X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpmckenzie
    • Aug 2003

1066 bass management fix - quick question

I'm getting ready to do the fix and want to take a try at installing the switch as described in this:

http://www.datasync.com/~firebird/1066/

My question is: Is the info correct in the above directioons/web site? No offense to the author (I know Andrew provided some info as well), I just want to do my due diligence so I don't screw anything up.

Okay, so maybe a couple more questions. Anyone else install the switch? Any hints? Was it as simple as it appears? Would I be better off just snipping the resistors and skipping the switch?

Lastly, this does not void the Rotel warranty (provided I don't mess anything else up), correct?

So maybe they weren't quick questions, but this is my favorite toy we're talking about here.

Thanks in advance.
    D
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

No offense taken...

It was pretty straight forward and simple. If you don't have much experience with soldering, just snip them. It's a little tricky soldering wires to the board.

The switch makes it easy to A/B the difference and decide for yourself if you like the "problem" or not. I did it for resell. I run a self induced bass management problem (Large speakers and sub=MAX), so it sounds better with the redirect in place, but the person who purchases my preamp might want the option.

The snip won't void the warranty, but soldering extra things to the board and drilling a hole in the case might.

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Okay, so maybe a couple more questions. Anyone else install the switch? Any hints? Was it as simple as it appears? Would I be better off just snipping the resistors and skipping the switch?

Lastly, this does not void the Rotel warranty (provided I don't mess anything else up), correct?
      After talking with Rotel I would now advise you to only snip the two resistors and not install a switch. Installing the switch means every tech would easily see the users modded the unit whereas most would completely miss a couple of snipped resistors. I'm not implying that you should try to deceive Rotel in anyway just you're likely to run into less resistance if they don't notice it

Comment

• dpmckenzie
        • Aug 2003

Thanks guys. And, Kevin, sorry not to mention your credit, but I forgot who posted the website (very nicely done, by the way).

So, I'm leaning towards just snipping the resistors now. For all of those who have done it, is it better?

I'm running a Pioneer 47ai into the 5.1 inputs and listen to a bit of DVD-A and SACD (with 601s 602s, series 1, in front and back). I think I hear the doubling problem, but without a comparison, I'm not sure.

The doubling would only occur between about 55-100hz, I think.

Thanks.

Comment

• SomaJoe
          • Jul 2003

The fix was definitely an improvement for me because I want to redirect at 60Hz, and 100Hz. I wanted to use an Outlaw ICBM to set the crossover point with SACD/DVD-A sources, and there was no other way to disable the 1066 built-in BM.

Joe's HT
          Joe's HT

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"