X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dotay
    • Oct 2004

Soldering tips/tutorials

I recently purchased a soldering station based on this thread to solder the wires to binding posts on my sub and for my upcoming speaker projects. I think I have come to the conclusion that I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to soldering. I don't know if I was using the wrong materials (I bought some Radio Shack 4% silver solder) or I wasn't using enough heat but the solder just didn't seem to want to flow onto the wire quite like I was expecting.

Before I go frying expensive caps by using too much heat I'd like to get some tips from people who actually know what they're doing. In addition to that if there is a good tutorial (lots of pictures) for n00bs like me that would be extremely beneficial.

Also, a list of necessary equipment would be nice. I felt like I needed a third hand a lot of the time while I was working. Is there some sort of holder people use or something?
    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:31 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • MDJones
    • Sep 2005

Here is a good basic one, it even has movies!

And another, not really as good:

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

And here is another one http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm. Remember that a good mechanical connection is part of the joint also.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

There are 3 movies on Tangent's website.

They are:
        1. General overview of equipment and solder types
        2. Basic soldering tutorial, standard PCB soldering
        3. Slightly more advanced, surface mount components
        Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

One 'trick' is very hot iron and very short time in contact with the component.

Silver solder has a higher melting temperature, and the higher the silver content the higher the melting temperature. So one needs a very hot iron to work with it.

To the rescue of the soldering noobie comes George Cardas and his Quad Eutectic solder. It flows so easily it would take a bind man to mess up a joint. The downside is of course cost. SonicCraft sells the 1lb spools for 1/2 the cost of other retailers. A 1lb spool of solder is a lifetime supply for most people .

Jonmarsh who knows solder inside out, backwards, forwards, and upside down, says Cardas Quad Eutectic is the finest solder on the planet.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
            SonicCraft sells the 1lb spools for 1/2 the cost of other retailers.
            Wow, and they're in Hot Springs. Just a couple of hours from me...that's almost next door compared to any hi-fi dealers.
            Danish

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Those are some great links. I know I had this same question when I started. This would probably be a good addition to the archived thread sticky.

Question, that first link talks alot about how the wire should heat up "instantly". It looked like he was using a pretty thin wire though. When I was sodering with 12ga wire, a 60W Tenma solder station, and that same RS 4% silver solder; it seemed like it took a minute or so for the wire to heat up to the point where the solder would flow. Definitely not the "instantanous" that the link implies. Is that just the thicker gauge, or was it me?

Edit: Thomas posted while I was reading and typing. I think he answered it my question.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dotay
                • Oct 2004

Thanks for the replies. :T I'll read through some of the links with the videos once I get home from work.

I had a similar problem to K in that I was using 12ga wire and it seemed to not heat up for a long time.

Is there such a thing as turning up the iron too high? For the station I have would it be easier to use if I simply crank up the temperature all the way?

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
                  • Dec 2005

i think the main thing to remember is that the solder is attracted to the heat. i usually put the gun on one side of the connection, and the solder on the other. but i have a 100/140watt gun, makes it really easy to work with the silver. takes about 2-5 seconds of contact, depending on the gauge wire. but i dont use the gun on pc boards. (have limited expreience with them anyways.)

also, a pair of "helping hands" like this one is helpful, although you dont really need the magnifying glass.

chris

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dotay
                    Thanks for the replies. :T I'll read through some of the links with the videos once I get home from work.

I had a similar problem to K in that I was using 12ga wire and it seemed to not heat up for a long time.

Is there such a thing as turning up the iron too high? For the station I have would it be easier to use if I simply crank up the temperature all the way?
                    if you have the temp up real high, then you could possibly damage some components if you really heat them up. i found that i can drop a little solder on the bare speaker wire, and the touch the components to the wire, that way the leads are not real hot for a long time, and the heat will stay mostly localized.

chris

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

The idea behind a really hot iron is it instantly heats most wires so the heat doesn't travel far.

I use a Weller WTCPT station. It's a production station designed to keep the assembly line user from adjusting the temp of their iron. The heat is controlled by changing out the tips. I use a tip with either 700 or 800 F. This works fine for everything from little integrated circuits to big heavy lead crossover caps.

The other important consideration is the gauge of the solder. Thick is fine for crossovers. Thin is mandatory for PCB work.

I prefer 'organic core' solder for PCB work, because one can easily clean off the flux with soap and H2O. Standard core flux removers aren't environmentally friendly.

A word to the wise, lead based solders are going to completely disappear in the not too distant future. My advise is stock up now while you can....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Just a side note for soldering:
                        When I went to "Crown School" as a service tech in the 80's, one of the tasks on the test at the end of the course was to take a 14 pin dip IC and solder and desolder it 10 times on a factory circuit board. The final result was compared to a factory solder job and that was part of the grade.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

When I went to "Crown School" as a service tech in the 80's.....
                          I bet you learned to use high temp iron....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

The idea behind a really hot iron is it instantly heats most wires so the heat doesn't travel far.

I use a Weller WTCPT station. It's a production station designed to keep the assembly line user from adjusting the temp of their iron. The heat is controlled by changing out the tips. I use a tip with either 700 or 800 F. This works fine for everything from little integrated circuits to big heavy lead crossover caps.
                            I've always set my station a bit above the melting point of the solder, say ~50F higher. I've got a few circuit boards I use for practice, I'm going to crank it up and see what happens.
                            Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

This is what I use...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sl30.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	943384
                              Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:28 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
                              Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I have two of these.

Name:	4478.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	943385

One's 25yrs old and was given to me. Later I bought another one so I didn't have to go up and down stairs all the time...

My recommendation is buy one and will it to your grandchildren..... :B
                                Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:28 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

Mine has performed great, I've had it for 4 years or so. I don't think I've ever changed the tip, I have a whole box of new ones, so it's probably about time.

It's nice to have a decent iron. I went through many of the cheap ones before I got this one.
                                  Danish

Comment

• TacoD
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Feb 2004

A word to the wise, lead based solders are going to completely disappear in the not too distant future. My advise is stock up now while you can....
                                    I agree with that!! I have some Sn96% Ag4% solder and it's hard to solder using 12 awg or thicker wire with my 50W soldering station.

Image not available

I prefer lead based solder. WBT silver solder is a lot better but to expensive for me.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:29 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• chasw98
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

I bet you learned to use high temp iron....:wink:
                                      You bet, but I also picked a ultratorch butane powered iron that is very handy.

Name:	ssiu2.webp
Views:	30
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	943386
                                      Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:30 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

I'm starting to feel very inadaquate with my $20 soldering iron.
                                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• HMenke
                                          • Feb 2006

I have two of these.
                                          These are used in production at the company where I work. I can confirm that they are great irons and probably the last you'll ever need to buy.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"