RB-1080 fuse fix details

Hi,

does someone know more details about the RB-1080
    fuse "fix"? As far as I understood the 4 Amp-PS fuses
    will be changed from 6.3A to 8A together with some
    Resistors and Caps.

Which Resistors, which caps, values?

It seems that most/all people having problems with
    blowing fuses on the 1080 are from the US or Australia.
    What about european versions of the amp, are they
    affected too??

Thanks.
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

I had the full upgrade done in early June after have multiple left channel failures, below is an extract from a Rotel reply regarding the upgrade. I found the local distributor very helpful and haven't had a problem since the upgrade, hope this helps.

---------------------------------------

"Our Service Dept. advised yesterday that parts had arrived and will be fitted to your replacement amp in the next day or two.

Reports from both the UK and USA are calling this a full cure for the problem.

One pint that is now clear is that it is connected to the type of speaker cable and speakers used. Out of the 1000s of units now in use world wide only a small number has shown this problem.

We will be replacing the 6.3A use with 8A, The capacitors are changed to a higher temperature rating and the resistor is having its power rating increased."

---------------------------------------

I guess I was one of the unlucky ones who had the unfavourable combinaton of speakers, cable etc. I use the 12V trigger and will continue to use it, I think if it did fail again I would sell it and buy a different amp, I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers however I really don't think the speakers where an issue related to the fuse failure as they have a relatively high sensitivity and are easy to drive.

John.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Mitchell
      • Sep 2004

I have many post on the issue of 1080 fuses. If you check for previous posts you will find quite a bit of info.
      I will be happy to reiterate what I remember if you do not find what you are looking for.
      Mitchell
      Mitchell

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"