X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrh
    • Aug 2005

RB-1080 and 4ohm's?

Hey all. Question, I'm kicking around the idea (as in I might buy it today) of adding a RB-1080 to my 1056 receiver. The 1080 would be driving a pair of Axiom M80ti's which are a 4 ohm speaker. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but how does the 1080 do driving a 4 ohm load? The specs call out 200x2 at 8ohms but I'm not seeing anything about bridging it to 4ohms on the Rotel site.
    I might as well get additional thoughts on this also...I have the option to pick up a used Classe CA-150 (it's probably 5 years old but in perfect shape) which is 150x2 at 8ohms or 300x2 into 4ohms. Do you guys recommend one over the other? Thanks everyone!
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Hi jrh, The 1080 is fine when driving 4 Ohm loads (bridging is something different). Information from an independent review saying that they had measured the power output of the 1080 at closer to 250W continuous into 8 Ohms and a little over 400W into 4 Ohms. Unfortunately I cannot remember which magazine this review was in. I have a 1080 which I use to drive JM Lab Cobalt 826S's and love it.

I am not familiar with the Classe amp, but people in Club B&W generally prefer Classe to Rotel. Check it out. Hope this helps, Ben

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Greeting there from a fellow Axiom owner!! I have RB-1080 as well with RC-1070, but with Axiom M60s rated at 8 Ohms. 1080 has no problems whatsoever driving 4 Ohms speakers. I have heard they may output 350 wpc with 4 Ohms loads.

Comment

• Marlboroman
        • Aug 2005

The Rotel tech support guys say that the rated output for the RB-1080 into 4 ohms is 300 watts per channel. Hope that helps.

SM

Comment

• RickF
          • Apr 2005

Jrh, I am currently running a pair of M80ti's with the RB-1080 and really do like the combination. I have an RC-1070 preamp that I ran with with the 1080 specifically for a little while in 2 ch stereo only and then hooked up the 1080 through the pre-outs on my H/K 635 to run the 80s as the two front mains in a 5.1 system...great combination.

The RB-1080 will drive those 80s with no problemo whatsoever, believe me!
          Last edited by RickF; 05 September 2005, 07:16 Monday.

Comment

• lvhung
            • Jun 2005

200W is may not ideal
            at lower level listening

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"