X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bambahtg9700
    • May 2005

Optical vs. Digital Coaxial AUDIO OUT

So my DVD player has both of these options for audio out. I'm sort of forced to use the Digital Coaxial over the Optical audio out because my receiver does not have any more Optical inputs left.

Is there any sound quality differences between the two? It seems like a digital coax would not be even able to produce a stereo sound since it is only a 1 rca cable as opposed to 2 rca cables required for stereo playback. With that said, does a digital coax really generate separate channel output for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound like an optical connection does? Will it also like optical connection be able to distinguish between stereo and surround sound?

Thanks!
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

digital coax will do everything the optical will. In fact, it's the preferred connection by most people, (myself included) because optical has to go through additional processing steps over coax. Coax to many people sounds purer, more refined sounding.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• bambahtg9700
      • May 2005

thanks lex. huh so is the digital coax cable is a bit differenct from the typical rca cable used for stereo sound? any recommedations on some good digital coax cables?

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

Is there any sound quality differences between the two?
        Digital coax is typically better than optical (technically called TOSLINK). With TOSLINK you have the extra step of converting the electrical pulse to an optical pulse and then converting the optical pulse back to an electrical pulse on the other end. This can introduce jitter and or errors. Also manufactures tend to use pretty inexpensive components to implement TOSLINK.

Also, believe it or not, digital coax has more bandwidth than TOSLINK. TOSLINK is a pretty crummy implementation of fiber optics.

It seems like a digital coax would not be even able to produce a stereo sound since it is only a 1 rca cable as opposed to 2 rca cables required for stereo playback.
        Its DIGITAL. Its only sending 0's and 1's. Its up to the receiver to take those 0's and 1's and decode them into a stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 presentation based on information encoded in the data stream.
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• chrispy35
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by greggz
          Digital coax is typically better than optical (technically called TOSLINK). With TOSLINK you have the extra step of converting the electrical pulse to an optical pulse and then converting the optical pulse back to an electrical pulse on the other end. This can introduce jitter and or errors. Also manufactures tend to use pretty inexpensive components to implement TOSLINK.
          Jitter yes. Errors??? Has anyone ever heard random errors on a digital interface (optical or coaxial)? When I've had issues with digital interconnect, it's been sound or no sound.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

You also tend to get a better quality coax cable for "X" amount of dollars vs. optical.
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chrispy35
              Jitter yes. Errors??? Has anyone ever heard random errors on a digital interface (optical or coaxial)? When I've had issues with digital interconnect, it's been sound or no sound.
              Correct
              There are no errors related to Toslink processing (A common misconception) but it is possible to introduce jitter...

On a system with a master clock either connection is fine.

Comment

• NeutralMAN
                • May 2005

I was under the impression that the digital signal, is still sent through the coax as a analogue form. EG. a sample (16-bit) is still represented in it's numerical analogue form. I didn't think a digital waveform is sent down the line.

Is this correct, or have I been mislead?

NeutralMAN

Comment

• ajpoe
                  • Jul 2004

No, it is a digital signal sent from the DVD player to the processor. It carries all the channels on the single cable for 5.1, 7.1, etc. The processor/receiver takes the digital signal and then coverts it internally to the analog out to each of the channels.
                  AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• WCS
                    • Aug 2005

I just thought since no one has Mentioned Glass TOS links I would throw them into the mix. They offer 30M hz bandwidth and sound like no other TOS link you ever heard.

If you go to Walmart, BB, CC, etc and look at the Toslink cables from Monster, Belkin, Philips, and RCA, you’ll see that the back side of their packages have a chart that says, “Good: analog, Better: coax, Best: optical.” And none of these are glass-fiber cables! Recall that not too long ago, Toslink was considered “vastly inferior.”

Comment

• directitstore
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by WCS
                      I just thought since no one has Mentioned Glass TOS links I would throw them into the mix. They offer 30M hz bandwidth and sound like no other TOS link you ever heard.

If you go to Walmart, BB, CC, etc and look at the Toslink cables from Monster, Belkin, Philips, and RCA, you’ll see that the back side of their packages have a chart that says, “Good: analog, Better: coax, Best: optical.” And none of these are glass-fiber cables! Recall that not too long ago, Toslink was considered “vastly inferior.”
                      Agreed, the new NeoTech Toslink cable is more expensive but it has the best sound I have heard so far...

It comes with Medical-grade light conducting fiber core and polyethylene insulation

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Which goes back to my point that for an equivelant amount of money coax will get you a better cable.

Most inexpensive optical cables use plastic, real glass ones cost more. For the same amount of money you'll get a better coax cable IMO. A good coax is under $100, good opticals only start there.

Having said that, my Denon 1600 only has an optical out, as such I had to get a optical IC. I started out with about a $50CA one and then moved up to a VERY NICE cable from forum sponsor Cat Cables. Doug was nice enough to give me a pretty good deal but it was definitely more expensive due to it actually using glass fibre. The new cable sounded better and also removed the sync problems I was occasionally getting.

So basically, either format can sound great, optical will just usually cost more to get the same quality.
                        Jason

Comment

• WCS
                          • Aug 2005

uhh ooo

Comment

• WCS
                            • Aug 2005

[QUOTE=aud19]Which goes back to my point that for an equivelant amount of money coax will get you a better cable.

Most inexpensive optical cables use plastic, real glass ones cost more. For the same amount of money you'll get a better coax cable IMO. A good coax is under $100, good opticals only start there.

Having said that, my Denon 1600 only has an optical out, as such I had to get a optical IC. I started out with about a $50CA one and then moved up to a VERY NICE cable from forum sponsor Cat Cables. Doug was nice enough to give me a pretty good deal but it was definitely more expensive due to it actually using glass fibre. The new cable sounded better and also removed the sync problems I was occasionally getting.

[B]So basically, either format can sound great, optical will just usually cost more to get the same quality. QUOTE]

Give this Glass TOS a try. You can purchase good Glass TOS link on ebay for $15.00 for 1meter. They are true Glass TOS cables. For the price, pick one up and test it for yourself. I would post the ebay link but not sure if Iam allowed to do so. Heres some info on the cable.

Premium Glass fiber optical cable is the highest quality digital optical cable available. Unlike most consumer grade optical cable that use plastic fiber optics, this cable uses real glass fiber optics and mirror polished ends for the highest possible quality data transmission. This cables ensures the least signal loss and least jitter possible

The series utilize glass fiber optic conductors and precision connectors to reduce digital jitter for a dramatic upgrade over conventional toslink optical cables, which utilize plastic fiber optic conductors. Glass fiber optic transmission allows superior high resolution, amazing clarity reproduction, ultra spatial effects and dynamic impact

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"