X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

C2 Bass Management Questions Among Other Things

Before I start, let me say I have searched and read most all I could on this subject in this forum and could not come to a definite conclusion, hence the questions. Also I love the sound of this unit. I just "traded down" from a Lexicon MC-8 to save some money to put into theater seating and I do not feel slighted at all. Yes I do miss Logic 7 and all its flexibility but as a music prepro and all other straight DD and DTS sources, I love the sound coming out of my speakers even more than before. I also have to give a shout out to Brent Huskins at Media Design in DFW. He hooked me up on this prepro and he is the Halo man if you are in the market.

I currently am wondering about the LFE output on the Halo C2. I have an NHT speaker system. The fronts are a VT system with dual powered 10's in each speaker and they are flat to 21hz. Naturally I want to run these as large. I also have a Stryke Powercube as a sub. All my surrounds and center are set as small and crossed over at 80hz. I have the sub filter set to on @ 80hz and EBass off. My question is where does all the LFE go and does EBass effect the LFE or just double the bass from the mains? I know from reading that the surrounds and center send their bass to the sub. I know that the mains are producing all their own bass. I just am hoping they are not trying to produce the LFE track as well. My preference would be the sub get 100% LFE only and let the mains handle all the redirected bass (no LFE content). I do not know if this would be a perfect setup or not and maybe someone could point out why this may not work well. I have thought of programming one of the Aux outs for 100% LFE only and then set the sub to off. I am pretty sure this would give me what I am looking for but it may still send all the LFE to the fronts mains as well and just double it to the sub in this case. I definitely do not want this. I hope my question is understandable and please ask questions if you need clarification.

As for music, everything seems perfect. I run a Sony 555ES SACD player into the 7.1 bypass. I do not connect the sub and set the sub to off in the Sony. For the majority of my 2 channel and multichannel this works great. I also have a source setup with the Coax digital out on the ES and let the Halo decode. I honestly cannot tell much of a difference and slightly prefer the ES's dacs. This just shows me how good a bypass preamp the Halo is. Anyway, this configuration allows me to have the sub if I want it for 2 channel by switching EBass on or off and it allows me to try the Natural mode which is pretty good.

I really like the Halo and its flexibility. On first glance, I did not think it was a good prepro because it was limited for BM but after really looking into it, it is more flexible than almost anything else because of the aux outputs.

Another question I have is about the presets. I have one preset set up with the sub level at -12db. I have assigned this preset to 2 separate inputs which I use for music only. I was thinking that when I assigned these presets the settings were only valid for those inputs. I found tonight when I switch to an input associated to the preset and then switch back to another "non-associated" input my sub level stays at -12db. What I am doing wrong here or is this just a software bug? Any tips on the presets would be appreciated.

Finally, any word on the latest round of updates. I have been told by Parasound and others that the next update will be very comprehensive. So much so that it is going to suprise many people on what all you can get on a Halo processor. They have to keep up with all the other prepros out there and they want to make this product last for 4-5 years. This update is supposed to catch them up and even put them ahead of all the others in their class. Parasound also told me that they may make the next round an ala carte upgrade where you can pick and chosse what you want to download and update. Tony at Parasound said that many may not need alot of the 2nd Zone capabilities they will offer and can use the processing power to implement other things. I am all for this as I could care less about Zone 2 but want all the tweaks I can get otherwise. This will all be well and good as soon as we see the proof.
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

Did I stump the band? No help or advice from anyone on the Halo forum?
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle

Comment

• Kingdaddy
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by awtryau89
      My question is where does all the LFE go and does EBass effect the LFE or just double the bass from the mains?
      EBASS allows the full lo-pass frequency from the internal LFE/Bass crossover
      to go to both the Sub and Main Speakers simultaneously, think of them as paralleled.

Try the Programmable outputs, they should be able to do nearly any combination you would need.

I hear the same about the upgrade in progress, it will be a great add-on.
      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

From what I know, setting the Extended Bass to ON will send both LFE frequencies to the subwoofer and your mains, just like King Daddy stated. However, having your mains set to LARGE, but not having EBass engaged, all the LFE information gets sent straight to your mains and none to your subwoofer. This is what 2-channel purists usually use, but I'm one of those guys who are in the multi-channel camp.

As for your presets, it could be a software malfunction, but I highly doubt it. I suggest you go back into the Halo menu and check to see what every input is assigned to, in terms of presets. It's probably best to make one of the presets (say, preset #1 for simplicities sake), a standard "no changes made" preset. Thus, you can tweak and adjust presets for certain sources to your hearts content, such as the CD player or DVD player, but for all those sources you wish to remain untouched, like your TV or VCR or HD tuner, just set them to your preset #1.

To answer your final question, unfortunately, I have no clue as to when Parasound is going to release a new firmware version. If you look somewhere down in this forum though, we have a Parasound wish list where we posted everything we wanted to do with the "upgradable" section at the back of the C1/C2 units, such as USB compatibility, extra aux. inputs, etc.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
          • Jan 2004

The upgrade we were talking about is a Hardware upgrade, and it will be a doosy, probably will be expensive as well. I'll go out on a limb and guess it will cost about $1200-$1500 for the unit, but it should be worth it.

Comment

• DrBoom
            • Dec 2003

To be honest I could care less about HDMI, DVI and USB whatever.
            But I would like to see some more advanced form of bass-managment, like Rotel uses in it's processors.
            Separate crossovers for each speakers isn't necessary, but I would like to be able to set my fronts as large for stereo signals, and to small for DD and DTS.
            I haven't seen it since it's not available here, but my idea of an almost perfect processor would be Anthem's D1 Statement.
            I'm not talking about sound, purely functionality and possibilities.

Which leads me to the point of what would be feasible to do in a software upgrade, and what would require a hardware upgrade.
            I'd think that bassmanagment is purely software, so that should be possible.
            And if possible finer settings for speaker distance, 1 ft (30 cm) increments isn't going to cut it, there are lots of cheaper receivers out there with 0.3 ft (10 cm) increments.
            This should also be software related, if the processing power is available.
            Component upconversion I guess would require hardware upgrade, so would DVI/HDMI/USB obviously.
            And I would've like to see a full analog bypass possibility on at least 1 or 2 analog inputs, preferably all of them.
            Now the only true analog inputs are the multichannel input, and the balanced input, which isn't useable unless you use balanced connections all the way to the power amplifier since the signal from the balanced input isn't sent to the unbalanced outputs.

C'mon Parasound, what's keeping that software update ?

Comment

• nicholtl
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DrBoom
              To be honest I could care less about HDMI, DVI and USB whatever.
              But I would like to see some more advanced form of bass-managment...I would like to be able to set my fronts as large for stereo signals, and to small for DD and DTS.

Component upconversion I guess would require hardware upgrade...
              Yes! These are the 2 things I'd want most as well.

Comment

• Omen
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrBoom
                Separate crossovers for each speakers isn't necessary, but I would like to be able to set my fronts as large for stereo signals, and to small for DD and DTS.
                Amen to that.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                  • Jan 2004

Hear, Hear, I vote for this as well, I much prefer my mains to Large with SACD 6-ch and Large with ebass on for PCM 2-ch. But I noticed the with any digital connection I prefer my mains set to small.

Even a switch would be nice, just so you don’t have to go through any menus. You should put this on the wish list above, I’ll jump on board.

Comment

• nicholtl
                    • Aug 2003

Allow me to jump on the bandwagon and say I third this vote.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"