X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcajiga
    • Aug 2003

Definitive Technology Speakers setup

This is a message for people that have any speaker with integrated Sub-Woofer that is directly connected to the LFE of the receiver/processor.

I own Deft. Tech. 7001 speaker with integrated SW and have the SW portion of the speakers connected to the Rotel 1098 processor. The issue is with the DELAY setup. Since I own a separate SW as well, I setup the DELAY options based on the speakers' distance to the listening area and then setup the external SW differently since it is located closer than the fron speakers. This ended up with a setup of Front and center with 12 feet and the SW with 4 feet. Well, since the front speakers have the SW integrated, I was pulling my hair moving the speakers and SW around all the room because the bass sounded boomy. Well, I discovered that in my case, I needed to setup the DELAY of the SW the same as the Front speakers in order to have a punchy and clear bass. Now the sound is awesome!!!

I don't know if I explained myself clear since English is not my first language, but the issue is that you should setup the DELAY of the front speakers (with integrated SW) the same as the external SW (if you have ny). Otherwise, the bass will be delayed within the same speakers (fronts) causing a double bass output that affect the purity of the sound. I need to point out that in my case, I have the 1098 SW setup to MAX.

My point is that you will need to experiment with your setup until you get the sound you like. I'm a Videophile more than Audiophile and love to watch movies with a very punchy bass that is not only heared but felt in your body.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Regardsw,
    Luis

Regards,
    Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
    Regards,
    Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

• sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

your english seemed fine.

I heard that the human ear cant even hear low frequencies until it bounces off something, or goes a distance of like 30 feet. I dont remember exactly, but i think its just crazy. thats the whole reason why it doesnt necessarily matter where you put a sub..
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
      • Sep 2003

Sub placement is one of the most important things in a home theatre, anyone that thinks otherwise needs to do some research, on the net, and in their own listening room.

Good to hear that your SC towers are rockin' away bro! Your post was informative, and congrats on getting the delay setup correctly. I will not have this problem, as I won't be running the LFE to my mains. That is unless I get bored and feel like experimenting 8)

Regardless, thanks for the headsup. The 7001's will be a part of my system soon! 8O

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
      GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• lcajiga
        • Aug 2003

SpOoNmAn, glad you will get the 7001, they are awesome speakers. I encourage you to use the LFE of those speakers. I use a Monster Cable splitter to run the LFE cable to both speakers and even without the SW, those towers rock. As a matter of fact, Definitive Technologies re-enginnered those speakers and now they don't come with an adjustable crossover like the old ones and now cannot be tri-wired. They also recommends to use the LFE inputs and setup the receiver/processor with no crossover cut to allow the speakers to make the crossover internally. That way you will take the most from the speakers. Just have that in consideration and of course, experiment.

Regards,
        Luis

Regards,
        Luis

Regards,
        Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by lcajiga
          SpOoNmAn, glad you will get the 7001, they are awesome speakers. I encourage you to use the LFE of those speakers. I use a Monster Cable splitter to run the LFE cable to both speakers and even without the SW, those towers rock. As a matter of fact, Definitive Technologies re-enginnered those speakers and now they don't come with an adjustable crossover like the old ones and now cannot be tri-wired. They also recommends to use the LFE inputs and setup the receiver/processor with no crossover cut to allow the speakers to make the crossover internally. That way you will take the most from the speakers. Just have that in consideration and of course, experiment.

Regards,
          Luis
          Me? Experiment? Ofcourse!!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
          GameTracker -My List-

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"