X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrh
    • Aug 2005

Rotel Advice Needed! Sorry so long...

Hello everyone. I need your advice. I'm a new Rotel user...I purchased a 1056 Receiver July 25. I just got my system set up and unpacked the receiver, to find that one of the "doors" on one of the Optical Inputs was missing. The door is what locks the Optical cable into the receiver, so without it the cable won't stay in place. So, I boxed the receiver up yesterday and took it back to the retailer. They were excellent about it, and called Rotel to ensure they could replace the unit as it's only 24 days old. Rotel told them no, they wouldn't replace the unit for this problem as it's "minor" in nature and that it would have to be sent in for repair. I'm thinking, wait a minute, I paid $1300 for a receiver, it's only 24 days old, and they won't replace it??? I called Rotel myself, spoke to a representative who transferred me to his supervisor and I got the same response...they won't replace it, it will have to be fixed. I'm upset with this situation as I think I deserve a replacement for such an expensive product, only 24 days old. It's a mechanical problem and I believe it should be taken care of by Rotel with a replacement vs making me wait for a repair let alone making me settle for a "defective" product that had to be fixed after less than a month. Am I wrong here??? Thanks for your advice!
    PS, I'm a huge fan of Rotel's products, so don't get me wrong. I just want to be taken care of by the company I support!
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

I'm not sure i understand what you are referring to when you say "door" for the optical input ,are you referring to the little flap/tab?But any how i've always been under the impression you just insert the optical cable into its slot and your all done.I never heard of any type of locking device(doors) that locks in the cable.I may be mistaken.

Comment

• jrh
      • Aug 2005

Yes, exactly, the little flap. When you insert the cable into the optical slot, the little flap, "flaps" in and locks the cable into place. Without that little flap/door the cable can't lock into place.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

IMO this should have been an issue between you and your dealer and let the dealer fight it out with Rotel. At a minimum I'd ask that your dealer give you a temp model to hold you over while yours gets repaired.

Comment

• jrh
          • Aug 2005

Hi Andrew, I fully agree with you. I tried that route first. The dealer called Rotel and I can honestly say they did their part in trying to get the replacement but to no avail. Now, I guess I could have demanded that the dealer take the "risk" and either ask for a refund or replacement out of their stock, but apparently that wasn't their process as they went directly to Rotel first. The dealer told me that it sometimes helps to have the customer call directly so I tried that route also. I'd appreciate anyones advice! Thanks for your response Andrew, I appreciate it.

Comment

• Swilliams97
            • Jul 2005

I just purchased a 1098 and noticed immediately that the function knob was excessively loose and much too touchy making difficult to use to name inputs for example. I called my dealer who said that since it was less than 30 days old, Rotel would replace without any question. The dealer gave me a demo and I had my new one within a week. Hope you get it worked out.
            Steve

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

If your dealer does not make this right with at least a loaner, I would just return your 1056 and buy one from another dealer. If they are going to stick it to you, stick it right back to them. This is poor customer service, especially from your dealer.

Comment

• Tubby
                • Feb 2005

Doesn't Rotel now check the product before it is released to the dealer? I believe there is supposed to be a green dot or something on the box which means it has been checked to QC purposes.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                  • May 2004

I would say that it is not necessarily a replacement issue. I mean seriously, that is what, a 0.5 cent part. You had the unit for 24 days and now say the thing was missing? Did you accidently break it or something? This is not really a problem that I would push for an exchange on personally. I would just want the unit repaired as fast as possible and at no expense to me. I would not expect to have to pay shipping, I would say the dealer would pay that, but that is like buying a car and finding out that one of the headlights is burnt out after 24 days and demanding a new car.

G.

:assimilate:

Comment

• lvhung
                    • Jun 2005

Rotel is continuing to lost many nice customers

Comment

• jrh
                      • Aug 2005

Hi all, I do have an update, but first to reply to GosonFletchy...I appreciate your opinion, thanks. I guess I just have a different opinion, and since it's money I spent I feel strongly the other way.

However, I have great news...I will be receiving a replacement! The dealer called me today and they informed me they will be getting me a replacement unit. I am very appreciative that they came through so they will continue to get my business. As I said earlier, I'd continue to be a happy Rotel customer if this issue is resolved and that still holds true. I look forward to getting my replacement and in the future adding additional Rotel equipment to my Home Theater.
                      Thanks everyone for your replies!

Comment

• thyname
                        • Jan 2005

Hi Jeremy, great to hear that your issue was resolved and you are happy now!

Please go to Axiom board, and follow up on your thread to say the same thing as above. It would be very nice for Rotel reputation for you to do this. There were several people there that used the opportunity to bash Rotel badly. Those Axioms owners out there have to learn what Rotel stands for, and not get stuck with mass market electronics from BB and CC.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

I think if Rotel had to replace every unit that experienced some infant mortality issue the cost would drive up our cost of the product. I'm a believer in having a unit repaired. At least you know it's been gone over. At the same time, your dealer (or Rotel) should lend you a replacement until yours returns 100%. Just my $.02
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"