X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redbears
    • Aug 2004

Power Amp Options

Hi all...

I currently use an AV Receiver as a Pre/Processor and centre/rear amp its internal amps are rated at 100x5. For the mains I am currently using an RMB-1075. I have the mains bi amped/bi wired.

I am about to get rid of this AV Receiver and get a RSP-1066. I have three options.

1. Go back to running all five speakers from the 1075.

2 Get another power amp. use the 1075 to run the mains and the centre and get either a 1050 or 1070 to run the rears.

3. Get a 1080 for the mains and run the centre/surrounds off the 1075 (and lose the use of 2 channels, unless I go 7.1 :T )

With this last senario I was concerned the mains would be at 200W and the centre at 120W. Would this make any difference to the harmony of 5.1 sound or will I be unlikely to notice anything? No doubt stereo would be better with the 2 channel on the mains, my listening is 50/50 music and HT.

The speakers in question are Australian made Krix, Euphonix mains (150W, 89db 8 Ohm) and Centrix centre (110W, 89db, 8 Ohm) the surrounds are Equinox (80W, 88db, 6 Ohm) not the most efficient speakers, but I like their sound.

From previous experience with an AMC 3x150W power amp, the mains work better with more power.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

1080!!!!

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by redbears
      I am about to get rid of this AV Receiver and get a RSP-1066.
      One option I was considering was pairing a 1075 with an AV Receiver. What brand AV recevier were you using?

And where are you getting the 1066? I can only find the 1068 in Australia. I'd probably prefer the 1068 to the 1066, but it would be beaut to know if a 1066 is readily available.

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

What's your budget? While the Rotel 1080 would do a very good job for you, if you are a 2-channel enthusiast like me, then a Bryston 4B SST is the ticket. I understand that while pricey here in the U.S., it may be outrageous in Australia but....

Jim
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Ross Smith
          • May 2004

I have a RSP 1066 running through a Rotel 5 channel Amp, I use Krix Lyrix for fronts and Krix KDX centre. I borrowed my brother's Rotel 1080 and tried it on the fronts I didn't notice much difference in sound levels or clarity, in fact when I did a balance check I had to increase the levels on the front channels by 2db- 3db.
          You might find the RSP 1066 a bit too smooth in the top end, I would like a bit more bite in the treble withe mine.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I agree 1080, hands down :T . You won't regret the decision.

Watch out for Jimmy he biased :rofl:, but he's happy.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• redbears
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
              One option I was considering was pairing a 1075 with an AV Receiver. What brand AV recevier were you using?

And where are you getting the 1066? I can only find the 1068 in Australia. I'd probably prefer the 1068 to the 1066, but it would be beaut to know if a 1066 is readily available.
              Sourced 2 demos (In black) and a new boxed unit in black, locally in Melbourne. The demos have a 3 year warranty too. I don't like silver and the step up from the Pioneer 859TX should be noticeable. Reason for update is I no longer need the AC-3 RF feature, so I am free to look at other stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will seriously consider the 1080, my budget extends no further than that though. :T

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Then definitely the Bryston is out of the question for you. Confidently, you will enjoy the Rotel RB-1080.

And yes it is true that I am biased regarding Bryston but as I say that without sounding like a snob, I guarantee you that any Rotel owner, if given an unlimited budget, would get one too.

Jim

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                  Then definitely the Bryston is out of the question for you. Confidently, you will enjoy the Rotel RB-1080.

And yes it is true that I am biased regarding Bryston but as I say that without sounding like a snob, I guarantee you that any Rotel owner, if given an unlimited budget, would get one too.

Jim
                  I don't know Jimmy, unlimited budget maybe Krell or Classe, but I would certainly test Bryston 8) .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                    • Sep 2003

Don't leave out the Halo gear! :B

I only say this because Ive been converted as of late, and I dont think enough people give the Parasounds a chance!

I was going with Bryston or Cinenova until I laid my eyes on a Halo in person. Just fell in love, and they sound just as good as they look :T

I still lust after the SST amps from Bryston, maybe when I visit Jimmy, he wont notice ones missing :E

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                    GameTracker -My List-
                    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Azeke:

I guess if I had an unlimited budget then I'd go Chord. Krell and Classe' are certainly extremely great but for me, the Bryston reigns. If those are your first two choices, giddyup for you.

