X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DevSingh1359
    • Dec 2009

How should I set up my surround sound?

I'm a total novice when it comes to home theater stuff so I'd really appreciate some help here

On Black Friday I got this Sony BRAVIA 5.1 home theater system from Best Buy for $279

I'm currently waiting until my next paycheck to buy a 55" Samsung LED TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...B600&cp=1&lp=1) and a Bluray player (finally upgrading from the CRT TV I've been using for the past 6 years ). Along with the Bluray player, I'll need to connect my Xbox 360 (one of the old models with component output/no HDMI) and my cable box to the receiver.

The problem with the A/V receiver is that it only has one optical audio input and one HDMI output. What I'm wondering is...if I route everything to the TV's inputs (Bluray player and cable box via HDMI cable and 360 via component cables) and then route the TV's audio to the receiver via a single optical audio cable, will I receive 5.1 digital surround sound for ALL of my devices?

Or should I take another (albeit more complicated) approach to this by connecting only the video for each of my devices to the TV via HDMI/component...and then separately connecting the audio for each device directly to the receiver via optical cables for each of them? (In this case I would have to use a splitter on the receiver's single optical input.)

Which approach would you guys recommend? I really want the best surround sound quality possible.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by DevSingh1359
    and then route the TV's audio to the receiver via a single optical audio cable, will I receive 5.1 digital surround sound for ALL of my devices?
    Well it depends. Most TV's with digital out, only output 5.1 from OTA HD channels on the tuner. Everything else gets down-converted to 2 channel PCM.

I thought there was a list somewhere of what tvs did pass the 5.1 signal along, but I can't find it right now. Plus you would still be missing the 5.1 audio from the Xbox as the TV doesn't have a digital input.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

Your best bet is to get an optical switcher and connect all the devices to it. The only downside with the setup you got is that you will not be able to enjoy and HD audio.

Honestly, I'd consider returning it and spending $500-700 on a decent receiver and speakers.

A Yamaha 663 can be had for around $300-350. Polk Audio 6750 5.1 Speakers can be had for around $300-350 as well. Check on Amazon for current prices.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• DevSingh1359
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
        Well it depends. Most TV's with digital out, only output 5.1 from OTA HD channels on the tuner. Everything else gets down-converted to 2 channel PCM.

I thought there was a list somewhere of what tvs did pass the 5.1 signal along, but I can't find it right now. Plus you would still be missing the 5.1 audio from the Xbox as the TV doesn't have a digital input.

Kevin D.
        So...my best bet is to buy an optical audio splitter, plug that into the A/V receiver's optical input and route all audio from all devices directly to the splitter, correct?

Comment

• DevSingh1359
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by louhamilton
          Your best bet is to get an optical switcher and connect all the devices to it. The only downside with the setup you got is that you will not be able to enjoy and HD audio.

Honestly, I'd consider returning it and spending $500-700 on a decent receiver and speakers.

A Yamaha 663 can be had for around $300-350. Polk Audio 6750 5.1 Speakers can be had for around $300-350 as well. Check on Amazon for current prices.
          Thanks...I'm not sure I'll be returning these though, since the top priority in my budget is the TV itself...I think as long as I'm getting 5.1 surround sound I'll be happy

Comment

• Hammie
            • Oct 2005

So...my best bet is to buy an optical audio splitter, plug that into the A/V receiver's optical input and route all audio from all devices directly to the splitter, correct?
            Yes.
            Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

Thanks...I'm not sure I'll be returning these though, since the top priority in my budget is the TV itself...I think as long as I'm getting 5.1 surround sound I'll be happy
              That's cool. I was just looking to potentially save you money in the long run. :T
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"