X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mission Control we have a problem...

For the last couple of weeks my 1098 has been giving me an odd quirk in that it would seemingly loose the connection to a digital device and force me to refind it or just cycle the power on it. It also sometimes would send out a nasty digital noise if you were on a menu etc where no signal was coming in. Any i did a factory reset last week and it did it again the next day and today it dropped the signal while watching TV so I figured since I had a little time tonight I'd reinstall the Eprom and the firmware and do another factory reset to see if that fixed it. So to make sure I was current I grabbed the eprom from the rotel site and did that step by step and it seemed to take it ok. Next install the latest firmware and again checksum's matched so all looked good...well it isn't. It now refuses to power up properly and with the upgrade cable still attached I'm not seeing the usual chatter of the 1098's serial output when its turned on. It'll take another firmware update no problem but it now won't do the eprom as the flashup utility claims it can't communicate with the processor so I think the eprom's toast :M This couldn't have happened at a worse time as tomorrow we're having a bunch of people over to meet my new daughter and I'm sure many would have come down to the media room for a quick demo...but that won't be happening now
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I'm really sorry to hear that Andrew :cry: .

Hopefully, you already have plan b in effect just in case.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm working on it now...

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Sorry to hear Andrew, hope you get it sorted out.

If you lived closer I would lend you mine...
        Bing

Comment

• w6000
          • Dec 2003

same thing happened to me. I had to return the unit because Rotel tech support could not fix it over the phone. My dealer had one waiting for me because tech support called them and told them about the problem.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

The only thought I would have is to see if you can flash it to another version of the firmware (older version)...see if that works....

Sorry to hear about the problems, did this just all the sudden start happening with the new firmware (meaning you didn't do anything to the unit that might cause this)...?!?!

Luckily I can say I'm not having a single problem with him and hopefully this isn't a bug that we are finding... I hope there's good news and your 1098 is working!!!!!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The machine will take several firmware's so its not that area of the code that's having problems its the underlying OS in the EPROM that's corrupt. The loose of digital connects has been going on for awhile now but it was only friday that I'd had enough and tried to update the code since a factory reset didn't seem to do anything.

Comment

• PiDD
                • Aug 2003

Hey Andrew,

I wish I saw this on the weekend... you could have had my 1098. I am also having a SW update issue that im working with Mike on.

The problem I have is that when I update to the newest version of firmware the function knob acts sluggish ... that is it cant keep up with my turning it. I installed the original version and it works fine.

If there is anything I could do to help let me know. Im sure there would be a few people that would like to see the better looking silver 1098 in your rack! :rofl:

Rob

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PiDD
                  The problem I have is that when I update to the newest version of firmware the function knob acts sluggish ... that is it cant keep up with my turning it. I installed the original version and it works fine.
                  Interesting! I thought this was 'normal', it's always been like this on my 1098 - before and after the recent software upgrade! I couldn't decide if it was a hard or software problem. Please let me know the outcome, I'd like mine fixed too if possible.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Rob you never know what might happen

Comment

• PiDD
                      • Aug 2003

My old 1098 was like that as well. I thought it was normal till I wass killing some time at the dealer and was playing with there 1098. Well it worked perfect. I had mine replaced and was in 1098 bliss till I updated the firmware. I talked to Mike and he sent me out an older version and it works perfect.

I will let you know when it is fixed. What version of firmware do you have?

Rob

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PiDD
                        My old 1098 was like that as well. I thought it was normal till I wass killing some time at the dealer and was playing with there 1098. Well it worked perfect. I had mine replaced and was in 1098 bliss till I updated the firmware. I talked to Mike and he sent me out an older version and it works perfect.

I will let you know when it is fixed. What version of firmware do you have?

Rob
                        OK, so it is a fault. Now I'm really interested to know the outcome Rob, so I can pressure my dealer! I have installed version 2.1.8 050308. I wonder how many other people experience this with their 1098?
                        Andrew, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, maybe this deserves a new thread if its a common problem?
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• PiDD
                          • Aug 2003

I can send you the 2.1.1 file Mike sent me that fixed it if you want to test.

Rob

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Rob thanks. I think the unit had 2.1.1 installed when I bought it, but 2.1.8 fixes so many other things - please email me. I think installing 2.1.1 would be interesting to determine if the function knob sluggish problem goes away. If so, then it must purely be a recent firmware problem, and so hopefully addressed in the next firmware update.
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I got two new PCB cards today from Rotel to replace the parts in my 1098 and I'm now back up and running. Thanks to the modular build of the 1098 its very easy to swap out cards so the whole process took less then 15 minutes and Mike was very quick to get me the new parts which I really apprecated since my brother's in town this weekend and I know he was looking forward to a demo (he lives half way across the country)

Comment

• PiDD
                                • Aug 2003

Perfect! Great support too!

Comment

• mjb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Great to hear Andrew. Did you take any pictures?
                                  - Mike

Main System:
                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2003

Man you're good! Took me nearly 15 mins just to put the shielding back in. I must be getting old (truth). There's always that one screw that just defies going in easily. Anyway, good to hear you're back up and running Andrew. Of course now you know you've set the benchmark for quick response that Rotel will have to meet in the future.
                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Did you take any pictures?
                                      Unfortunatly no I was in a hurry to get it up and running again before I had to go to a BBQ.

Jerry you don't need to remove the shielding to install a card as they'll just slide in/out once you remove the two screws that hold them in place. I took the top cover off but I don't think that was necessary in hindsight.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                        Unfortunatly no I was in a hurry to get it up and running again before I had to go to a BBQ.

Jerry you don't need to remove the shielding to install a card as they'll just slide in/out once you remove the two screws that hold them in place. I took the top cover off but I don't think that was necessary in hindsight.

I took off the top cover and the internal main shield which was a bear to get back on (those dang screws!). I didn't know it wasn't necessary because when they sent me my three cards they sent no instructions, nothing, nada, zip and I had no idea if the cards were secured to the main board in any way other than the screws in the back so I didn't want to just pull them without seing how they were attached. Nice to find that out now, however.
                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PiDD
                                          • Aug 2003

Im a 'got to take it apart' kinda guy. i havnt touched the 1098 .. yet! I have to admit I am tempted to take a peak. Take some pics next time Andrew.

Rob

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Hopefully there won't be a next time

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"