My point to the gent was to illustrate that if he is truly into 2-channel (he did state he is 50:50 music:ht), Bryston is a better option than Rotel if he has the funds to go for this. I, unlike you, did not disparage Rotel whereas you felt it necessary to take a potshot at me for some unknown reason --- Bryston isn't only good because I am biased toward it! If all he can afford is at most a Rotel RB-1080, great and I know that he'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I am not sure why you felt the need to make a point of my bias, true though that it may be, but arguably a fact that a Bryston amp is better than a Rotel amp. That you cannot argue and I know you know it from other comments you've made here at the forum. And I never said it was the best amp available regardless of money. You made that leap. I was simply trying to give this person an honest and experienced opinion having owned Rotel and Bryston amps. Have you owned a Bryston amp? If not, have you listened to one and if so, for how long? If not, why take the hit on someone who is attempting to give honest and experienced feedback to an enthusiast asking questions. I asked what his budget was. If he would have stated it upfront and knowing what I now know, I would have never suggested Bryston. I would have concurred with the 1080 all the way. But, Rotel is NOT the only answer in audio. I don't get it. :M

Jim

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Jimmy try to simmer down, Azeke was just kidding around, let's not take things too seriously

Having said that I pretty much agree with what you said. I love my Rotel gear for what it is, relatively high performing gear at reasonable prices. I'd love to have a 1080 if I could get my hands on one.

Now if I won the lotto or something, Bryston, especially with me living in Canada, would be on my very short list of amps to get. Especially with that tasty warranty :P

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Indeed I was just kidding , wow, good comeback though 8) .

Now we can be friends again,

Azeke

Comment

• Sithlord
                            • Aug 2004

Think twice before posting replys

I'm sorry but I feel the need to reply in this thread. I continue to view this site as a means to learn and accummulate knowledge on gear of all types and makes. I am gettting tired of people argueing over stupid little things like who has the best or what they believe is the best or whatever.

Jimmy I was very disappointed when I read your reply, you just took all the fun out of home theatre for me when you went off the handle over something so small. Azeke in no way was attacking you or saying that your suggestion was the be all and he even used a tag to illustrate this ( :rofl: ).

After the thread I started regarding the Marantz dvd player which went way over the top, I'm surprised you and others haven't learnt to bite your tongues and if you happen to disagree with what someone has said then I suggest you send them a private message and not tarnish this great forum.

Sorry if I have overstept my authority but I feel that people do forget that many people visit this forum and I feel that we should all remember what HT is... a HOBBY and a enjoyable one. :T

Comment

• jimmyp58
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

All:

Apologies certainly accepted and forgiveness certainly asked for if I offended anyone.

Here's the gist guys as to why I was upset. Number one, I work in sales and it frustrates me to no end when a customer is asking for help and a competitor tells them HIS solution is the best and only one when in fact the customer has asked an open-ended question seeking knowledge. True, the competitor needs to sell his product but when a customer needs/requests info, I and my staff feel that the most honorable thing to do is give as many examples of all that is available, not just the products we sell. We take pride in knowing not only our brands but our competitor's as well; many times we speak highly of the positives they bring as well as ours. Many, if not all, customers come to appreciate this open and honest dialogue as it allows them to ferret through the mounds of info thrown at them and dissect what truly is the most valuable to them. I admit I was overly sensitive when the primary poster was looking for advice and the only one given was a Rotel RB-1080.

I understand Azeke's point but I perceived he was taking a potshot at me. Many of you believed he was kidding so perhaps my sense of humor is waning today but I felt that because this is mostly a Rotel site, he was backhandedly criticizing me. That is why I got upset too. I certainly understand now that he was kidding --- trust me, I was perplexed by the comment because I have come to truly respect him in the near year I have visited this forum. He always has something insightful and positive to say; I just didn't get the comment.

Sithlord, I concur with you 100% that I wouldn't want to revisit the tenor of the Marantz thread of a few weeks back. If you recall, I tried as well as a few others, to diffuse some of what was going on. I cannot change the fact you were disappointed in my reaction but it is my hope you now understand why I became upset. And for certain, the issue is over as far as I am concerned. It is a hobby and for us enthusiasts, a very expensive one indeed. It can be even more expensive when we don't have info (ammunition) when we make purchases only to become disappointed in the end if what we take home doesn't bring the same twinkle as it did in the store. I certainly learned from my audition for a new pre/pro that demo'ing a number of different units in a somewhat controlled manner made all the difference in the world even though it would have been very easy for me to just buy the Bryston SP 1.7 because I already owned a couple of their amps. Again, I hope you now understand why I got riled. I certainly didn't do it to dampen your love of HT and sincerely apologize if I have soured your outlook.

