X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Just bought RB-1080...excited yet kinda nervous

Hi there. I just bought the RB-1080 to power my B&W 805S speakers. After speaking to numerous people and reading this forum it sounds like the 805s would really benefit from the extra power. So I am pretty excited!

However, I am also nervous about all of the blown fuse issues I have read. Supposedly the newest batches should have the fix (8A fuse + capacitors) but there was a post yesterday from someone who is still having the blown fuse issue with a new 1080. So, is there anyway for me to easily tell whether or not my 1080 has the new fix? I really dont want to hook everything up only to find that the fuse will blow and have to take everything apart and drive to my dealer for repair which could take weeks. I cant be without my beloved music for that long!

Thanks for the help.

Nervously excited....
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

I'm not sure how to tell if it is a new model with the fix or not, but i purchased my 1080 in February of this year and was told by the dealer it was new stock - I actually had to wait two weeks for it to come in while I used the dealers model.
    Anyways, I have had zero problems with it and I leave it on 99% of the time. I only shut it down if I go out of town.
    This amp made a noticeable improvement to my set up. Much more dynamic even at lower volumes.
    I beleive you are going to enjoy this purchase very much.
    Congratulations.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

It won't blow. I have the 805s and I had a RB-991 for a short while and maxed out that baby and the speakers were just fine. No clipping or distortion and still perfect speaker.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• marekk
        • Jun 2005

I've bought mine in March 2005 and after not even 3 months the resistor went bad... Rotel fixed the issue (fuse, resistor and capacitor upgrade on both channels) durung little over two weeks period, and the amp plays good.
        I think that you should not worry, and if it needs to be serviced you will take it. I think that the level of enjoyment that the amp provides is worth an occasional pain of being apart. In any case - good luck, and have fun with it - 1080 makes the difference!

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

The fuse replacement takes maybe 15minutes - so its no big deal ... bit like servicing a temperamental Italian sports car...!!!

I have had mine for 2 years now had a few blown fuses but I won't get rid of it ... unless I get the 1090 that is 8) !

My unit is an "old" version and have not bothered to have it "upgraded". You have nothing to worry about.

Rgds Steve

Comment

• Taito
            • Sep 2004

No fuse issues over here. Congratulations. It really is a good amp!
            -Ben

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

No fuse issues with my 1080 purchased new earlier this year.

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

No fuse issues with my 1080 (with RC-1070 and RCD-1072) either here, since March. Let's cross the fingers though!!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"