X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pyroponic
    • Apr 2005

Rt1080 = Worth the money?

$500 seems pretty ridiculous to spend on a AM/FM tuner, what makes this one "worth the money?"
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Pyrotonic,

Short answer - "sounds great"

Makes FM music more enjoyable (like a fine CD player makes good CDs sound excellent.

Oh - and it matches the rest of the Rotel 10 series in looks...

But it all depends on how often (and how seriously) you listen to the radio.

Geoff

Comment

• NewBuyer
      • Feb 2005

I thought it was pretty expensive too. After hearing this tuner in the store and then trying it at home though, it sounded so much better than the other tuners we heard that we decided it was a "keeper".

It is really surprising just how good this tuner sounds.

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

I guess the bottom line is, is it worth it to you? It was worth it to me. Matched my system just right. And has great sound. I know that this doesn't sound like a big deal, but having dual antenna input is nice. I have 2 antennas in my attic. One points east and one west. Really helps out here in the country. Even on Ebay these tuners are commanding a fare price. But still cheaper than new.

Comment

• pyroponic
          • Apr 2005

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but i'll ask it anyway. I'm assuming that once the Rotel tuner is set up, I can output the sound from my processor to some sort of recording device, either digitally or analog?

Comment

• EAmin
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
            Pyrotonic,

Short answer - "sounds great"

Makes FM music more enjoyable (like a fine CD player makes good CDs sound excellent.

Oh - and it matches the rest of the Rotel 10 series in looks...

But it all depends on how often (and how seriously) you listen to the radio.

Geoff
            Agree with all that was stated above as I own one, but I would say wait for the RT-1084 with Sirius Sat Radio built-in. Don't know when it is coming out, but I think it is this year.

Comment

• weijst
              • Jun 2004

I recently added the RT-1080 to my 1068/1075 system. It is a very decent tuner indeed! I'm feeding it with a cable signal which, in my case, resultst in a 100% reception. However I cannot say performance is that much better than the approximately 1/3 of the price NAD C422 I had before...

The main reason I got the RT-1080 was to get a matching system, which is what I've got. What frustrates me though is that the format size on the RT-1080 display is clearly larger than the one they've used on the 1068 display. (And come to think of it, so is the format size above the buttons (see attachement).

Do I think it's worth the money?: NO
              Would I sell it?: no

Anyway, have you also considered the RT-02?
              Attached Files
              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

My dealer (in Canada) just told me that the RT-02 is discontinued since a month or so... I guess it was just too much of a good deal Or they have too many RT-1080 in stock to put the RT-1084 on the market!

I am also told that an antenna (preference for a good exterior one) will give alot better reception than cable.

Comment

• weijst
                  • Jun 2004

I have a hard time believing the RT-02 will be discontinued any time soon. At least not until Rotel brings out a (digital) successor fot it. It is not supposed to compete with the 10xx series. The reason it does is because of the price of the RT-1080 and the fact Rotel uses the same silver / grey on both lines, sothat people might consider adding the RT-02 instead of the RT-1080 to their 10xx series system.

Regarding a cable signal; isn't it so an antenna signal is more prone to noise because of atmospheric interference?
                  Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• gwernaffield
                    • Jul 2005

best tuner i have heard in the united kingdom cost nearly twice the $ price i.e $780 :T

Comment

• KathyMason
                      • Nov 2004

Great tuner, CD-like quality sound, looks great, matches up very nicely with Rotel equipment, worth the price of what sound quality and wider sound you get from it. My previous tuner cost me quite a bit more, but the Rotel RT-1080 out performed it it in several areas, so I sold it and kept my RT-1080!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"