X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonas78
    • Aug 2005

1098 & Analog audio out (rec out) Case closed

Hi,
    Im wondering if there might be a problem with my 1098. When I connect a audio source on the anolog audio I get the sound through the speakers, as I should. But when I connect something like the TV audio input to the Analog out (rec out) I get sound from the tv but it's extremely low. Now is this normal or might I have a problem with my outputs? I tried connectiing the tv speaker to the zone2 analog out and then I get a normal sound level.

Hope this make sense.
    To try to explain it a bit better:
    If I connect a audio source on Tape in and the TV speakers on Tape out I get a VERY low volume through the tv. But if I connect the Zone2 out to the tv and select it's source to Tape, I then get a normal volume out.
    Last edited by Jonas78; 08 September 2005, 09:27 Thursday.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You can't send an input to an output, you are getting just the low-level coming through the shared grounds..

IE, on tape out you can send everything but tape in. On video 1 out you can send everything but video 1 in.

The rec out is selectable just like zone 2.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jonas78
      • Aug 2005

Ok, but I think I have to disagree, (but I could be wrong)
      First, if I have audio comming in on video1 and I select record = source or video1 I will then get the audio comming from video1 going out on video1 to a recording device such a vcr.

But I have also tried to listen to ie. video2 but selected video1 for recording, which results in the same low volume sound out on the tv (which I connected to video2 out just to se if I get any audio out).

Hard to explain, and Im not sure if I get message through. But could you assist me in some setup where I can check if my analog audio out is working correctly.

Thanks for any help
      /Jonas

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Something is messed up then. The loops are designed for the same device. IE, video 1 in = vcr out, video 1 out = vcr in. You shouldn't be able to send the input back to the input device. This will cause a feedback loop with possible damage to both pieces of equipment. To prevent this, they don't allow the in to the outs on the same inputs.

If you truely can get a video 1 input to play out of the video 1 output, then something is wrong..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

What's your intended use for these rec out's etc?

Comment

• Jonas78
            • Aug 2005

Ok, I think I need to re-check it again... Now when I actually are reading my posts Im not sure of what I mean. :

I really dont have any plans to use the audio out at this moment, but I just might in the future.

Anyway, if I listen to Video1 (and select record on video2) and connect the tv speakers to Video2, am I then supposed to hear sound from the tv speakers?
            How are the analog audio out supposed to behave?

Comment

• Jonas78
              • Aug 2005

Found the problem, it was faulty wiring in my head...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

:lol: welcome to my world :crazy:

Comment

• Jonas78
                  • Aug 2005

Hehe yeah, it helps to take a step back and look at it again from a different angle :B

I cant see what the hell I was thinking now when I now what the problem was, and to be honest, Im too embarrased to even say it ops: :B

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Jonas fear not I'd guess we've all done similar things in past that make you wonder what you were thinking

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

If it makes you feel any better, I install this stuff every day and at least once a month I get snagged for an hour trying to figure out why a sub won't work.. Turns out if you plug it into the multi-channel sub-INPUT you won't have any sound..

Feel proud that you've hooked up a 1098 and are actually using the REC OUT loop, that's no small feet.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"