Anybody running RB1095, RB1080 & RSP1098 for 7.1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Apr 2005

Anybody running RB1095, RB1080 & RSP1098 for 7.1?

I'm thinking about an upgrade in the not too distant future and am considering the addition of an RB 1095 along with the RSP 1098 to connect with my existing RB 1080 for a 7.1 system.

Anybody have this setup? Thoughts?

[edit for further explaination]

I'm thinking of using the RB 1080 for the 4 ohm Axiom M80 speakers for the fronts and the RB 1095 for the rear surrounds (Axiom M60s), side surrounds (Axiom QS8s) and center (Axiom VP150).

Thanks, Rick.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Hello Rick,

I can vouch for 7.1 channels via RMB-1095, RB-1080, and RSP-1098, it is a thing of acoustical beauty, especially with DoProIIx enabled. I cannot elaborate on how the load will be handled. My theory would be that the 1095 and 1080 should be able to handle your 4ohm loads, but nothing lower.

Be careful though, you must have the room for the 7.1 layout.

Check out the URL, it should help:

DoProIIx 7.1

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• RickF
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
      Hello Rick,

I can vouch for 7.1 channels via RMB-1095, RB-1080, and RSP-1098, it is a thing of acoustical beauty, especially with DoProIIx enabled. I cannot elaborate on how the load will be handled. My theory would be that the 1095 and 1080 should be able to handle your 4ohm loads, but nothing lower.

Be careful though, you must have the room for the 7.1 layout.

Check out the URL, it should help:

DoProIIx 7.1

Hope this helps,

Azeke
      Thanks Azeke, actually the only 4 ohm speakers will be the 80s for the fronts and I'm already running them through the RB 1080, which is quite awesome and other than the center, which is a 6 ohm speaker everything else will be 8 ohm speakers. The room (after expansion) will measure 20 X 35 so I'm not too terribly concerned in that area.
      My original thought was to run 3 1080 amps with a monoblock for the center along with the RSP 1098 but I'm leaning more towards the RB 1095 and 1080 for power. Right now I'm running the 1080 for a two channel staereo and the the amp with a 4 ohm load should be running 300 wpc, from what I understand.

Thanks for the link!

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

You're welcome, Rick.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Are you sure you don't want to go with three mono's for the front three speakers and two stereo amps for the four surround channels....? :twisted: :twisted:
          Jason

Comment

• RickF
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by aud19
            Are you sure you don't want to go with three mono's for the front three speakers and two stereo amps for the four surround channels....? :twisted: :twisted:
            Being relatively new to this level of A/V and not knowing too terribly much , can you tell me what would be the advantages of running the mono's and also what monoblocks would be reccommened?

We'll be making an addition onto our house soon with a built in A/V closet/rack and I was kind of wanting to keep all the power and processing Rotel.

Rick

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

I have the 1095/1080/1098 combo, love it!

I have the 1095 running the three front speakers, the 1080 pushing the L/R rear speakers and the 1095 pushing the back L/R. This way during normal 5.1 listening the extra two channels on the 1095 aren't used, but with DPLIIx then it's all used.

I went with the 1095 for the front L/R because I like how it images better with music than the 1080. I like having the vocals mounted firmly in front in a phantom center channel and every instrument is placed where to me, it seems like it should be. The 1080 gave a much more "stereo" effect where there really was no phantom center and sounds didn't go much outside of where the speakers are. The 1095 seems to give you sounds from between the speakers and out to each side of the speaker. Now this is probably because the 1095 is more for HT use than stereo, but I just found the 1080 didn't image as well (to my liking) as how the 1095 does.

Plus for me I wanted a seemless integrated front sound stage (all running off the same amp). Which three monoblocks would do the same thing! :T
              Last edited by PewterTA; 03 June 2005, 14:42 Friday.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• ajpoe
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                I have the 1095/1080/1098 combo, love it!

I have the 1095 running the three front speakers, the 1080 pushing the L/R rear speakers and the 1095 pushing the back L/R. This way during normal 5.1 listening the extra two channels on the 1095 aren't used, but with DPLIIx then it's all used.

I went with the 1095 for the front L/R because I like how it images better with music than the 1080. I like having the vocals mounted firmly in front in a phantom center channel and every instrument is placed where to me, it seems like it should be. The 1080 gave a much more "stereo" effect where there really was no phantom center and sounds didn't go much outside of where the speakers are. The 1095 seems to give you sounds from between the speakers and out to each side of the speaker. Now this is probably because the 1095 is more for HT use than stereo, but I just found the 1080 didn't image as well (to my liking) as how the 1095 does.