How 'bout a round of kum-ba-ya?!

Jim
                              Last edited by jimmyp58; 28 August 2004, 04:06 Saturday.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

:T

Jason
                                Jason

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2003

Jimmy58,

I know you like to join in Club Rotel and indeed - almost every post where someone requests a Rotel amplifier recommendation you ensure that they are aware of Bryston by recommending them as an alternative. Indeed I was lucky enough to hear them on my current visit to USA and Canada - and they are great amps, incredably clean and a step up from the Rotels. They put a on my dial!

However it is important for you also be aware of the retail price difference between them in many countries. For example:
                                  1) In Australia (where Redbears comes from) the Rotel RB-1080 retails for $1,499 and the Bryston 4B STP at $4,539 (i.e. 3 times the price)
                                  2) In the US the Rotel RB-1080 retails for $999 and the Bryston 4B STP at $2,695 (some higher some less) - ie 2.7 times the price.
                                  3) In the UK the Rotel RB-1090 retails for UK Pounds 899 and the Bryston 4B STP at UK pounds 1,999.

I know there are arguments about "yes but you can get discounts" but this applies to the other brands too leaving the relativities roughly intact.

So, like the also excellent amplifiers from Krell and Classe etc, for many people Bryston amplifiers are worth a listen (so we know what we are missing) but simply not in the same price league as the Rotels and therefore most likely out of the question...

You could perhaps add this to your posts "If you have 2-3 times the budget and want to hear an outstanding amplifier then you may wish to try the Bryston XXXX" (put in the relevant model)...

Food for thought

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Geoff:

You bring up an excellent point and while I didn't state distinctly 2-3X, I kind of alluded to it early on in the thread. I asked him what his budget was and cautioned him that the price was probably outrageous in Australia where you and he are from. Actually it was you that educated me about this a few weeks back when we had the pre/pro discussion I believe (Bryston SP 1.7 vs. Anthem Statement D1). I never realized it was that ridiculous in Australia for Bryston gear hence I qualified my suggestion with that comment for our new friend. If the gent had a larger budget and the Bryston sound fulfilled his ear's desires, he could consider going for it if the value intersect was o.k. for him.

Point well taken and if I make this suggestion again for an enthusiast in your vicinity, I'll be more precise.

Jim

Comment

• Azeke
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2003

Jimmy, I humbly apologize that you percieved my comments to be negative. That was never my intent and certainly not my style 8) .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Azeke:

I certainly accept your apology and humbly apologize as well for being overly sensitive about the comment.

All The Best....

Jim

Comment

• Sithlord
                                          • Aug 2004

All for one and one for all

Well that is certainly better and Jimmy no problem. I understand your position when it comes to work. We all work one way or the another and I personally have a very taxing job working for a newspaper. I never mix business with pleasure and will never go on forums after a terrible day at the office. :E

I hope in the future we can continue to Discuss any and all things HT related in a civil manner. Your input has and will always be appreciated.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

Sithlord:

You are very right in that work and pleasure shouldn't be mixed. I am a great believer of that too. Like I said though, this is such an expensive hobby and certain mistakes or decisions based on lack of information generally costs us even more money than we've already put out.

Before I found this and one other forum, I was a total novice. I was taken advantage of not once, but twice, by dealers that were trying to make a sale. Granted, I work in sales but I was totally 'green' when it came to the nuances of high-end audio/video gear. I got burned and in at least one instance made a regretful purchase not knowing all (or certainly more) of what was available. So I have great passion and compassion for fellow enthusiasts seeking advice/help/knowledge. And I'll admit that I am somewhat zealous about it.

All is good though and this is behind us. I am humbled and appreciate that you find my input of some value.

Jim

Comment

• redbears
                                              • Aug 2004

Sorry to cause a stir, I ended up buying the 1080 for AUD $1,200 very happy! :T

Comment

• Azeke
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2003

You have chosen wisely. Don't worry about the stir, these things sometimes happen, but all is well.

Enjoy your toy,

Azeke

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

We are a passionate bunch! Enjoy the 1080 as it'll bring wonderful sounds to your ears!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"