even come close.

Are you sure that the 'distortion' (there are many types) you are hearing isn't on the disc? Is it only present between tracks or there all the time? Is the DVD player performing the D/A conversion, or are you using the DAC's in your 1098? Have you tried a different DVD player? Does it happen when you use analog bypass mode?

Sorry to load you with so many questions, but with enough information, I'm sure that people here can help you. Also, I'm curious about your choice of speakers. It seems that you have put a lot of money into you amplification relative to the speakers. I am wondering why you haven't tried to acheive more of a performance balance within your system (not trying to criticise).

Hope this is helpful, Ben

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Taito is right about first checking that this sound isn't on the disc. Try it out in your PC or on a friend's DVD.

Comment

• Jonas78
        • Aug 2005

Will try and answer your questions by tomorrow, regarding the speakers:
        It's not my speakers but the only ones that I can run at the moment.

Im using the 1098 DAC and the distortion is almost exclusive to the part between songs. Will do some more test this evening and get back with more info.

Thanks for the input

Comment

• Jonas78
          • Aug 2005

The noise only appears on the DTS track and always on the same places, tried another DTS disc and I could not hear anything wrong with it, so it must either be the disc or the dvd player.

Comment

• Taito
            • Sep 2004

If it's only on the DTS track and always in the same places, my guess is that it is on the disc. If the player/1098 handles other DTS tracks fine, I doubt the problem lies with your equipment.

I'd agree with bigburner that you should try the disc on someone else's DVD player to make sure that the problem is on the disc.

-Ben

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

The Eagles disc, while sounding great, is not the best produced disc out there. The PCM track has a lot better sound, but the surround track can't be beat. Let me know between what tracks you hear it and I'll test it out on my 1098.

I'll probably pop it in later anyway. I finally got power back on last night so I am really appreciating my Rotel stack right now...

Kevin D.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Speaking of The Eagles, I watched/heard "The Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne" around at a friend's place this evening . That is one f***ing good DVD. Joe Walsh is an absolute star. His singing is as good as his guitar, and he possesses that rare commodity for musicians - humour.

None of which helps you with your strange sound Jonas78.

Comment

• Jonas78
                  • Aug 2005

I think the first distortion comes in the beginning of track 8 (The Heart of the Matter) either that or track 7 or 9 =) I dont have the disc (Eagles: Hell Freezes Over) here now but I let you know by tomorrow. It's only in the part where they talk (before or after the songs) and not until track 7, 8 or 9

Ps. The DVD I have at the moment is a piece of crap, it's a Nova DVD player $50 CAD on futureshop. Dont ask me why, it's just the way it is at the moment :lol:
                  So Im currently more then happy to blame it on the DVD, but until I actually get my real player I wont know for sure

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"