Plus for me I wanted a seemless integrated from stage (all running off the same amp). Which three monoblocks would do the same thing! :T

You have a lot more reserves with the 1095 running just 2 channels for music too since you're not using the other 3 channels. I'd agree with Pewter that this is probably the best way to go.
                AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RickF
                  Being relatively new to this level of A/V and not knowing too terribly much , can you tell me what would be the advantages of running the mono's and also what monoblocks would be reccommened?

We'll be making an addition onto our house soon with a built in A/V closet/rack and I was kind of wanting to keep all the power and processing Rotel.

Rick
                  Well I was mostly kidding there but that's my dream setup when I win the lotto (notice I said when, not if :rofl: ). As you can imagine it would be more expensive to buy more, seperate amps rather than stereo or multichannel amps. That cost and space for all of them is likely the biggest downsides. The upsides are the same as getting stereo amps rather than multichannel, you have one dedicated amp, with it's dedicated powersupply etc for each channel which should give you better performance/power etc.

Rotel doesn't make mono amps however, which means you'd pretty much have to go elsewhere if you really dow want mono. For me, being in Canada, I'd likely being looking pretty hard at Bryston (and their 20 year 8O transferable warranty :P ) myself but there are a few other higher end companies that also make them
                  Jason

Comment

• RickF
                    • Apr 2005

Well I was mostly kidding there but that's my dream setup
                    LOL, Yep, the 1098, 1095 and 1080 will be my dream setup also! Looks like by the middle to end of summer I'll be adding the 1098 and the 1095...can't wait!

Comment

• NewBuyer
                      • Feb 2005

Don't forget Outlaw Audio makes a very highly regarded 200W/300W monoblock amp, the M200...

Comment

• Marcel54
                        • Jan 2004

I'm running a 1098, 1080, 1095 in a 7.1 set up since november 2003. I use the 1080 for my fronts (Mirage OM-7s) because I play stereo too and the 1095 for driving the rest of the speakers (Mirages too). A part from some minor problems (like blowing a fuse now and again) I'm very happy with this set up and at the moment I'm not wanting to change anything.

Marcel

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Marcel54
                          I'm running a 1098, 1080, 1095 in a 7.1 set up since november 2003. I use the 1080 for my fronts (Mirage OM-7s) because I play stereo too and the 1095 for driving the rest of the speakers (Mirages too). A part from some minor problems (like blowing a fuse now and again) I'm very happy with this set up and at the moment I'm not wanting to change anything.

Marcel
                          Hmmm, me too, Marcel. I also blow the 1080 fuse front channel now and then. I have since disconnected from the 12V trigger. I wonder if the OHM load of the Mirage OM-7 has anything to do with it.

I love my 7.1 Mirage setup btw, any setup hints that I may have overlooked?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• mpauline
                            • Dec 2003

It is a great set up!

I have the same gear and I think that the sound is incredible. The enhancement of your listening experience from 5.1 to 7.1 is well worth the cost. I have no regrets about upgrading my system. It will definitely give you the "movie experience".

I think that the 1098 is a great pre/pro. I listened to many high end processors before deciding on the Rotel. It has a great soundstage.

My only complaint is the design of the 1080 amp. Mine is constantly having "the fuse issue". I would not buy that amp again if I had my way

Comment

• RickF
                              • Apr 2005

I'm really glad to hear that some of you folks are runing these units together, making me anxious.

I just got my RB 1080 about a month and a half ago, I'm curious to know when Rotel remedied the fuse problem from the factory? A buddy of mine has had his 1080 for almost 2 years without a hitch and was actually one of the deciding factors why I went with Rotel.

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Rick,

It seems that Rotel has acknowledged that a small percentage of the RB-1080s experience fuse blowing. They have provided a couple of fixes, increased fuse amperage, as well as capacitor replacement. I have upgraded my fuses (8.3A), but have not done the capacitor replacement. I am waiting for vacation, at which time I will send my precious out for repair. I currently leave my Rotel on, w/o being connected to the 12v trigger, my amp seems stable at this time.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• RickF
                                  • Apr 2005

Thanks everybody, hopefully my 1080 won't have the fuse issue...crossing my fingers.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Replace the fuse with an 8.3A fuse and I've had no troubles with using the 12v Trigger. Going on 7 months now.
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"